Psych eval. today--it's starting to feel real. That questionnaire tho...

writegirl

Work in Progress
Who comes up with the 500 question questionnaire? Mine had yes/no prompts like: "I enjoy reading mechanical magazines" and "I think I would enjoy the job of a librarian." Srsly?

I'm dyslexic so reading the prompts and having to answer on a bubble sheet was like freaking torture. I did ask the psychologist if I had to finish it and he was kind enough to cut out a few of the questions to make it less miserable for me.

Overall, I think it went well but it was nothing like what I expected. I think I thought it would dig deeper into my decision, etc. I was a bit miffed that insurance won't cover the required questionnaire, but there's nothing to do for that but yank out the debit card.

One thing I never imagined is that going through the psychological evaluation could make the wls decision feel so real. Nothing like jumping through the insurance mandated hoops for a reality check.

Wow, well, reality does sneak in. For me, it really was when I got on the plane to Mexico where I got my surgery.

But you know what. Every hoop is worth the hassle. Good luck

My psyche eval was 30 minutes talking to a dude, just basically shooting the breeze. He said your are good to go and I will have the approval over to the surgeon by end of day tomorrow.

I had the freaking questionnaire/filling in bubbles as well. I absolutely despise them. But some think they are a good way to figure a person out...so over the years, I've learned to deal with it.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Minnesota_Multiphasic_Personality_Inventory
"The Minnesota Multiphasic Personality Inventory (MMPI) is the most widely used and researched standardized psychometric test of adult personality and psychopathology.[1]Psychologists and other mental health professionals use various versions of the MMPI to help develop treatment plans; assist with differential diagnosis; help answer legal questions (forensic psychology); screen job candidates during the personnel selection process; or as part of a therapeutic assessment procedure.[2]"

Yes, that test is a PITA. I think it mostly determines whether or not you are a true psycho. (And I'm not even sure it does that.) I took the MMPI plus an eating disorders inventory. I did have a discussion with a therapist to go over the results. Mine was $295, non-covered by insurance. However, that was my only out-of-pocket expense. I had my primary insurance with a secondary of Tricare. I'd pay five times that now that I know how much better life is at a *normal* weight.

I have always been perplexed why they do the MMPI. There are better assessments for bariatrics (and transplants for that matter). ASMBS allows several assessments, and the MMPI validity can be ehhh. Of course, using the MMPI guarantees they need a psychologist, when social workers and counselors can do almost all of the other assessments the ASMBS suggests for their batteries. When I had my surgical assessments for the VSG they were all assessments I have given clients - which technically ruined the validity. Not that the insurance seemed to care, heh.

The MMPI and the WISC/WAIS are all highly subjective, and many of the results depend on the psychologist. It's interesting how much assessments can vary between two clinicians.

Latest posts

Back