Post op weight gain

Thank you and I totally agree! When I was there, there were 3 women from the same hometown getting theirs done. Apparently there is quite a large population of ppl who had used Dr Lopez. In fact, the next day a couple from same hometown were there. According to one of the consultants, a majority of their clients come from Texas and Canada.

Since you have so brilliantly charted your own course and, in so doing, have "taken on" three of the most helpful people on the board...including the board owner and a woman who has--for well over a decade--provided pro bono legal services to strangers seeking bariatric surgery...I should probably save myself some time and block your ass right about now.

And, by the way, where I live, being a Catholic school teacher means you are willing to work for less money because you get "hand-picked" students and lack the education and credentials to work in a real school.

Last edited:
I hope you got your surgical report, and have studied it carefully. Maybe post it for the vets to review?

https://tijuanagastricbypasssurgery.com/gastric-bypass-surgery-for-baltic-ct-residents/

Dr. Alejandro Lopez performs gastric bypass surgery in Tijuana, Mexico for Baltic CT residents. Schedule your surgery today!

Dr. Alejandro Lopez is a dedicated bariatric surgeon who has performed more than 4,000 bariatric surgeries and is a pioneer in medical weight loss surgery, being one of the first Mexican doctors to perform Duodenal Switch with only one anastomosis.
I'd like to know why he has a special RNY deal for the residents of Baltic CT, population ~1250.
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Baltic,_Connecticut

And then there's this: https://www.alobariatrics.com/single-anastomosis-duodenal-switch/

The Single Anastomosis Duodenal Switch is inarguably associated with the greatest weight loss and remission of diabetes of any bariatric metabolic procedure.​

Inarguably? Well, that's an interesting "alternative fact."

I hope you got what you expected.

Last edited:
We do need more surgerons in mx, but this is the problem, they are so hard to vet. Diana thanks for the research. The Baltic Connecticut is becasue the marketers are targeting those words in the search engines.

Kclark - I'd like to refer back to your OP

I never found anything negative on the internet. I never found anyone who died, had failed leak tests, anything. After those posts, I researched more, but never found any basis of your comments

I know of at least one site - and it's a big one, for profit - that will take down bad reviews of surgeons who advertise on their site.

this place is not only not making money, the extremely knowledgeable vets posting donate their time, all in the interest of helping people find the truth and get the best care they can. and they know some horror stories, too. :frown:

Kclark - I'd like to refer back to your OP

I know of at least one site - and it's a big one, for profit - that will take down bad reviews of surgeons who advertise on their site.

this place is not only not making money, the extremely knowledgeable vets posting donate their time, all in the interest of helping people find the truth and get the best care they can. and they know some horror stories, too. :frown:

See that is the problem and that is why I trusted this forum and went to Dr. Esquerra. He is more expensive than other surgerons, but you can trust him.

I researched Dr. Kelly in MX. It was TJ and NOT Mexcali which was easier. I talked to him and his patient coordinator. Great reviews, etc. I could not find one bad thing on him. When I talked to him, he tried to sell me the mini gastric bypass and said, it was a better choice and would solve my diabetes too. Then, someone on FB said, join a specific group on FB and search for his name. It was a priviate group. Turns out he almost killed someone and priliviages were revoked from some hospital. His reviews were amazing and his references were amazing.

Then, i found this board and read about Dr. Esquerra and realized, I did not know enough to make this decision. I could not even begin to understand how to make this decision. I'm grateful to this board for vetting a surgeon and providing a guiding light on this. I could not do it alone. And if I had not dug deep, I would have never found the bad things on Dr Kelly, because they are hidden.

We do need to have other surgeons in MX, but they are so hard to vet and we have one vetted one.

Choosing a surgeon is very confusing for sure. And just because someone has a good sales team, does not mean they are a good Dr.

See that is the problem and that is why I trusted this forum and went to Dr. Esquerra. He is more expensive than other surgerons, but you can trust him.

I researched Dr. Kelly in MX. It was TJ and NOT Mexcali which was easier. I talked to him and his patient coordinator. Great reviews, etc. I could not find one bad thing on him. When I talked to him, he tried to sell me the mini gastric bypass and said, it was a better choice and would solve my diabetes too. Then, someone on FB said, join a specific group on FB and search for his name. It was a priviate group. Turns out he almost killed someone and priliviages were revoked from some hospital. His reviews were amazing and his references were amazing.

Then, i found this board and read about Dr. Esquerra and realized, I did not know enough to make this decision. I could not even begin to understand how to make this decision. I'm grateful to this board for vetting a surgeon and providing a guiding light on this. I could not do it alone. And if I had not dug deep, I would have never found the bad things on Dr Kelly, because they are hidden.

We do need to have other surgeons in MX, but they are so hard to vet and we have one vetted one.

Choosing a surgeon is very confusing for sure. And just because someone has a good sales team, does not mean they are a good Dr.

I am a patient of Dr Kelly’s and had the MGB (aka OAGBP) earlier this year. He rightfully recommended that surgery over the VSG for me and now GERD is no longer an issue, no more PPIs required. I had a great experience with him & his staff; no complications, comorbidities resolved, and I’m already at goal. I stayed at Hospitale Angeles and received better care there than I’ve received at many US hospitals. Not sure of the true facts regarding the death you mention as I’ve read conflicting reports on its validity. I believe some MX surgeons, especially ones that use patient coordinators that are paid on commission to drum up business, are very cut throat with each other and sometimes use the Internet to discredit their competition. I liked working with Dr. Kelly and his staff directly.

However, if the DS was the preferred surgery for me I would have definitely had that surgery with Dr. Esquerra as he’s the best one for it in the area, imo.

Yes. And alternatively, some people think that the ONLY place to have surgery is in the US...and that any surgeon in Mexico is inferior...¡pero, no es la verdad!

In fact, it is often a foreign surgeon who trains a US surgeon, prior to the FDA testing in this country.

Now, caveat emptor, foreign laws are not the same as ours. I remember maybe 15 years ago when one woman went out of the country to get a LapBand and awakened with a gastric balloon in her stomach. Her surgeon was clueless about why she was upset. He was "the decider," and had decided, once she was under, that the balloon was a better choice...what was her problem? She had zero recourse.

He was "the decider," and had decided, once she was under, that the balloon was a better choice...what was her problem? She had zero recourse.

OMG I am so glad I didn't see that surgeon. :mad0066:

meanwhile, I had a very very good surgeon and am so glad I did. may he rest in peace. :(

There are no surgeons paying for advertising here, or sponsoring this site. It's just people that understand the need for accurate information. I too know where any negative surgeon information gets "cleaned up", because they pay. Many of us have been around years and actually know people who have gone to Tijuana, and to just about any other DS surgeon we've heard of. Not rumors or myths, we know actual people who have been damaged or even died. No one here is going to make a buck off of you, so feel free to believe whatever you want. I too highly recommend getting your own copy of your surgical report, and I genuinely hope you have the surgery you wanted.

I am a patient of Dr Kelly’s and had the MGB (aka OAGBP) earlier this year. He rightfully recommended that surgery over the VSG for me and now GERD is no longer an issue, no more PPIs required. I had a great experience with him & his staff; no complications, comorbidities resolved, and I’m already at goal. I stayed at Hospitale Angeles and received better care there than I’ve received at many US hospitals. Not sure of the true facts regarding the death you mention as I’ve read conflicting reports on its validity. I believe some MX surgeons, especially ones that use patient coordinators that are paid on commission to drum up business, are very cut throat with each other and sometimes use the Internet to discredit their competition. I liked working with Dr. Kelly and his staff directly.

However, if the DS was the preferred surgery for me I would have definitely had that surgery with Dr. Esquerra as he’s the best one for it in the area, imo.

No, I researched Dr Kelly and emailed with the administrator of the hospital that his prilivages were revoked at. The stories are true. He screwed up and almost killed someone and I hope this shows in Google when people look for him. I understand people make mistakes and stuff happens, i just did not want to be one. And I really thought i wanted the DS and he kept trying to sell me the MGB. All the surgeries take weight off in the short run. It's 5 years out that matters and the MBG does not seem to be much better than the RNY, but I could never find good research on it.

I'm super happy you had a great great experince though and glad you are safe!!!!

I hope the MGB works for you. It's an interesting surgery and I think it sounded like a reasonable option. But very glad I kept my pyloric valve and I can eat all the fat I want.

And that was kind of my point in the first place. I don't know enough to vet a surgeron or really know what surgery is the best in the long run. And I trust the people on this board to do it better than me and Dr Rabkin to do it too. He was and has been so kind to me even though I went to MX. He looked at my one year labs for my PCP who knows him for free.

And I don't know enough to choose the MGB over the DS, but there is so little known on the MBG in the US.

I do think people here don't always make data driven recommendations based in facts, but on vetting a surgeon, I think BF has nailed it and that there is real data on the DS that proves its long term effectivness. We just need a couple more Drs in MX to choose from. I hope the brian trust of this board finds a few.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back