Probiotic With DS

Vinnero

How does our absorbtion effect probiotics. should I take more then recominded dose? Also what type are yall taking?

Thx,

How does our absorbtion effect probiotics. should I take more then recominded dose? Also what type are yall taking?

Thx,

This is a huge Your Mileage May Vary (YMMV) area. There are several different strains of bacteria living in our guts and the ones that I may need to boost with supplementation might be different than the ones you need to boost. Finding the probiotic that works best for your system has to be trial and error.

My favorite is VSL#3. It is a bit pricey but it's what works best for me. I get it over the counter at Walgreen's but it's kept behind the counter in the pharmacy refrigerator. I don't have to take more than the recommended dose. In fact, I have found that I take less of this particular one.

Thx,
Primal Defense Ultra, available here is a popular one.

I seem to do fine on yogurt and just take a probiotic when I'm on holiday and can't get hold of live yogurt.

As an Amazon Associate we earn from qualifying purchases.
I do a yogurt every morning and then in the evening, do a probiotic. I do a gummy cause I can NOT remember any brand that has to be in the fridge. It's the only gummy I use. I figure a gummy on a probiotic is better than none at all.

Primal Defense Ultra. I did 2x/day. Then went to alternating 2x/day and 1x/day. That was enough for me, but as Sandy said YMMV.

Right now, while I'm getting over bad fish and my system doesn't seem to want to come back to normal I'm doing 3x/day.

I took probiotics the couple of times I was antibiotics and that's it. I don't seem to need them. But who knows that could change any time.

As I understand it, probiotics contain healthy bugs that you aren't supposed to absorb, so our malabsorption shouldn't be a factor from that respect. However, because we malabsorb, our colons contain more nutrients than that of someone who absorbs normally, which can alter the normal bacterial population of the colon in a bad way. The probiotics are supposed to repopulate our colons with healthy bugs. I don't know that everyone needs them, but some DS surgeons are recommending them for all their patients these days.
I take the Primal Defense Ultra and seem to tolerate it without problem.

This is an interesting article about probiotics: https://www.yahoo.com/health/how-to-stock-your-probiotic-pantry-103490347452.html

Recommendations vary, but supplements with at least 20 billion live organisms per dose tend to be most effective, experts say. You can choose from among powders, pills, and liquid shots, and some probiotics are sold chilled and must be kept that way to maintain their effectiveness. Here are a few winners in the supplement world.

Align. It contains Bifantis, a patented strain of bacteria that helps maintain digestive balance
Florastor. A study found that this supplement alleviates antibiotic-related diarrhea and may help boost the immune system, making this a smart choice when traveling, says Dr. Reid.

Rephresh Pro-B. This is the only probiotic clinically shown to balance yeast and bacteria daily.

Be Well By Dr. Frank Lipman — Probiotic Powder. Add a teaspoon to your smoothie to ease chronic indigestion.

Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic Chewables. These have been shown to boost general digestive health.

@Spiky Bugger, I wondered if you have ever tried the Rephresh Pro-B? It seems to be a chance for help with things you have had trouble with in the past.

This is an interesting article about probiotics: https://www.yahoo.com/health/how-to-stock-your-probiotic-pantry-103490347452.html

Recommendations vary, but supplements with at least 20 billion live organisms per dose tend to be most effective, experts say. You can choose from among powders, pills, and liquid shots, and some probiotics are sold chilled and must be kept that way to maintain their effectiveness. Here are a few winners in the supplement world.

Align. It contains Bifantis, a patented strain of bacteria that helps maintain digestive balance
Florastor. A study found that this supplement alleviates antibiotic-related diarrhea and may help boost the immune system, making this a smart choice when traveling, says Dr. Reid.

Rephresh Pro-B. This is the only probiotic clinically shown to balance yeast and bacteria daily.

Be Well By Dr. Frank Lipman — Probiotic Powder. Add a teaspoon to your smoothie to ease chronic indigestion.

Culturelle Digestive Health Probiotic Chewables. These have been shown to boost general digestive health.

@Spiky Bugger, I wondered if you have ever tried the Rephresh Pro-B? It seems to be a chance for help with things you have had trouble with in the past.

I have not and, because I am always on the edge for yeast infections, it scares me. (By tbe third day on Florastor, or maybe the second?, I was fighting thrush and other manifestations.

HOWEVER, this remonded me to take my Culturelle. I think I reordered some Primal Defense Ultra, too. I have to wait to see what arrives. (Suppose it helps with memory, too? LOL )

AND, there was somethong about Align...I wonder if I liked IT?

Shit...old age!

Last edited:
I take VSL#3DS, (rx) I only started to take a probiotic after having the DS for a few years, but for me I get less gas, and my gut just feels better

Latest posts

Back