Parathyroid...check your D, Calcium, AND PTH first

hilary1617

First time at the rodeo.
Researching PTH and Calcium based on Kirmy's comments in a different thread on diet and a note about degenerative changes found in my fairly young spine and came across the following chart and explanatory language which I think is very helpful. It is from: http://www.parathyroid.com/hyperparathyroidism-diagnosis.htm

My last PTH was 98 and Calcium was 9.2, putting me on this chart right in the purple Gastric Bypass Surgery section...
Calcium-normogram.gif

amodrule.gif

High Parathyroid Hormone Levels in Patients with Intestinal Absorption Problems, Such as:
Gastric Bypass Surgery, and Celiac Sprue, and Crohn's Disease.

There is a growing group of patients who have dramatic life-long problems absorbing calcium in their diet. These patients are now illustrated on our graph in the purple area. These patients have a problem with their intestines that prevent them from absorbing calcium well. Since they don't (can't) absorb calcium from their diet, their NORMAL parathyroid glands will do what they are supposed to do... maintain a proper calcium level in the blood. There is only one thing these normal parathyroid glands can do... all four glands enlarge and produce lots of PTH which removes calcium from the bones--its the only place to get the calcium. The blood calcium is therefore maintained appropriately in the normal range (usually low normal between 8.2 and 9.2, but can be as low as 7.0) at the expense of taking calcium out of the bones. Thus these patients have very significant osteoporosis, high PTH levels, low normal calcium and high alkaline-phosphatase (shows increased bone destruction). These patients do NOT need their parathyroid glands removed. They have developed a total-body calcium deficit due to a longstanding inability to absorb calcium through their intestines.

The most common people in this purple group are 1) those who have had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss, 2) those with Celiac Sprue, 3) those with Crohn's disease, and 4) those who have had a significant part of their intestines surgically removed. Patients who have had gastric bypass surgery will eat food which then is routed around most of their stomach and the first part of their intestines (thus the term 'bypass'). Virtually 100% of these patients will have malabsorption of calcium. Thus, all patients who undergo gastric bypass for weight loss must be taking calcium and vitamin D every day or they will develop a total body calcium deficit which leads to overproduction of PTH by normal parathyroid glands leading to severe osteoporosis and the problems described here. Do NOT remove these NORMAL functioning parathyroid glands even though they are making lots of PTH... they are doing so appropriately. The treatment for these patients is to fix their calcium deficit by giving them daily calcium and Vit D pills...

Last edited:
Researching the whole PTH/Calcium based on Kirmy's comments above and came across the following chart and explanatory language which I think is very helpful. It is from: http://www.parathyroid.com/hyperparathyroidism-diagnosis.htm

My last PTH was 98 and Calcium was 9.2, putting me on this chart right in the purple Gastric Bypass Surgery section...
Calcium-normogram.gif

amodrule.gif

High Parathyroid Hormone Levels in Patients with Intestinal Absorption Problems, Such as:
Gastric Bypass Surgery, and Celiac Sprue, and Crohn's Disease.

There is a growing group of patients who have dramatic life-long problems absorbing calcium in their diet. These patients are now illustrated on our graph in the purple area. These patients have a problem with their intestines that prevent them from absorbing calcium well. Since they don't (can't) absorb calcium from their diet, their NORMAL parathyroid glands will do what they are supposed to do... maintain a proper calcium level in the blood. There is only one thing these normal parathyroid glands can do... all four glands enlarge and produce lots of PTH which removes calcium from the bones--its the only place to get the calcium. The blood calcium is therefore maintained appropriately in the normal range (usually low normal between 8.2 and 9.2, but can be as low as 7.0) at the expense of taking calcium out of the bones. Thus these patients have very significant osteoporosis, high PTH levels, low normal calcium and high alkaline-phosphatase (shows increased bone destruction). These patients do NOT need their parathyroid glands removed. They have developed a total-body calcium deficit due to a longstanding inability to absorb calcium through their intestines.

The most common people in this purple group are 1) those who have had gastric bypass surgery for weight loss, 2) those with Celiac Sprue, 3) those with Crohn's disease, and 4) those who have had a significant part of their intestines surgically removed. Patients who have had gastric bypass surgery will eat food which then is routed around most of their stomach and the first part of their intestines (thus the term 'bypass'). Virtually 100% of these patients will have malabsorption of calcium. Thus, all patients who undergo gastric bypass for weight loss must be taking calcium and vitamin D every day or they will develop a total body calcium deficit which leads to overproduction of PTH by normal parathyroid glands leading to severe osteoporosis and the problems described here. Do NOT remove these NORMAL functioning parathyroid glands even though they are making lots of PTH... they are doing so appropriately. The treatment for these patients is to fix their calcium deficit by giving them daily calcium and Vit D pills...

THIS IS A HUGELY IMPORTANT POST - I HAVE HEARD OF NUMEROUS BARIATRIC PATIENTS WHO ARE BEING TOLD THEY NEED THEIR PARATHYROIDS REMOVED, AND WHO HAVE HAD SURGERY THEY DIDN'T NEED!!

PLEASE MAKE THIS A SEPARATE STICKIED POST - IT APPLIES TO ALL BARIATRIC SURGERIES!

Thank you so much for researching and posting this. This is why I love this site, people voluntarily doing/sharing for others because they care.

Upping vitamin K2 helped bring my PTH back into range within 3 months. I went from 150mcg a day to 600mcg.

Magnesium citrate in a 2:1 ratio will also help. 2:1 means that if you're taking a 600mg batch of calcium then you should also take 300mg of magnesium citrate. I do 6 or 7 batches like this a day.

Ya know, I TRIED to explain this to my SIL, a normie, before she went in for surgery. She did not listen. Now she's been diagnosed with osteoporosis. Well, DUH. So I asked her what she's taking for calcium. She says, oh, I eat enough calcium that I don't need to take any. HUH? Obviously, you DO NOT, if you've got this issue.

Like talking to a brick wall.

Oops - I've been on and off the board lately, and I swear I thought Hilary's post was in the middle of someone's thread - my post makes no sense, since this IS it's own thread! Nevermind .... :)

Oops - I've been on and off the board lately, and I swear I thought Hilary's post was in the middle of someone's thread - my post makes no sense, since this IS it's own thread! Nevermind .... :)
I took your suggestion and made Hillary's post her own thread...and yours went along for the ride.

Since it was moved, I edited the first couple of sentences to note the context of the discussion which prompted my research. I'm very glad Kirmy raised the issue of PTH leeching calcium from bones as I have learned from the DS and my other surgeries that I am largely ignorant of the workings of the human body.

Just got some of my latest blood work back and the numbers have gotten worse, darn it! Calcium 9, PTH 116. Increasing my tender Cal-Mag-D3's again!!!!

In the interests of full disclosure, my malnutrition is not from DS alone, I had part of my pancreas removed due to cancer, so further I don't produce enough of the enzymes needed to break food down (I take Creon instead), and to deal with post-cholecystectomy (gallbladder removal) bile salt diarrhea, I take a drug called Welchol that interferes with absorption of just about everything. So, I have a few extra challenges on the digestion front. That said, everyone with DS or any weight loss surgery needs to be vigilant with calcium!

Latest posts

Back