Question about keeping track

DBmom23

Hi everyone,

I introduced myself yesterday, and i hope this is the right way to pose a question (please don't hesitate to let me know if i'm not doing things right--though i think this group is not one to hold back!)

I am wondering if you could share what has worked/not worked for you in the post-op (also pre-op) setting where you need to so carefully monitor intake wrt grams of protein consumed, ounces drunk, vitamins taken. Is there one or more than one tool that has been particularly helpful for you to keep everything organized?

Thank you!

I think, quite a few of us use My Fitness Pal. It is a free app for your smartphone and download on your computer. Although, they now have a premium version that costs about $10.00 a month if you want that one. I haven't read much about it but, I do recall it was designed to be used with a low carb diet. I just use the free app.

http://www.myfitnesspal.com

There are others available, one with fitbit I believe.

I have used MFP since my pre-op diet. I don't pay much attention to the calories. I mainly use it to monitor my protein, carbs and fat intake. I also monitor water, vitamins and medicines. I record my medicines and vitamins as meals and enter them when taken.

I somewhat used myfitnesspal early on, but really after a while you learn how much protein is in what you eat. Protein is all I have ever tracked. I don't worry about calories or carbs. I try not to over do carbs, just like many normies, but I do not track them or fear them. That is me and it works for me, but like everything if I see things going the wrong way I adjust.... Obviously one can't eat doughnuts, cake and ice cream everyday and think it isn't going to have adverse impact to our weight and health... That being said weight is not my overarching concern, my health is number 1.

Sounds like you are preparing well for this major lifestyle change and will do well. Best wishes to you.

I also use mfp...I don't care about calories...I make sure I hit my protein and fat goals and stay under my carb goal. I love mfp...it makes it very easy to track and I track everything I eat.
I don't use it to track votes and fluids...I have my med center with my daily compartmentalized vitamin containers. I track by making sure it's empty every night. I take my vites 4 times a day and I drink a bottle of water with each dose...so that's my minimum of 64oz of water. I drink more than that but I know I've at least hit the minimum.

Oh, also, for water I have travel bottles and thermoses that I tally how many I need to drink each day, and I have alarms set on my phone for vites

I have alarms on my jawbone up for when I need to take my vitamins and medicines. I put them on MFP everyday so if I ever need to show a doctor what I have taken that day, there they are :barefoot: all listed out!

Sounds like MFP is a winner--will have to give it a try and get used to it now before surg.

Thank you all!

Latest posts

Back