Pre-op diet questions

writegirl

Work in Progress
I'm not scheduled for my NUT class until May 24th, but I noticed on my pre-op plan that the world's most unclear patient "advocate" designated that I start an opaque "Start liquid diet 4-weeks post-op." Under that is some advertisement seeming stuff about the Bari-life supplements (protein drinks?) and that is followed by descriptions for protein bars, chips, soups, a meal thingy (chicken?), and oatmeal. This is the 800-calorie meal plan that they want me to buy for $95 a week. I get it, they want to make money through their NUT guidelines in whatever way they can, but I am totally confused by this. For example, these are not all liquids, so do I need to be on an actual all liquid diet for 4 weeks or do I need to be on an 800 calorie diet for the 4 weeks. I know that usually 7-10 days pre-op bariatric patients are *required* to be on liquids only, but there is no mention of that in this paperwork. I am assuming I will get that information at the diet class.

Question for the veterans: Did you use the bari-life eating plan for the 800 calorie and liquid diets or did you use your own program of protein shakes, supplements, broths, etc.? I have seen conflicting information about this on some groups.

Also, should I begin the 800 calorie plan before my diet class and lab day? I want to give my body as much time to prepare for the surgery as possible. Did any of you start weaning yourself off of actual food and start eating more liquids and protein concoctions before your diet class date? I'm a coffee addict and want to stop the coffee as late as possible. Do you think I can ditch the coffee during the ten day liquid only period, or should I aim for earlier? Honestly, the no coffee rule has me the most stressed out.

If this helps: I started an Atkins-like diet 3.5 weeks before surgery and a liquid diet 5 days before surgery. (See attached sheets.) I think you've guessed that the Bari-Life crap is a revenue source. There are no special qualities to it. Some docs let you eat whatever you want right up until midnight the day before!

I was dx-ed with GERD 2-3 months before DS surgery and advised to eliminate caffeine, coffee and carbonated beverages. Caffeine was hard -- I drank a lot of diet coke. Funny, I used to have to take a small chip of X-anax to fall asleep, slept erratically and frequently awoke at 3:30am and couldn't get back to sleep. Without caffeine, I stopped X-anax the day before surgery and now both fall asleep and stay asleep all on my own.

Attachments

• PRE OP DIET (-60).pdf
    211.2 KB · Views: 3
  • DS Bypass Pre Op Diet (5 days before surgery)-1.pdf
    72.8 KB · Views: 4
they are just trying to get $$$. there are some things that you get to ear on liquid diets like jello and cream of wheat. 95 dollars wow to eat the less than 8 ounces of food you will be able to eat? Man they are doing it to their patients with no Vaseline. They take the Hippocratic oath to help people then do the exact opposite. talk about being a hypocrite

Dr. K says that the doctors that make their patient go on the liquid diet weeks before surgery should be made to go on the diet with them. He states that if we could do the diet for that long we wouldn't need WLS.

If this helps: I started an Atkins-like diet 3.5 weeks before surgery and a liquid diet 5 days before surgery. (See attached sheets.) I think you've guessed that the Bari-Life crap is a revenue source. There are no special qualities to it. Some docs let you eat whatever you want right up until midnight the day before!

I was dx-ed with GERD 2-3 months before DS surgery and advised to eliminate caffeine, coffee and carbonated beverages. Caffeine was hard -- I drank a lot of diet coke. Funny, I used to have to take a small chip of X-anax to fall asleep, slept erratically and frequently awoke at 3:30am and couldn't get back to sleep. Without caffeine, I stopped X-anax the day before surgery and now both fall asleep and stay asleep all on my own.

Thank you for the documents! Yes, I figured out that the bari-life crap is just to make the surgery group more money. I have heard that they will aggressively push this on us during our diet class day (It's like a six hour day between the class and the labs). I think they run it like boot camp to wear us down so we buy the bari-life garbage. I would honestly rather eat/drink healthy flavorful broths that I can pre-make weeks before surgery and freeze and couple that with protein-rich drinks and low-carb purees made from real foods that I prepare myself. I mean, my own version of pea soup, deeply pureed and cut with lots of water would be a better option than anything they can sell me from a box or a bag. I've also heard that spicy V8 juice with a little sour cream mixed in is a good choice during the 800-cal plan.

Do you think that liquids the five days before have to all be clear liquids? I can imagine that at least two days before they should be. It just seems like overkill to make us stay on clear-only for five whole days. Maybe I am really wrong about that, though.

I'm drinking the last of the wine and some frozen adult beverages over the weekend this week and that will be the last "party" (I drink very moderately lol). I plan on trying to cut my meals the week before I have the diet class so that I am drinking more protein and eating fewer meals--maybe one a day--in hopes of keeping the four week 800-cal diet from being so jolting.

they are just trying to get $$$. there are some things that you get to ear on liquid diets like jello and cream of wheat. 95 dollars wow to eat the less than 8 ounces of food you will be able to eat? Man they are doing it to their patients with no Vaseline. They take the Hippocratic oath to help people then do the exact opposite. talk about being a hypocrite

Dr. K says that the doctors that make their patient go on the liquid diet weeks before surgery should be made to go on the diet with them. He states that if we could do the diet for that long we wouldn't need WLS.

Charris, I totally agree with Dr. K on that lol. It seems ridiculous to pay $95 for so little food or even nourishment. I think I will do better on my own with some supplements and made-by-me broths, light clear-ish soups, and things like cream of wheat. I want to give my body the best chance at successful surgery and recovery, I just don't want to be ripped off blind while getting there ;)

I ate as I pleased up to midnight the day before surgery. Hard to believe I am even here to talk about it.

Yup, all that barilife crap is just another revenue stream for your doc. And even the ASMBS says the draconion preop diet is a load of horse hockey. Me personally, I would do what @Clematis outlined in her post. And I believe there is a distinct benefit going in to major surgery well nourished.

When I had surgery, Buchwald had no diet or eating plan. It was just food as tolerated, eat slowly, avoid carbs, and don't drink calories(sugared liquids). He discussed this with me once and said he was afraid he was going to have to start doing this. And here's why...the patients expected it! The truth of the matter is that mucosa heals amazingly fast. Intestines are already healing while you stitch them up. So unless the doc uses a val-trac ring, all those rules are there because you expect them!

It's a revenue stream. I got lucky, no diet required as I was only a 35.2 BMI and Boyce said not to lose any weight at all. Made his staff NUTS as they were pushing hard and said "but everyone has to do it". Well, no, but most did. Also I suggest you don't take money or debit/credit cards and just say you don't have it with you. Then stick to lean meats, low carb veggies, and then if you must, clear fluids for the last day or so.

Charris, I totally agree with Dr. K on that lol. It seems ridiculous to pay $95 for so little food or even nourishment. I think I will do better on my own with some supplements and made-by-me broths, light clear-ish soups, and things like cream of wheat. I want to give my body the best chance at successful surgery and recovery, I just don't want to be ripped off blind while getting there ;)

also I know my insurance pays for protein drinks and I know 2 other people's insurance who did with a Dr. prescription if you want or need them is go tgat route first.

Personally, regardless of whether the surgeon could deal with it, I did not want to go into major surgery with a lot of stuff in my bowels because I would be the one who would have to push it out post major abdominal surgery!

I'm not scheduled for my NUT class until May 24th, but I noticed on my pre-op plan that the world's most unclear patient "advocate" designated that I start an opaque "Start liquid diet 4-weeks post-op." Under that is some advertisement seeming stuff about the Bari-life supplements (protein drinks?) and that is followed by descriptions for protein bars, chips, soups, a meal thingy (chicken?), and oatmeal. This is the 800-calorie meal plan that they want me to buy for $95 a week. I get it, they want to make money through their NUT guidelines in whatever way they can, but I am totally confused by this. For example, these are not all liquids, so do I need to be on an actual all liquid diet for 4 weeks or do I need to be on an 800 calorie diet for the 4 weeks. I know that usually 7-10 days pre-op bariatric patients are *required* to be on liquids only, but there is no mention of that in this paperwork. I am assuming I will get that information at the diet class.

Question for the veterans: Did you use the bari-life eating plan for the 800 calorie and liquid diets or did you use your own program of protein shakes, supplements, broths, etc.? I have seen conflicting information about this on some groups.

Also, should I begin the 800 calorie plan before my diet class and lab day? I want to give my body as much time to prepare for the surgery as possible. Did any of you start weaning yourself off of actual food and start eating more liquids and protein concoctions before your diet class date? I'm a coffee addict and want to stop the coffee as late as possible. Do you think I can ditch the coffee during the ten day liquid only period, or should I aim for earlier? Honestly, the no coffee rule has me the most stressed out.
I did Adkins-like high protein/low carb for 4 weeks, then protein shakes and veggies for 2 weeks, then all liquids for another week. Got used to it but it was not fun! Post surgery was also restrictive - 4 weeks liquids, 4 weeks puree (blended meat - never again!), then gradually introducing more solids. Worked for me I suppose but not sure it was necessary... (I did 'cheat' and have coffee every day up to the night before surgery, because 'coffee'...)

It's a revenue stream. I got lucky, no diet required as I was only a 35.2 BMI and Boyce said not to lose any weight at all. Made his staff NUTS as they were pushing hard and said "but everyone has to do it". Well, no, but most did. Also I suggest you don't take money or debit/credit cards and just say you don't have it with you. Then stick to lean meats, low carb veggies, and then if you must, clear fluids for the last day or so.

Oh, I bet his staff didn't know what to do with that, lol. I will pull the "don't have it" excuse, which isn't really a lie. I don't want to spend an extra $95 a week on this unnecessary bari-crap.

I did Adkins-like high protein/low carb for 4 weeks, then protein shakes and veggies for 2 weeks, then all liquids for another week. Got used to it but it was not fun! Post surgery was also restrictive - 4 weeks liquids, 4 weeks puree (blended meat - never again!), then gradually introducing more solids. Worked for me I suppose but not sure it was necessary... (I did 'cheat' and have coffee every day up to the night before surgery, because 'coffee'...)
You went with an extended plan. I bet it prepared you well.

Latest posts

Back