Orthopedic issues...

SJB41976

had to get two steroid shots yesterday due to my arthritis causing pain in my hand and foot. Man....it HURT like hell, and I've had shots before. Whew.

I am going to start taking Krill Oil to help lubricate the joints. It's different than fish oil and we absorb it. And I am going to research turmeric/curcummin that my trainer recommended. I took that supplement before but going to find one of the better ones.

My ortho issues was the main reason I knew I needed to revise and get the weight off. Arthritis does run my my family and mom has dealt with it for years (and has never been obese). But, being MO on my part I am sure has caused more problems sooner.

If you have ortho issues, what do you take that gives some relief? I am already on Celebrex, although I stopped it to take ibuprofen after these shots to have more relief from the pain of the shots (still feeling that today).

Ugh!!! I am hoping for more pain relief the closer I get to goal but that's still going to be a few months. Unfortunately, the damage has been done.

I just had two injections this week. One in each shoulder. It had been 5 months and I am not waiting that long next time. I really don't want surgery so hopefully these can hold me off for a while.

My wife had the tendon on her right wrist injected yesterday as it is inflamed and was really hurting her when she made certain movements.

Arthritis is the main reason I had the DS...so I could take NSAIDS. My back is a mess as well. I've had 2 back surgeries (3/2006 and 10/2013) Lower back. Now it seems my neck is getting in the act. Getting old is hell.

Yep degeneration of the discs and arthritis are issues for me as well. Already had c-spine fusion. I need another injection in the neck though.

My 2 senior dogs are on krill oil, turmeric, circummin, and bromelain, glucosamine, and chondroitin. It has helped them a lot. They also get an aspirin every day.

had to get two steroid shots yesterday due to my arthritis causing pain in my hand and foot. Man....it HURT like hell, and I've had shots before. Whew.

I am going to start taking Krill Oil to help lubricate the joints. It's different than fish oil and we absorb it. And I am going to research turmeric/curcummin that my trainer recommended. I took that supplement before but going to find one of the better ones.

My ortho issues was the main reason I knew I needed to revise and get the weight off. Arthritis does run my my family and mom has dealt with it for years (and has never been obese). But, being MO on my part I am sure has caused more problems sooner.

If you have ortho issues, what do you take that gives some relief? I am already on Celebrex, although I stopped it to take ibuprofen after these shots to have more relief from the pain of the shots (still feeling that today).

Ugh!!! I am hoping for more pain relief the closer I get to goal but that's still going to be a few months. Unfortunately, the damage has been done.
Thanks for the info on krill oil - didn't know that we could absorb it. I took fish oil before surgery and it really helped with the bone-on-bone arthritis in my knee. The reduced weight helps a lot these days but the knee still bothers me some days, especially since I'm moving around much more. Will order some krill oil now and give it a try!

I too am crippled with hip arthritis and this too was a big motivation for me in obtaining the DS. So far it isn't helping, I'm 50+ pounds down and in more pain now than ever. I'm hoping I can get another steroid shot soon. Going to now look for krill oil on Amazon!!

As I wait for my hip replacement surgery date (I am #20 on the waiting list with Kaiser), I deal with the pain with a dose of 400 mg of Ibuprofen every morning. While it doesn't completely take the pain away, it makes it tolerable. On days when the pain gets pretty intense, I take another dose in the afternoon and sometimes take Tylenol with codeine when I go to bed. Just hoping this continues to allow me to function until I get my new hip.
I still don't like that I have to do this, but the arthritis is not going to get better and the damage has been done both from my genetics and years of obesity. Just want to enjoy running around with my grandkids while they still want to hang out with me.
Hope you find the right mix for you! Every day I am grateful for my DS both for my new 'small self' which doctors say will help in both the surgery and recovery, and that I am able to take NSAIDS.

I just want to be able to move around looking my age and not an old woman, hobbling about, and in pain. The pain may never go away, but losing the weight has to help some.

Thanks everyone!

I just want to be able to move around looking my age and not an old woman, hobbling about, and in pain. The pain may never go away, but losing the weight has to help some.

Thanks everyone!
Losing weight did not help arthritis at all, in fact I got worse and worse. HOWEVER, losing the weight has made Drs sit up and take notice that it wasn't a fat issue but a hereditary issue. That and the fact that I don't have to worry about weight limits/size limitations of medical instruments is amazing!

At my very worst before my hip replacement, I was on 50mgh of fentanyl and lots and lots of 30mg codeine pills at a time...and I could STILL feel the pain. Not fun!

My little sister is now going through a similar thing. I hate watching people struggle with arthritis pain as Ive been there and I remember the agony oh so well.

I hope you find relief in something!

Losing weight did not help arthritis at all, in fact I got worse and worse. HOWEVER, losing the weight has made Drs sit up and take notice that it wasn't a fat issue but a hereditary issue.
Having arthritis is a BITCH. But being told that it is because you are overweight is just wrong. So glad you proved them wrong.

I so wanted to say to my ortho when he told me I had bone on bone arthritis in my thumb, "hmmm.. how does obesity play a role in arthritis in my THUMB???"

My wife was having really bad wrist and thumb pain recently and the ortho gave her an injection in the tendon and it gave immediate relief.

Latest posts

Back