PT and INR labs HELP PLEASE!!!!!

Amey

What does a high PT and INR lab level mean? And what is the treatment and how long does it take to be effective?

PT = 19.1 (Range 9.0-12.9)
INR = 1.85 (Range 0.80-1.20)
PTT = 30.8 (Range 24-34)

Google tells me it has something to do with my blood not clotting but everything refers to it being caused by taking Warfarin...which I don't take! I'm finding everything from liver disease to hemophilia to low Vitamin K - But I have been taking K2 for over a month and my blood clotting has never been an issue.

My surgeon is sending me to a hematologist tomorrow....and the hematologist is delaying his vacation just to see me. Even better...I have to be cleared by him before I can have surgery to take out my lap band on the 25th.

I'm just going to hope and pray that the blood test was screwed up somehow. The lab tech didn't wrap any of the tubes of blood that she filled to protect them from light....and I'm hoping that having it exposed to light screwed it up and it's nothing to worry about....yea...that's what I'm going to tell myself.

I am a worrier...I am totally freaking out. Not just because of the lab tests and having an emergency appt with a hematologist but because my employer is getting irritated with the time I am missing from work for doctor appointments. I had to miss 4 hours today to attend a required class by my surgeon. And no....my employer does not qualify to have to allow me FMLA because they don't meet the requirements.

Googling things will make you think you are going to die!! I think I'm going to go take a hot shower and try to just breathe.

Lab Test Online has a good lay person's explanation re PT/INR test. I know that people who take warfarin (anti-coagulant) following dangerous clots must have monthly INR levels checked to make sure the medication is managing blood viscosity to prevent future blood clotting.
There can be other consumed substances affecting PT/INR levels such as Vit K intake either through food or supplements, antibiotics, hormone replacement therapy, etc. I'd suggest you articulate to your hematologist some of these items you may be consuming. Also if you have any known family history of clotting disorders.

I read the lab test online page. But it just talked about people who take warfarin. I don't take that so it wasn't much help. Hopefully this is an easy fix and not going to be a whole other Pandora's box. I'll post again after I see the hemotologist today.

Googling things will make you think you are going to die!! I think I'm going to go take a hot shower and try to just breathe.
Dr. Google can have you from healthy to dead in three clicks!

Okay, BREATHE! If there is an issue, it will be handled. I know that vitamin K CAN be given as a shot to help raise values quickly. It's one of the few vitamins that is available in a shot.

Let us know how this works out. Swinging critters for you.

This is very unusual in someone not taking warfarin or other "blood thinners". Please let us know what you find out from the hematologist.

They also mentioning testing other things. My heme did that. I had no Vit. K for a couple of years, it finally registered.

The hemotologist retested my pro time. It was one point lower than before but still high. I got a Vitamin K shot and more blood tests for liver issues. I have to be tested again in a week.... Note my surgery is scheduled for 10 days. My PT has to be in range to be cleared for surgery. I'm really worried.

The hemotologist is in the Cancer Center.... It hit me that I'm the same age as my mom when she died of cancer and I'm sitting, alone, in the Cancer Center. It was a rough day.

@Amey, I'm sorry you had such a rough day but glad your elevated PT is being treated. I wonder if it was caused by your diet being so poor due to all the problems with the band, like maybe you became Vitamin K deficient from that. We will probably never know.

Last year, or maybe it was the year before, I didn't get my flu shot when they had a special set up for them and ended up getting it in the infusion clinic, which means the oncology clinic. So like you, there I was in the waiting room with lots of cancer patients, including some who looked pretty bad off. It reminded me of how fortunate I am, even with having gone through being MO and needing bariatric surgery, for the health and quality of life that I have. I didn't even care how long I had to wait for that shot. If you have to go there again, and it sounds like you will, try to look at it from that point of view. Maybe it will help a little.

Thank you everyone for all the support!! @Larra the Vit K issue very likely is a cause of my band issues and not being able to eat healthy...sliders have been my life for over a year. I doesn't think to look at the Cancer Center like that.... I will look at it differently from now on... And be thankful that I have been able to watch all my kids grow up. My baby sister was 8 when my mom died.... My baby will be 18 in Tuesday. Thanks for the reality check! :)

Amey, Sorry you've had a rough go of it and hope your PT gets in range in time for your DS not to be delayed.

Well FINALLY something good is happening! Congrats on your clearance. Now just get set for Friday. this is great news.

I was about to post "sorry" for your rough day and then you posted good news. Glad for you that your surgery is a go!

Latest posts

Back