Please help

I had a Nissen fundoplication as part of my surgery as well because of a previous injury to my diaphragm. The hole in it was larger than normal and with a bad cough, I was literally coughing my stomach up my throat. It sounds like you have a good surgeon based on DSRIGGs experience with one of her colleagues. If it were me, I would ask her to draw what she is proposing, so you know what your digestive tract will look like after the surgery. Then make your decision about whether you should look for another doctor. I suspect there might just be a misunderstanding.
The guy whom he Prachand mentored, Dr Marshall, Fucked my up royally and gave my terrible malnutrition that required me to fly to california to have a revision with Dr K. Dr Marshal is Director of Trauma for OSF St Francis in Peoria (The only level 1 Trauma center in downstate Illinois). He is a great cutter and surgeon in other areas. He screwed me up with a cookie cutter DS that was not right for me.

One of his colleagues in his practice, Peoria Surgical Group, Dr David Crawford performed a Nissen on my oldest son after he developed untreatable GERD after chemo for his cancer (was refluxing over 50 times an hour on testing). It failed after a year herniating his diaphragm. When he went in for the repair he invaded his plueral space twice during surgery, removed the drain and then Cameron had to complain for two days before they did and Xray to see his space was full of blood. They had to do an emergency procedure to put in a chest tube with no anesthesia and he was in the hospital for a week with that tube and it looked like about 10 gallons of blood came off....and oh yeah, the fucker cut his vagus nerve when doing the surgery and never told us! We only found out 12 months later when diagnosed with severe gastroparesis and we asked for the op report where he pretty much says he cut the vagus nerve....guess what that can cause? YEP GASTROPARESIS...and oh, that repair failed again so we went to California to Dr K who put in a RnY drain to get food off his stomach (no weight loss component as nothing really bypassed) and he repaired Cameron's diaphragm and redid the wrap. He also found a meckels diverticulum on Cameron and removed it.

Yeah, I am a little bitter, so my apologies if I am a little heated on this one........and don't ever believe the frivolous law suit BS you hear because even after all of that our attorney told us we couldn't win the case here in Peoria.

Prachand is a a good cutter from what I understand, we have a member who had her DS with him and and a friend just had a virgin DS with him but I don't buy for a second this stuff he is telling Joyouslyme about not being able to do a sleeve and still get a DS....that isn't a DS. He doesn't do many revisions to my knowledge so that is why we are recommending a consultation with Dr K.

A DS without a sleeve is not a DS, as I'm sure Dr. Prachand knows, since he does do the DS. He is probably meaning he would do an ERNY to give you more malaborption. As you may have seen in recent posts to others here, that is not a DS and has potential problems with a combination of increased malabsorption without the benefit of use of the pyloric valve.
I do understand his concern about (I presume) GERD, given that your band has damaged your esophagus. One of the few, maybe the only, advantage gastric bypass has is that it's the most effective bariatric surgery for fixing GERD. However, the sleeve of the DS can, to some extent, be customized by making it not too narrow. Surgeons doing the sleeve as a stand alone tend to make very narrow sleeves because if they don't, weight regain is almost guaranteed. But with a DS that is less of a concern, and a wider sleeve can be made for you.
I think Dr. K will give you a very different response than what you've had thus far. He tends to make larger sleeves in general and I will be very surprised if he doesn't think he can customize a sleeve that will work for you. Let us know as soon as you hear anything.
I had a Nissen fundoplication as part of my surgery as well because of a previous injury to my diaphragm. The hole in it was larger than normal and with a bad cough, I was literally coughing my stomach up my throat. It sounds like you have a good surgeon based on DSRIGGs experience with one of her colleagues. If it were me, I would ask her to draw what she is proposing, so you know what your digestive tract will look like after the surgery. Then make your decision about whether you should look for another doctor. I suspect there might just be a misunderstanding.
I'm going to speak with Dr. K and then explain what I want to Dr. Prachand. I emphatically told him I don't want a blind stomach.

I'm going to speak with Dr. K and then explain what I want to Dr. Prachand. I emphatically told him I don't want a blind stomach.
Hopefully he will listen to you and make sure when you are telling him what you want, that you want him to follow the Hess Method as well

Walter had had a Nissen for severe GERD and had Barretts, if I remember correctly. He consulted with quite a few bariatric surgeons, including surgeons who definitely did the DS, and all refused to do DS and recommended gastric bypass. Walter is nothing if not persistent, though, and knew what he wanted, and eventually got is DS with "pork chop" sleeve with Dr. Anthone and did just fine with it.
This is not to say that doctor shopping is always a good idea, but it worked out well for Walter and hopefully Dr. K will have something positive to offer you.

I went from band to VSG (no DS) and I had heartburn and GERD because of the band. I had a surgeon suggest I convert to RNY because of GERD but I refused. I had developed gastritis, esophagitis, and a hernia from the band among a plethora of other symptoms. I am 3 months out from my conversion now. I kept taking my prevacid for one month after the conversion per my surgeon but have not needed it anymore after that. Just my 2 cents that the pressure of the band was causing my issues and once removed and with VSG and hernia repair they resolved. I don't think that a sleeve alone or as part of a DS is necessarily an issue with GERD, but again, only my experience and I do not have experience with the DS.

Edited to add that my surgeon explained that my esophagus remained somewhat dilated but I feel pretty great.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back