puzzled on leg cramps... any ideas ?

ginger

Okay who gets cramps, horrid in the calfs, in the toes (where the toes bends and like locks in position), shooting pain sometimes into the thigh ? My labs have been good, Potassium runs 4.2-4.6. Magnesium runs 2.1 or 2.2 and sodium is 137-142 on the last 3 lab draws. I am hydrated and protein levels are 6.2 - 6.8 . Happens mostly in the evening or at night and seems to be getting worse. What am I missing looking at ? The only thing that helps is getting up and trying to walk until it quits. Can last up to 15 minutes at a stretch. Its horrid when I wake up during the night and have to pee and can hardly stand up due to the pain. Thank you

I don't have a DS, but the only time I've gotten those is when I went really ketogenic.. likely a combo of fluid dumping, and low potassium or pot/mg imbalance. I at the time added some salt, and took potassium tabs, but anymore, I just don't go very low carb, and no longer get those. The worst were the inner thigh muscle cramping up, or the outside calf.. I would have soreness for a couple days after a really bad bout of night cramps and learned not to point my toes while stretching in the morning as that would set it off at times. Hope you figure it out, that was the worst side effect I had during the time I was actively losing weight.

I'm going to guess dehydration is at work here, though you didn't mention your calcium levels which could also be a factor. Dehydration can be insidious. Many times we think we are well hydrated even when we're not. Muscle cramping is a classic sign, and unless you have a calcium deficiency, it would be my guess it's your problem. How are your vitamin levels...especially B 12?

This subject seems to come up every few months. There are a few threads with no clear answers. All I can say is me too.

Put a bar of soap in your bed. Just unwrap a bar of soap, slide it between the sheets, push it to the foot of the bed. No more leg cramps. Don't ask me why this works, it just does.

For whatever it’s worth ladies, this was discussed in depth on some previous threads a while back and someone, (I forget who)?? Suggested using these Hyland's, Leg Cramp tablets. My Wife and her Mother (seems to be a genetic component behind this as well) get leg cramps really bad and after they started taking those things, the cramps went away. They absolutely think they’re miracle pills and swear by them now and your post just reminded me that I need to order some more. I get them from Amazon and here’s the link.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00013YZGQ?psc=1&redirect=true&ref_=oh_aui_detailpage_o01_s00

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
Thank you everyone. I checked my calcium levels, last 3 were 8.9, 9.0 and 9.2. I do use Hylands as well and it does not help, I am going to increase water. I put a water tracker on my cell this a.m. Maybe I am not drinking enough and I just think I am. My B12 is good at 886 the last 3 draws as well as my other vits, which is why I am so puzzled. I did have one person message me and mention that when their D3 level was too high they had problems, but when they got it down to about 50 it went away and mine is 73 to 70, so maybe I will cut back there as well. Oh and I do not wear heels. I wish I could, but not with spinal fusion.

Latest posts

Back