Prednisone R Us

Clematis

There's some unauthorized shenanigans going on in my lower spine causing nasty sciatica.

The orthopod has prescribed a methylprednisolone 6-day pack to be started tomorrow.

Questions:

1. There is a daily bedtime dose in the pack, however I take my iron/copper/vit c at bedtime, 3 hours after eating. Do you think prednisone and iron can be taken together? There is also a fasting morning dose in the pack so moving iron to the fasting morning won't help either.

2. I am supposed to have my first 3 month labs next week. I've read that steroids can throw off some readings. Should I wait "X" amount of time after ceasing the prednisone before having the labs drawn? If so, how long?

3. Should I expect to blow up like a hungry tick on a fat dog with this stuff? I've been in a stall for nearly a week already so not excited about this prospect. Is this weight gain fluid or fat? How long does it take for steroid-induced weight gain to go away after stopping the drug?

Thanks for all your advice.

I would take it as prescribed and not change anything. You are only taking the roids for 6 days. Don't even worry about it. Ask your doc about the lab draw and how long you should wait. Email is fine. You don't have to be in a hurry.

As far as the weight gain thing goes I think it would be normal not to lose for a while. Most people gain like crazy from steroids. But down the road, being pain free should make it easier for you to move more so it should be a tradeoff.

I hate hate hate pred, but have had it numerous times for asthma and most recently sciatica, which I've now had surgery for, so hoping I'm done with it for now. Yes, you will blow up like a bloated tick - don't sweat it, because you know it's water, and will just get peed out when you go back off of them. It can also make you ravenous, so try to take preemptive measures against that, and have good food on hand, and nothing bad that tempts you. I may also help to remember that any pound gained can make the back issues worse.

Have they tried stuff like any other anti-inflammotories, muscle relaxers or nerve blockers? I took them all simultaneously to avoid steriods as long as I could, as I'm just mean on pred and aggravated by,,, well, just everything when I take it.

I did have to take them at the same time as my iron, and thyroid. I didn't seem to have issues absorbing anything. I don't know about them throwing off labs. I hope your back gets back to behaving soon.

I took multiple rounds of Prednisone as a teen with really severe asthma. In one year, I gained just over 100 lbs. That stuff was brutal for me. That being said, one 6-day round of it shouldn't rock the boat too much, and then you can get back on track. Good luck with your back, I've had lumbar slip issues as well. Hope this takes care of it! :)

morning @Clematis - I had to take the 'roids at 8 weeks out due to granuloma's on my vocal cords - 12 days worth - I did not blow up but damn't I was wanting to eat all the time. That scared me - it started at about day 6 and lasted 2 weeks or so after they were done. I would take as prescribed - as a note tho, my doc (ENT) told me I could take the full dose at once - which I did- so as not to mess with my ability to sleep. I did not have labs close to the 'roids so did not have to worry about the draw.
Thoughts are with you!

After reading on the pack that I could take the first day's 6 tabs no matter how late in the day I got the pack, I tossed 'em down yesterday instead of waiting to start today. My stall broke today and I lost 6/10 of a pound. Maybe I'll continue to be a DS freak (I never have gas or foul smelling poop) and LOSE weight on steroids instead of gain.

The last disk at the coccyx is compressed. They have me starting Meloxicam after the prednisone. I'm hoping the pain will settle down and I won't have to take NSAIDS forever.

The last disk at the coccyx is compressed. They have me starting Meloxicam after the prednisone. I'm hoping the pain will settle down and I won't have to take NSAIDS forever.
I've had two back surgeries...one pre-DS (Mar 2006)and one post DS (Oct 2013). I understand the back pain. I think, but can't remember for sure now, that we may have tried prednisone before my first surgery. I was able to avoid the second one for two years just because of my weight loss with the DS but it eventually caught up with me. I still take a small dose of ibuprofen nightly so I can sleep (been on that since 2013). I also have Voltaren gel for the rest of my osteoarthritis. (Knees, hands, hips)

Latest posts

Back