Post DS Expectations

tradav1

As I have been doing research etc. into my revision (VSG to DS), I am trying to find real life post DS experiences. What does a day in the life look like? What does it look like at one week? One month? One year etc? I see mention of a strict vitamin regimen, but I'm not sure I see what it really is from a post DSers perspective. Wondering if I could get some feedback.

Thanks,
T.

Hi,

I'm 10+ years out. I'll try and recall those early days:
  • The first few weeks a tsp. of scrambled eggs was a meal. Your stomach is just so small. I also recall needing to drink a protein shake a day for at least the first year. I just couldn't eat enough to get the 100-125 mg. of protein needed per day. I kept a food/vitamin diary to keep track of the protein I ate and the amount. Those (along with other documents) were provided by my surgeons. I stayed on pureed foods for 2 weeks postop. Everything went into the blender. My vitamins began a few weeks after the DS (at my first postop office visit). The iron wasn't added till a few weeks after that. I also took Urso to prevent GB issues;
  • By the end of the first year, my lactose problems had gone. My hair loss was ending (it had started about 3.5 mos. out). I could eat more (I didn't get to 50 grams of protein per day till 6 mos. out) and was finally able to end the daily protein shakes. I did need them occasionally till about year 5, if I didn't eat enough that day;
  • I went for bloods at 1,3,6,12 months in year one. Since then it's every 6 mos. and a yearly office visit with my surgeon;
  • I take 40+ vits/minerals/iron per day. It wasn't always this many, it went up as time went on and my bloods showed deficiencies and/or I had issues that necessitated adding pills. They're tweaked after each blood (if necessary);
  • A day in the life, looks like a lot of food :D. I eat every couple of hours. All types of meat, cheeses, nuts. I don't really eat carbs during the day as I don't want gas issues. I wait to eat carbs (if I want them) in the evening or on Sat. in my apt. I lift weights (when I don't have hernia problems) to try and help my bones and I walk as much as I can.

Using @aaa's format:

I'm just over 4.5 years out.
  • First weeks were full liquids. I went to soft foods after that. My sleeve is still so small that if I don't eat all damned day, I have to have at least one protein shake.
  • I became lactose intolerant right off the bat. And mine has persisted but only two dairy products still give me issues now. One is pasteurized milk, so I drink raw milk. And ice cream is off limits.
  • My hair thinned drastically and then came back But I keep having surgeries so it's hanging on for dear life. (Only one surgery was even remotely related to my DS.
  • I wasn't given Urso for GB and my surgeon didn't remove it during my surgery. Six months later I had it out. Knowing what I know now, mine had been heading south for decades, the DS just pushed it over the edge.
  • My surgeon only did 6 and 12 month labs, I talked them into labs at 3 and 9 months that first year. Now I get them every 6 months by my PCP. I haven't seen my surgeon since he discharged me from the hospital and haven't been in his office since my 1 year visit.
  • I stated with the full Vitalady list http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ but quickly adjusted mine. I take about 30 pills/capsules a day. But it's a whole lot easier than being on 9 prescription medications.
  • I eat like a Hobbit.
  • Typical dinner is about 5 oz of meat and MAYBE a spoonful of veggies.
  • If it is the house and not nailed down, I will which is why we don't keep much in the way of quick snack stuff. I do keep lots of protein snack stuff handy, hard boiled eggs, cheese, yogurt.
  • I walk, do renovations, stay active.

Aragorn: Gentlemen! We do not stop 'til nightfall.
Pippin: But what about breakfast?
Aragorn: You've already had it.
Pippin: We've had one, yes. But what about second breakfast?
[Aragorn stares at him, then walks off.]
Merry: Don't think he knows about second breakfast, Pip.
Pippin: What about elevenses? Luncheon? Afternoon tea? Dinner? Supper? He knows about them, doesn't he?
Merry: I wouldn't count on it.

Today was my 1 month anniversary (surgiversary?) and you could read some of my other posts here for different parts of my experience. Today I'm having one of those rough days where I question why I did this to myself. I have really bad periods (PCOS) and the cramps are horrible and I've always had a hard time on those days but usually popped a few Advil and it was better. I can't take ibuprofen anymore. Though the cramps were there pre-op, they seemed to make something in there unhappy. I don't know what exactly but I know that it's not happy. It started 2-3 days ago with a lot of diarrhea (which I've experienced often in this last month - no vomiting though, thank God). I managed to get things somewhat calm with imodium and then I was very nauseated and dizzy Tuesday. I couldn't figure out what was wrong with me. Even some Zofran that I had left from coming home wasn't working. Turns out I was dehydrated (hello, genius!) and I managed to get some pedialyte down - plain water and even "smart water" wasn't giving me enough electrolytes because there was a huge noticeable difference after the pedialyte. I felt well enough to eat yesterday. I probably did not make the best choices but one night salmon and broccoli makes me sick, the next I can eat a little bit of Mexican food and be fine. Today I was really sick. It could have been the cramps, lingering dehydration or the food choices that I made yesterday (whole wheat tortilla with chicken salad, beans/rice/chicken/cheese/sour cream mixed together and tortilla chips with a tbls of queso - all eaten in very small bits over the course of the day). I'm having a pre-packaged cup of applesauce with a baby spoon tonight and hoping for a better tomorrow. A FEW foods have upset my stomach (within minutes of eating I was very uncomfortable and knew right away that I couldn't eat that ever again - example: lemonade with real sugar) but most of my issues come the next day with gas, bloating, growling belly, frequent BMs and generally feeling gross.

I admit that at least half of my difficulties have been trying to figure out what I can and cannot eat. You may have an easier time tolerating foods but I've struggled since the beginning (then again, I had allergies/intolerances pre-op). I also have to take daily medication that can cause stomach upset and there's just no way around taking it. There was a lot more food diluting the meds and whatever I was sensitive to before so they weren't very noticeable. If you require maintenance meds for conditions unrelated to obesity, I suggest talking to the doc about possible alternatives in case you end up have stomach problems from them. Truthfully though, the majority of my problems aren't "stomach" problems - all of the craziness happens in my lower abdomen in digestive tract.

Vitamins seem like no big deal pre-op but I really struggle with them. My stomach feels "full" for hours and hours after eating or just drinking a glass of water. I'm learning the difference between "don't put anything else in there" and "my stomach is a little swollen because it had to digest something" but I sometimes get them confused and gag on a vitamin. Ugh. You already have the VSG so this is probably already figured out for you. Kudos. Sometimes I wonder if I should have done it in steps but insurance wasn't going for that.

Protein also seemed like a no brainer because I'm a big meat eater. I always have been. I love meat. Chicken, pork, beef, turkey, duck, rabbit, venison, fish... I love it all. My doctor wanted me to have 80-100g of protein right away. I still haven't found a protein shake that doesn't make me sick (again, me and my intolerances) so that's roughly 12-16oz of meat. I can just now eat 3 oz at a time (meat sits heavy). 4 or 5 times a day seems reasonable but with me feeling full all of the time it's a tough sell. I'm getting there though, so I think that in another month it will be no biggie. Again with the VSG, you probably know what you can put in your stomach but you really have to refocus your diet on protein if you've gotten used to eating a wider variety of things.

Water was really tough too at first because I couldn't figure out how to drink it without swallowing air (I'm fairly strange, it's obvious by now) and I kept having gas-x strips with my water. Now I'm doing the 64oz on at least a few days a week and other than the crazy diarrhea, I haven't had any serious dehydration issues. No IV fluids so far. I'm not sure how much this is a stomach issue and how much it's an intestines issue because it sometimes seems like all of the water goes into the bowel and none in the bladder. The recent pedialyte experience has me more cognizant of my need for electrolytes and that may change.

Overall? I still recommend the DS to people that I know and I still believe that it's going to work but it's not magic. It's hard some days. It feels like a job to remember the vitamins and water and protein. I regret it sometimes and I am glad that I went through with it sometimes. I know that it's only been a month, so I don't have any great wisdom to share but I do think that these days will fade into distant memories before too much longer. Today I just wanted a brownie and some hot fries and a chick flick and a good hard cry. I never realized how much food is entangled in how I deal with having a bad day and for THAT psychological breakthrough, it's worth it.

A funny story: When I met my husband I was convinced that he wasn't the one for me. Convinced. He pursued. We dated. Drama happened (we're both divorced, you can imagine) and I remember thinking to myself that this was the stupidest thing I'd ever done. Again and again and again. My therapist asked me to describe our relationship and I just gave her the really ugly things that I was going through at the time and how horrible it was and she told me to leave him. I couldn't. My heart just told me not to. It's been 7 years and (almost) every day I'm thankful that I stuck through the crap. Tonight when I was really down about this whole DS thing, he asked me to think about how crappy our relationship was in the beginning. Not the glittery, glamorous falling in love but the gritty real life beginning. I laughed. I hadn't though of it in years. He said that we could talk about how much I hated the DS in 7 years.

For the above posters, they know what they're talking about. They're on the other side. The first week and month SUCK and maybe even the first 3 months but diabetes, heart disease, cancer and just being fat also suck. The difference is that the DS gradually gets better while the others gradually get worse. I was told that I'd be back to work and fine 14 days post-op and I really had this fairy tale in my head where I would be just fine and dropping weight like magic if I just swallowed some pills and drank a few shakes. I wish that someone had said "This is going to suck but that's temporary and you'll be much happier that you did it in the long run." They told me that about my advanced degree and childbirth and I still did both of those.

Thank you for your feedback. It's very helpful. Like anything else, failure to plan is planning to fail. My husband and I have been doing well with meal plans the past month, I'm back to regular exercise (pilates is somewhat gentler on my body now that it's so heavy again), and although I haven't really lost any weight, I'm feeling more positive. I think that I am trying to fight biology. Without surgery, I could exercise ten hours a day and eat only what is recommended by a nutritionist or food guides, and I would still struggle with my weight. I'm just designed that way. I have incredibly efficient storage systems. I have excellent genetics for a cow that is bred to go to market. :) (Coming from a farming background, I know a good feed to gain ratio when I see one...)

But since I am not, I feel that even if I find new habits in exercise and eating, I still would need something to circumvent the biological parts of the system. I'm still going to give myself the time. I am convinced that if I will do this, it will be the DS. I will continue to create and build on the good habits that we are developing and continue to work through my emotional eating issues. Only when the habits and the brain are in a better place will I take the next step.

I feel that even if I find new habits in exercise and eating, I still would need something to circumvent the biological parts of the system. .

after years of diets and exercise, we realize that our metabolisms are broken. Most of us could lose large amounts when we set our minds to it....then we gained it all back, and more! The magic of the DS is that it fixes our metabolism so that calorie absorption lines up with our caloric needs, to help us lose weight and, more importantly, to keep it off.

If you feel it necessary to give it one last try, then good luck with your efforts. Keep the DS process going - research, insurance requirements, surgeon investigation, etc - so that you are ready to move when (if?) the regain begins. And building good habits and getting the brain to a better place are wonderful objectives. I wish you well

As I have been doing research etc. into my revision (VSG to DS), I am trying to find real life post DS experiences. What does a day in the life look like? What does it look like at one week? One month? One year etc? I see mention of a strict vitamin regimen, but I'm not sure I see what it really is from a post DSers perspective. Wondering if I could get some feedback.

the first few weeks are tough. The DS is major surgery and it takes some time to physically heal and to get through the recovery. At the same time, we need to learn how our new innards work, sorting out what foods we will tolerate, and discovering our new digestive systems - and each of us is unique.

the three month mark was the point that things really turned around for me. I was comfortable and stable, eating "normally" for a DS post op during weight loss phase (low carb, high protein and smaller quantities, but I could eat out and with others and enjoy my meal). I had better energy, I could move more easily and the weight loss was amazing. From 3 months to 1 year was very positive in pretty much every way as I dropped weight and inches, and gained life and a new wardrobe.

One year in, I had lost 200 pounds. I started adding more carbs into my diet, eating higher volumes and transitioned to really living a normal life, which I have done since.

Over the past eight years, I have settled into my post-DS life. I eat more than my husband - I eat several meals daily, and while focussing on protein, I do eat whatever tempts me. I have had a small weight bounce back (about 15 pounds) which has made me look less anorexic, but my weight has maintained for years within the same 10 pound range. I can swing five pounds plus from one day to the next, then a week later, drop 7 pounds overnight. I time shift my carb consumption if I have plans to be out, so any digestive/bathroom effects can take place at home. I don't exercise now - I never did before either, just not my preference. Once a month, I fill my vitamin containers and pop my pills in eight doses over the course of the day, but this is now second nature and I hardly think about it anymore. I do my blood work and have annual DEXA scans. I am a well informed patient and lead my PCP in requesting tests and monitoring my health.

the DS was best decision I ever made!

Using @aaa's format:
...I wasn't given Urso for GB and my surgeon didn't remove it during my surgery. Six months later I had it out. Knowing what I know now, mine had been heading south for decades, the DS just pushed it over the edge...
Full disclosure: my GB had to be removed 3 years after my DS, even though I took Urso.

That I had removed about ten years ago already. Are there instances of increased appendix issues post DS?
None that I am aware of...some surgeons will also remove it on the theory that the fewer odd possibilities such as GB and appendix means that IF you don't have them, they can be automatically ruled out as issues in case of gut pain.

Hey @tradav1 - glad you asked -
@ 1week, I was still in the hospital - diet consisted of only liquid proteins and measuring fluids. Struggling to get in the minimum of 64OZ a day. timers to set so would sip regularly. hated the sweet tasting proteins. Lots of liquid, liquid stools - and it did not stink. yep, I bragged my shite did not stink.

@1month - still felt like death eatin' a cracker - had been increased to soft foods but was afraid to eat. First thing I tried was the wife's chicken salad. tasted like nectar of the Gods - ate maybe a teaspoon. Still struggling to get in the 64oz of fluid a day. I would wake up early and be really thirsty, so started with h20. could not drink my coffee, was tired of G2. Loved tomato juice and was surprised I could drink it. Still having liquid stools - taking double probiotics and vancomycin to clear up bowel issues. Was still out of work - @Cantstalkthis didn't you want to beat up the folks that said you could go back to work in 2 weeks. Just started taking vits, because could swallow a pill - Surgeon had me on powdered vits and they gagged me. If having 'solid' protein it needed to be ground up (food processor) into tiny tiny pieces.

@3months - finally feel normal again - have for a couple 3 weeks really. able to eat about any soft food I want - but only 4 to 5 oz. total. taking my Vits well. Having any solid meat I want, but doc recommends avoiding red meat till 6 months post -op - except for ground beef. I do tolerate the GB fine. In fact Mexican food has become one of my favs - I get a burrito - cut it open and avoid the wrap - pour cheese sauce on, some salsa on and eat it with a spoon. mmmmm good. I track everything I eat and drink. I get in not just the 64oz of fluids, but have set my goal for 80 a day, usually get close to 100. I cook for myself more than I ever did before.

I was released to start exercising in the middle of August - I am up to 20 minute walk on the treadmill or outside with the Golden girls. along with about 20 minutes of floor exercises I call them - doing abdominal work to strengthen my back muscles. this is flipping' amazing for me!

That is as far as I can track as I am a newbie.

I look forward to reading everyones info as the respond to you.

Latest posts

Back