Our Sweet Roo

For those of you who didn't know our sweet Roo finally had surgery today to get rid of the son of a bitch Enie (her huge hernia) who hasn't let her eat anything in forever and she had her apron removed as well. Her husband reported that she was in surgery for 9 hours.

Last week I was sworn to secrecy under threat of lost body parts to not breath a word to anyone until she was out and Mr Roo posted on the FB group because she was very scared that the surgery would get cancelled again and she was quite fearful because of her near death experience with her hip replacement surgery. Naturally I assured her that she would be just fine because she is way to ornery to go out that way, but she was having none of that. Mr Roo says she is doing well and hopefully still sleeping, but I am so proud of her and happy for her that I wanted to let all of you know as well.

Thanks for keeping everyone in the loop Scott! :) It wasn't my hip op that almost killed me, it was actually my DS! It was a scary, trying time, but I made it :)

So lets see. I got my date (this one was the second one as last op was cancelled a couple of days before) middle of May I think. I was terrified to tell anyone and jinx myself. And it seemed to have worked lol.

Ernie (my huge hernia) is dead and gone! That miserable bastard! So my surgeon this morning tells me 'that was a REALLY big hernia'. Well no shit sherlock! Ive been telling you that for TWO YEARS! ugh. But its fixed! I got me some biomesh in there with some muscle tightening. Also, the huge foot long horizontal scare from my emergency op post DS is gone. Like gone gone. The must have cut that section out and grabbed skin from the sides and pulled me inwards.

I also had an apronectomy :) 23lbs removed of skin flap. The PS said it was the biggest he had ever done. So I have sort of an anchor scar. Two incisions, one from middle of breastbone down to the incision of the hip to hip apronectomy. I have no belly button (told them I didn't care. It was just one more place to get infected).

Morning of op I was 269 and they removed 23lbs. I am 2lbs off from having lost 400lbs. That blows my mind.

I came through surgery just fine and woke up when I was supposed to :) They did however manage to dehydrate me 3 times, leaving my BP very low. I had nurses slapping my face making me have a conversation whilst other nurses hooked up a drip...this whole time Im on a camode. I can't make this stuff up lol.

And I had issues with Junior Doctors. My surgery was on Friday so by the time I was on the ward, it was Junior Doctor time. They wouldn't let me eat. Nothing. All I had for 36 hours was ice water. I explained to at least 3 of them, I had had no surgery on my insides and there is no reason to restrict my intake especially as Im a high risk patient for malnutrition. Yeah it was like arguing with a cactus. Bastards. The whole food situation there was DIRE! My bariatric team stepped in to allow bananas and yogurt for breakfast instead of cereal and toast that everyone else has to have. Plus all I could drink milk and a space in the fridge for home bought food. So Mike brought me lunchmeats and protein bars, otherwise it would be worse than it is. I now have a protein goal of 200g a day to try to get back up in range and help with healing.

200g is now possible thanks to the op! I had steak tonight for dinner. Nothing else. Just a big ass steak cooked in butter and garlic salt. I got in just over 6oz. To let you know how amazing this is.....before fixing Ernie....2 bites of anything, cottage cheese, eggs, meat...anything would sent me to the loo vomitting. Its been a trying 2 years. But that steak was amazing.

Im home now. I got home earlier this evening. I can't sleep :( My bed hurts my back so Im downstairs watching family guy hoping I pass out on the sofa. Im weary that the drs didn't give me claxaine (blood thinning shots) to take home. They also changed meds they had no business changing. Once I collect my thoughts, there will be official complaints made. Im still mad they wouldn't let me eat. You do NOT tell a fat girl she cannot eat when she KNOWS people can eat post op unless the surgeons specify NIL by mouth. Heads will roll. lol.

But Im doing well. So much better than my DS. SO MUCH BETTER! And I can eat. I feel hopeful about my ability to lose weight again :)

Thank you all for your support, it means the world! Sorry if this post is disjointed, Im extremely tired, can't sleep and have taken pain killers.

If you have any questions, ask away :)

@DuodenalSwitchaRoo i am just so glad you are home, healing and that bastard Ernie is history. May he rot in hell!

the helliest of hells!!! I cannot tell you how good it feels to eat! It's also a huge learning curve. I have forgotten how to eat like a WLS patient, much less a DSer. I don't know my sleeve anymore. I've been sick twice...both my fault as I though 'theres only one bite left' yeah no. You know what hurts? Heaving with newly stitched muscles lol. But Im hopeful. Take it slow, take caution with each new food and focus on protein from actual food sources. I will save a mint if I can get 200g a day in food and not have to do shakes and protein bars (the only thing I was 100% keeping down with Ernie).

So yeah, even with all the kerfuffle, it was a good op and Im glad I had it :)

I am so so happy for you @DuodenalSwitchaRoo !! Now you can really live the DS life, steak, butter and all! Can't wait to see pics when you are up to it. For now it sounds like you are doing well and what you need to to optimize your recovery. Congratulations!!!

I was smart enough to remember to take nekked preop pics so I could appreciate the change :) Even just looking in the mirror...Im narrower and smaller. Its pretty insane lol. My centre of gravity is all out of whack too....I walk around like Ive been hitting the bottle. I tend to trail to my left lol.

You are rocking it yoi skinny ass chica!

BTW I want one of those steaks you had for dinner as it looked perfectly cooked. When I come visit you I will be expecting one of those! :p

You are rocking it yoi skinny ass chica!

BTW I want one of those steaks you had for dinner as it looked perfectly cooked. When I come visit you I will be expecting one of those! :p

Thank you :) I don't feel skinny, but I do find feel very normal. So much so that on the way home we stopped at services for a wee and someone shouted out 'look at that pig'...and for an instant I flushed with embarrassment because those comments were ALWAYS about me, but then I thought pffttt. He can't mean me and if he does mean me, he is trippin, and I let it go just like that!

Theres not much Mike is better than me at when it comes to cooking, but steak is the one area that he kicks my ass. It was perfection! <3

Here are a couple of pics from 10 minutes ago after my sponge bath and some gigging of dressing so I can wear a bra lol. Going to cinema tonight and me no likey pancake tits!

This body used to be 644lbs. That is WHACK yo!!!!

So I weighed this morning...I know, I know, beat me with a bloody stick lol. Surgeons said not to weigh for 2 months as it would be higher due to swelling...but Roo doesn't do authority very gracefully lol.

The result was 113kg....248lbs (so thats only 2lbs up from what the maths of surgery says [269-23=246]....so I lost more weight since op!) and they best news to my competitive lil arse is, Im only 9kgs heavier than my husband. SQUEEEEEEE! I never ever in a million years thought I would get this small lol. It's so insane!

Attachments

• 13939425_10153625862627676_7034986967885521678_n.jpg
    13939425_10153625862627676_7034986967885521678_n.jpg
    74.4 KB · Views: 16
  • 13939345_10153625862642676_1251947352506258633_n.jpg
    13939345_10153625862642676_1251947352506258633_n.jpg
    71.4 KB · Views: 16
OMG! Now I see what you mean about your new center of gravity and balance! I get how walking might feel rather odd for a bit, but what a glorious feeling! You look so small!!! I would guess the wardrobe is going to have to be revamped now, too. Yay you, @DuodenalSwitchaRoo !

For the next couple of months it is legging/yoga pants city! I promised Mike I wouldn't buy any clothes for 2 months at least, so swelling has a chance to go down. Im kinda lucky in that I hoard clothes and I buy from several places that aren't always true to size so I had some smaller stuff lying around, like the skirt Im wearing. :)

My right hip doesn't help the walking as I don't have a gait really. My left leg goes forward and my right leg catches up...repeat...I don't walk normal and when I try, my right hip catches like a mo-fo! Due to get that one fixed in Nov time :)

Ok, so Im WAY less angry now. Just spoke to my GP (the one who is leaving me, sob) and explained everything about my OP and the the Junior Doctors. She giggled and apologised. Apparently it is known in the GP circles that the very worst time of year to have an OP is August...and I was a Friday op. The FIRST weekend of AUGUST!!!! The greener than fucking green Junior Doctors had been let loose.

I get it now. Manuals in hand and I did not fit into their nice little categories so they panicked. They are human. Still pissed they wouldn't let me eat, lol, but I can be pissed and forgive them at the same time. May they have more grace with their next highly intelligent hungry fat girl encounter.

Latest posts

Back