quick drop in ferritin

buffalobillsfan

I had annual labs done this week for my hematologist. I had iron infusions in November 2013 which kept my iron and ferritin up well for almost a year.
I had my annual labs done for Dr Rabkin just before my bowel obstruction surgery in October 2014. My values were:
Iron 35
Ferritin 136

After my bowel obstruction surgery in November 2014 my ferritin was 150 (iron wasn't done).

Ferritin usually bounced around from 135-150 for the last 6 months. Iron was 35-50 during this same time frame.

The labs I had this week were iron 32 and ferritin was 53. I am scheduled for iron infusions for the next 2 Fridays.

I am just getting around to charting the last few months of lab values because of the surgery I just didn't get to it until now. My hematologist didn't have any of my labs from Rabkin or PCP, only his from this year and last year. I didn't realize the huge decrease until I got home.

What would cause such a huge drop of 100 points in 2 months to ferritin? I did have a very heavy period at the time the labs were done. Should I call the hemo doc and tell him my prior labs before my infusion in case something is wrong? Thanks!

My ferritin over the last few years - can you guess when my infusions were?:
2014ferritin_zps6841d37e.jpg

So, I spoke with my Hemo doctor and he agrees that a 100 point drop in 2 months is a concern. He wants me to see a GI doctor. Any recommendations in the San Jose/Campbell/Los Gatos area?
I also got a bill for my portion of the ambulance ride from El Camino Hospital to CPMC....$3200 (they paid $800) !!!! They stated that I could have had my surgery where I was so they don't pay and it was also out of network. I need to figure out a strategy for appeal.
And my car needs all 4 tires and new brakes. Yippee!

Regarding the hemalogist - I just discovered that my guy in San Mateo (whom Dr. Rabkin recommended and I've been seeing for 5+ years) RETIRED at the end of the year - in the middle of my current round of infusions - and nobody mentioned it to me! So I'm busy looking for one down here to follow up with me. Have a call into Henderson's office, Rabkin and my PCP at PAMF - when I find one, I'll let you know.

You need a letter from Rabkin explaining your special medical needs and why you had to be transported to CPMC. And then appeal it if they continue to deny.

Regarding the hemalogist - I just discovered that my guy in San Mateo (whom Dr. Rabkin recommended and I've been seeing for 5+ years) RETIRED at the end of the year - in the middle of my current round of infusions - and nobody mentioned it to me! So I'm busy looking for one down here to follow up with me. Have a call into Henderson's office, Rabkin and my PCP at PAMF - when I find one, I'll let you know.

You need a letter from Rabkin explaining your special medical needs and why you had to be transported to CPMC. And then appeal it if they continue to deny.

I have a hematologist I've been with for a year. I like him. http://www.vmoc.com/our-centers/los-gatos/ I see Dr Labban there. They have a lab right in the office. I'm getting infusions tomorrow and next Friday.
I sent Matt an email asking him to explain that I have a unique configuration and that it wasn't advisable for me to drive myself as I was in a medical crisis. Crossing my fingers.
Let me know if you here of a good GI doc.

@buffalobillsfan I wish you well on all this. It sounds like your doing way better, just need to get that back on track. You already know, but...listen to Diana, she'll get you the money back for those new tires and brakes and maybe even a limo ride :D

"Let me know if you here of a good GI doc."
I've been using Dr. James Torosis for 15 years, and have him "broken in" on DS issues: http://www.gipractice.com/ I had IBS prior to my DS (and still do, but it's better). He has an office in Mountain View near El Camino Hospital.

Latest posts

Back