Post op weight gain

Kclark77979

I am 5 days post op from BPD-DS. I have a question...when does the weight loss start? I weigh 5 lbs more than I did the day of surgery?

Also to note, I had several people shame me for my choice of surgeons in Tijuana. Dr. Alejandro Lopez Ortega did my surgery at Vida Hospital. For all of you naysayers, it was top notch from the time I stepped off the plane in San Diego and until I left. They were professional, caring, knowledgeable, attentive, etc...I have not had one problem...no nausea, vomiting, all good. Yes, I’m very sore and my belly looks like someone kicked the crap out of me, but I’m very happy. My drain hole had no excess drainage, my incisions are good. I also have a lot of gas, but I expected that going in. I really wish that all of you who are so quick to judge, based upon rumor or second hand information, would not comment negatively in a forum about a doctor who I never found anything negative on the internet. I never found anyone who died, had failed leak tests, anything. After those posts, I researched more, but never found any basis of your comments. I’d really like to stay on this site because there is a lot of good information, so I asked my question. I’m hoping I get positive responses and will continue, but if not, I understand and I’ll look elsewhere for information.

Btw, I am not a shill, I’m just a teacher at a Catholic school who tries to do what is right. I am no ones mouthpiece. Thank you.

Once I started peeing I didn’t stop for a week. Free weight loss!

Glad your experience was great! I agree with your characterization of an issue I feel here: strong assertions about medical issues based on feelings. It’s unpleasant and uncalled for. We absolutely need to spread the word about bad surgeons and non standard surgery.

There is a difference between candor and mobbing.

I'm glad you are having such a good experience WLS wise. you don't mention how you are doing at getting in fluids - that's really the top priority at this stage.

I really wish that all of you who are so quick to judge, based upon rumor or second hand information

do you mean here? because I looked back at your posting and didn't see that.

Welcome @Kclark77979
The only surgeons we recommend in Mexico are Dr. Esquerra and his partner, Dr. Wilhemy.

I'm a seasoned medical tourist, but I know there are no DS surgeons in TJ. You may be told DS, but when you get there it's going to be called mb a SIPS DS, SADI DS, or something, but it won't be a true DS. If I were going to get a DS in MX, the Surgeons southernlady mentioned above are the only real DS surgeons I know of.

If you're not going to a vetted DS surgeon, I would get it, because you're probably going to need it.

I think I’m getting more than enough fluids. I’d say AT LEAST 30oz a day. Just started taking isopure. Put it in my chicken broth. Didn’t take much to feel full! I’m am a rule follower, so I follow all the instructions to the letter. I’ll force myself to drink to ensure I’m getting proper nutrition.

I think I’m getting more than enough fluids. I’d say AT LEAST 30oz a day. Just started taking isopure. Put it in my chicken broth. Didn’t take much to feel full! I’m am a rule follower, so I follow all the instructions to the letter. I’ll force myself to drink to ensure I’m getting proper nutrition.
Unfortunately you need 64 oz of fluid at a minimum each and every day from now on.

Being a rule follower is good BUT there are times when following the rules will get you in a serious world of hurt.

Example, my surgeon has rules but if I had followed his rules, I would be dead cause his vitamins are piss poor and his post op long term eating advice is so totally off base, it's dangerous. BUT he's a damned good cutter. That's all I want him to be.

Considering I’m only 5 days out, but trying to increase every day. I like to think I’m a pretty bright girl, so I definitely do my due diligence when it comes to all of this. I’m the only person I know in my community that’s had a DS, so I know I’ll need to rely on a village to stay on track. So thanks for the info. I just got home today, so tomorrow I will start measuring and keeping a log.

@Kclark77979 I'm glad you had a positive experience and are home now! Hydration is top priority. Remembering to take it easy / not lift heavy things is up on the list as well.

Please make sure to get a copy of your op report if you haven't done so alreay; you will need it to share with local physicians if any late complications arise. Also, store it somewhere you will be able to find it quickly. I had to dig for mine this week 5 years out, due to an issue not related to DS. You may want to make note of your sleeve/bougie size and common channel size - as these tend to come up in discussions.

I'm assuming you are still on a liquid diet now since you mention broth. When will you move to soft foods and then, solids? One of my early foods of choice was tomato soup with melted cheese in it - made it seem like a real meal.

I start full liquids Monday. So funny you mentioned tomato soup. I bought the Campbells creamy tomato that is like an 8oz cup. Hadn’t thought of the cheese. Yum.

I do have my op report. I’ve already put it in the safe. I also thought I need to put a medical card in my wallet with all of that information.

@Kclark77979 I'm glad you had a great experince with another surgeon. It's very hard to choose a surgeon in MX. This board needs to find some other surgerons who are good in MX to recommend. Dr Esquerra is expensive too. It would be good to have another option.

Latest posts

Back