Parathyroid...check your D, Calcium, AND PTH first

So if taking out the parathyroid isn't the solution for wls induced high pth numbers what is? If one takes calcium and D and the pth dies not go down?
I am going in for reclast infusion for my osteoporosis.. is that proper?
Tks for this great info

So if taking out the parathyroid isn't the solution for wls induced high pth numbers what is? If one takes calcium and D and the pth dies not go down?
I am going in for reclast infusion for my osteoporosis.. is that proper?
Tks for this great info
First off, assume it WILL make your PTH go down. BUT it make take more D to accomplish that. A friend of mine got her PTH from 109 to 15 inside of 6 months by taking 150,000 Dry D3 a day...her D is right at 100.

I had Reclast for my osteoporosis. Be WARNED...you may feel like you have the flu for a WEEK afterwards. I was lucky. I only felt a bit "off" for 24 hours but after that was fine.

First off, assume it WILL make your PTH go down. BUT it make take more D to accomplish that. A friend of mine got her PTH from 109 to 15 inside of 6 months by taking 150,000 Dry D3 a day...her D is right at 100.

I had Reclast for my osteoporosis. Be WARNED...you may feel like you have the flu for a WEEK afterwards. I was lucky. I only felt a bit "off" for 24 hours but after that was fine.
Ok good tks. Glad to hear from someone who did the reclast. Did it help. Do you do it every year? Do you take any pills for the osteoporosis also?

Ok good tks. Glad to hear from someone who did the reclast. Did it help. Do you do it every year? Do you take any pills for the osteoporosis also?
As this was my first infusion and have not had a repeat DEXA scan, don't know if it helps.

My PCP didn't even bother prescribing pills as he understands malabsorption and realizes they are a waste of money and time.

I've done the Reclast Infusion twice (next one is 11/15). It was quite rough, but I got through it.

While my Dexa scan hasn't improved, the marker in my blood regarding bone turnover has improved. The bone loss has stopped; however, it hasn't started increasing yet.

Just wanted to give this post a bump and a thank you! My latest tests came back with a 40 point drop in D (whoopee), a PTH of 77 and calcium at 9.3. This puts me smack in the D deficiency bubble. I'm on 50K IU/day currently, think I'll be doubling that, ASAP.

Well lived through of reclast with no problems. Talked to the endo about my pth which has now jumped even higher to 140. Sigh. He has no answers. Says my body is not absorbing the calcium and nothing can be done. Last time my pth and calcium were fine i was doing patches for vitd calcium and multi. So we are going to try that again and retest in December. Anyone have any other thoughts?
I was told that there was a study that said calciun had to go through your gut and patches will not help calcium..

My labs were not good this time with my

PTH - 102
Calcium - 9.2
D,1,25 - 95 (not sure if these are always the same as D3)
D3 - 95
A - 44
Iron is low and needs help, Ferritin is at 10.

I had total knee replacement surgery in July and was excepting some lower labs but had hoped they wouldn't be this bad. Doctor (Dr. Lutrzykowski) wants me to try a powder calcium (Upcal D and a prescription of Calcitriol 2x daily). I use Vitalady's Calcium, not sure why I'm not absorbing enough. I also take Boron with each dose and Magnesium. 50,000 of D everyday and an additional one every other day. Will have labs redone in 3 months.

Any suggestions to tweak my vitamins? Anyone else us Upcal D with good results?

Thanks for any help,
Ruby

Upping vitamin K2 helped bring my PTH back into range within 3 months. I went from 150mcg a day to 600mcg.

Magnesium citrate in a 2:1 ratio will also help. 2:1 means that if you're taking a 600mg batch of calcium then you should also take 300mg of magnesium citrate. I do 6 or 7 batches like this a day.

I need to lower my PTH as well and will give this a try. Thanks for posting what worked for you.

Just wanted to give this post a bump and a thank you! My latest tests came back with a 40 point drop in D (whoopee), a PTH of 77 and calcium at 9.3. This puts me smack in the D deficiency bubble. I'm on 50K IU/day currently, think I'll be doubling that, ASAP.
You should get an injection of D. I struggled to keep my D even close to below midrange and was taking 200K IU daily. Dr K gave me a D injection before my revision on 8/18 and my last D reading a month ago was over range.....so I have backed down to 100K IU a day. 50K IU seems extremely low based on other DS Post Op intake that I have seen on the board and from friends. The injection works fast so talk to your Doc and it is a five second injection so it is easy peasy

I'd definitely recommend talking with a hematologist about iron infusions / Fereheme. They really make a huge difference in how you feel. My ferritin drops to a 2 or 3 usually by the time I get in (every 3 months) and my hemoglobin is always in the tank, but then a few days after the first infusion, I feel like a million dollars. It's amazing how NOT having anemia can feel so fantastic.

I'd definitely recommend talking with a hematologist about iron infusions / Fereheme. They really make a huge difference in how you feel. My ferritin drops to a 2 or 3 usually by the time I get in (every 3 months) and my hemoglobin is always in the tank, but then a few days after the first infusion, I feel like a million dollars. It's amazing how NOT having anemia can feel so fantastic.
I get my monthly labs drawn tomorrow, well it slipped and has been two months. My iron/ferritin has never been an issue but I am non iron deficient anemic. My H & H were up after surgery but dropped again in September so I am anxious to see how the H & H as well Tot Protein and Albumin are doing this time. I hear you on feeling a ton better when not anemic. I have never been super anemic but have been anemic enough to feel like a whooped dog.

FYI: My last read the Hematocrit was 31% and the Hemoglobin was 10.1 If I can bump those just up to bottom of range (38% and 13) I feel a gazillion times better.

My labs were not good this time with my

PTH - 102
Calcium - 9.2
D,1,25 - 95 (not sure if these are always the same as D3)
D3 - 95
A - 44
Iron is low and needs help, Ferritin is at 10.

I had total knee replacement surgery in July and was excepting some lower labs but had hoped they wouldn't be this bad. Doctor (Dr. Lutrzykowski) wants me to try a powder calcium (Upcal D and a prescription of Calcitriol 2x daily). I use Vitalady's Calcium, not sure why I'm not absorbing enough. I also take Boron with each dose and Magnesium. 50,000 of D everyday and an additional one every other day. Will have labs redone in 3 months.

Any suggestions to tweak my vitamins? Anyone else us Upcal D with good results?

Thanks for any help,
Ruby
I tweak my vitamins based on lab results...and that causes me to be on 150k of DRY Vitamin D, daily.

Latest posts

Back