Parathyroid...check your D, Calcium, AND PTH first

Is there somewhere that has like a chart of what normal ranges are? I can learn the acronyms for them as I have done like for my thyroid, ldl stuff like that but would be nice to have a list or chart of ranges.

Is there somewhere that has like a chart of what normal ranges are? I can learn the acronyms for them as I have done like for my thyroid, ldl stuff like that but would be nice to have a list or chart of ranges.

Here, but....http://www.parathyroid.com/hyperparathyroidism-diagnosis.htm

You need to find the page with the chart that relates to bariatric patients. Relying on "normal" is what has PCPs diagnosing Parathyroid problems.

The point is that what signals a problem for others is merely a sign of a hard-working parathyroid gland in us...and it does NOT need treatment.

When you get your labs, the normal ranges will be next to your result. Each lab reports them differently

Calcium needs to be mid range.
D needs to be high normal, as close to 100 as possible. (And this is regardless of what the lab says high is as most labs are now reporting normal between 30-100. Use to be 25-85 and before that 15-50).
PTH needs to be as low normal as possible. I think 15 is the bottom and below 25 is ideal.

I have some puzzling lab results and they seem to fit into this thread somehow. Mostly, I think that I am just over-supplementing on a couple of things particularly iron and calcium. Easy fix, scale back, right? I need some better thinkers to help me interpret the results so that I can have an intelligent conversation with my PCP.

Unless noted, assume the value is in the normal range of results. Here they are, normal ranges noted in parenthesis:

Last year my PTH tripled to 76.2 (15 -65) so I upped my calcium and Vitamin D a bit this year it was normal at 42.8
Calcium was normal last year at 9.6, this year it is high at 10.9, (8.7 - 10.2)
Vitamin D was 70.1 last year, 130 6 months prior to this, and 54.3 this year, (30 - 100)

TBIC (250-450) mine is normal at 368
Iron Serum (35-155) last year it was normal at 62 now it is high at 178
Iron Saturation % (15 – 55) 48.4
Ferritin, Serum (Serial) (15 – 150) last year was 285, now 361

Creatinine, Serum (.57 - 1.00), pre op .8; six months post op, .63; last year .06; this year, .06

Phosphorus (2.5 - 4.5), last year 4.8, this year 5.1

ALT (SGPT) (0 - 32) last year high at 46, this year higher at 61

Hematocrit (38.0 - 44), Last year normal at 40.5, this year high at 45.3

TSH (.3 -3.00), Pre-op 2.6, six months post-op 2.56, last year low at 0.19, this year high at 3.32
Thyroxine (T4) Free, Direct S (.80 – 1.9) normal at 1.28
T3, total (76-181) low at 75

I take Levothyroxine 75 Mcg for my thyroid. I think I was taking it too close to my iron last year so I spaced it out more.

Last edited:
When you get your labs, the normal ranges will be next to your result. Each lab reports them differently

Calcium needs to be mid range.
D needs to be high normal, as close to 100 as possible. (And this is regardless of what the lab says high is as most labs are now reporting normal between 30-100. Use to be 25-85 and before that 15-50).
PTH needs to be as low normal as possible. I think 15 is the bottom and below 25 is ideal.
I had partial lab work done last week, PTH was 40 (14-64), Vit D25 was 65 (30-100), copper 95 (70-175) and Zinc 85 (60-130). Not sure what the doctor is looking for but how do you go about getting PTH down to 25? This is the part that is so confusing to me, what do I take more of?
Thanks,
Ruby

I had partial lab work done last week, PTH was 40 (14-64), Vit D25 was 65 (30-100), copper 95 (70-175) and Zinc 85 (60-130). Not sure what the doctor is looking for but how do you go about getting PTH down to 25? This is the part that is so confusing to me, what do I take more of?
Thanks,
Ruby
Start by adding more D.

What brand, type, and how much D do you currently take? Be exact.

And how much, type of calcium are you taking?

While a PTH of 40 isn't horrid, you want it between 15 and 25 if possible. My latest PTH was 19.

Start by adding more D.

What brand, type, and how much D do you currently take? Be exact.

And how much, type of calcium are you taking?

While a PTH of 40 isn't horrid, you want it between 15 and 25 if possible. My latest PTH was 19.
I take Bio Tech 50,000 daily with an additional 50,000 every other day. When I took 100,000 per day my D3 went up to 106 and Dr. L thought it was too high. My D3 was 85 in Feb of this year, what is the difference in the two D's?

Calcium I take Upcal D 2,000 per day and 3 of the Bone Up per day (I have the one where 3 pills daily is the dose). I also drink milk 3 times daily with my pills.

I have found this combination to work well for the calcium, isn't so constipating. Thank you for recommending this. :)

Ruby

I take Bio Tech 50,000 daily with an additional 50,000 every other day. When I took 100,000 per day my D3 went up to 106 and Dr. L thought it was too high. My D3 was 85 in Feb of this year, what is the difference in the two D's?

Calcium I take Upcal D 2,000 per day and 3 of the Bone Up per day (I have the one where 3 pills daily is the dose). I also drink milk 3 times daily with my pills.

I have found this combination to work well for the calcium, isn't so constipating. Thank you for recommending this. :)

Ruby
Good on the calcium. As far as the D, right kind/amount but apparently not enough. 106 is not excessively high. Maybe do the 100,000 6 days a week?

Every time I read some new thread, I learn a lot more, thanks a lot!
Actually, my labs came out with a slightly low T4, maybe it is related to the Vit D deficiency? I'm starting to feel that maybe even my Depression has had a lot to do with low vitamin levels...why didn't I find you earlier! :(

Actually, my labs came out with a slightly low T4, maybe it is related to the Vit D deficiency? I'm starting to feel that maybe even my Depression has had a lot to do with low vitamin levels...why didn't I find you earlier! :(
I think you might be confusing TSH and PTH. Thyroid stimulating hormone and parathyroid hormone. D and PTH are related but I am not sure about TSH or T4 and D.

I agree with Scott. T4 has nothing to do with vitamin D...it is a function of the thyroid gland.
The parathyroid gland which is different...it is located along side the thyroid, share the blood supply, venous drainage, and lymphatic drainage but they are NOT part of the thyroid.

I'm so happy to have found this post! My PTS is really high, and I do have RNY...so, I will keep that in mind when I take the results to the doc.

Latest posts

Back