NUT appointment today and some small positive changes in recommendations happening

writegirl

Work in Progress
Well, I had my NUT appointment with Dr. Boyce's nutritionist and then a "what to expect/do/not do from one of his surgical nurses. A few things stood out. First, the nutrition guidelines for the DS patients has (finally) been updated (apparently they're still re-educating the surgeons on this) by the NUTs to acknowledge the higher protein and fat needs of the DS patient. In fact, the paperwork in the folder they gave us has not been "updated" to reflect the power point information given by the NUT. Some of you may recall that when I first met with the surgeon, I was told that BPD-DS patients required 60 grams of protein a day. Of course, now I know that is not at all the case. Well, today the NUT gave this rundown:

For BPD-DS and SADI patients:
>90 grams of protein in Phase I at or by 1 month visit, for both men and women, this needs to increase to at least 100-120 grams of protein by Phase IV.

It was funny because one of the other patients said "That's not what I was told in my consultation" and the NUT said "We're going to need to speak with Dr. Boyce again about this and she kind of shrugged, "But these are the updated guidelines."

The fat intake advice still needs a bit of tweaking, imo. The NUT advises <30 grams of Fat in Phase I "for all patents" and "slight increases for BPD/SADI patients through each phase to Phase 4."

They are requiring us to remain in Phase I for one month and Phase II for 4 weeks, Phase III for 2 months, and Phase IV is for 4 months and beyond.

Of course, they want to push the Bari-life supplements and foods and want me on it for 4 weeks prior to surgery. I ordered the multi-vitamin for BEFORE surgery only and the powdered multi for the few weeks just after surgery before I'm cleared to start taking pills. Then I am switching to the Vitalady regimen.

The thing that irritated me the most during this visit was the vitamin recommendations. Our NUT said that she actually went to a conference recently and they unveiled a published study on bariatric patients and the use of the BariLife vitamin regimen and that there is "definitive evidence that patients who use the BariLife vitamins are having fewer incidents of deficiencies."

In her defense, when questioned about that a bit she said "The thing is when and if there is a deficiency, we can adjust for that." I just don't know how they can adjust for it since she never said how. I am assuming she means by prescribing additional supplements. No mention of what happens if levels are too high in any area. No mention of differences in vitamin needs between each surgery other than advising DS patients to take (8 tablets or 3 scoops) as opposed to RnY and VSG (6 tablets and 2 scoops).

I also bought one week of the food stuffs, but I will probably not be buying more of it (unless I love them). I would rather make my own broths and cream of wheat add some Unjury to amp the protein than eat only this packaged stuff. Plus HELLA expensive!

All in all, I found the NUT advice on protein intake to be "close" to what the DS veterans advise, but the NUTS still need some convincing about the Fat intake advice. The vitamin coverage is wanting. If they are going to quote a study, I wish they would have provided it for us to read. Baby steps?

Of course, they want to push the Bari-life supplements and foods and want me on it for 4 weeks prior to surgery. I ordered the multi-vitamin for BEFORE surgery only and the powdered multi for the few weeks just after surgery before I'm cleared to start taking pills. Then I am switching to the Vitalady regimen.
I switched to pills on my own the day I got home. Now, it took a long time to get my pills down as I could only do one at a time and my body insisted on waiting several minutes before the next one. But this "cleared to start taking pills" is horseshit for DSers. That is still RNY advice as pills can get stuck in their newly created stomach.

The powdered multi is nasty.

I switched to pills on my own the day I got home. Now, it took a long time to get my pills down as I could only do one at a time and my body insisted on waiting several minutes before the next one. But this "cleared to start taking pills" is horseshit for DSers. That is still RNY advice as pills can get stuck in their newly created stomach.

The powdered multi is nasty.

Oh, good to know. Thank you for explaining it better. I kind of felt like they are doing a sales pitch. I mean, they are, at least on some level. As for the nasty powdered stuff: BariLife came out with a brand new grit-free lemonade flavor and it does NOT suck. I can drink this. But, I have not heard good things about the other flavors. This one is made with a new process that removes all the grit so it is 100% soluble. It's not a long-term answer, but it will get me through a week or two after surgery if I am not feeling like I can handle pills well. I just don't know how I will feel so I thought better to have the powder on hand than risk getting zero supplementation. I know I won't be at a deficit right away, but I figured having vitamins might make me feel better and more energetic. I may be totally wrong on that though.

Actually having zero vitamins the first week or so is not life threatening. Unless you go into surgery severely deficient on one, you have enough stores in your body to last about a month easy.

In Mar 2012 (14 months after my DS), I had jaw surgery. If it could not fit thru a syringe, I couldn't handle it. I took no vitamins for 6 weeks. My labs were still stellar in July of that year.

Actually having zero vitamins the first week or so is not life threatening. Unless you go into surgery severely deficient on one, you have enough stores in your body to last about a month easy.

In Mar 2012 (14 months after my DS), I had jaw surgery. If it could not fit thru a syringe, I couldn't handle it. I took no vitamins for 6 weeks. My labs were still stellar in July of that year.

Yes, I realize I don't "need" the supplements right after surgery unless I am in a deficit (from reading posts here), but I am in deficient in Vitamin D and Iron absorption, so I figure it can't hurt to have them for that brief period, even if that is just a placebo effect. If all it does is make me feel better emotionally to have the vitamins, that is okay with me.

I am going the vitalady regimen for the rest of my life, though. The one thing that really concerns me with all the people who were DSers in that room yesterday (there were only DSers, some VSGsm and one revision from LAP to VSG) is that I was the only DSer questioning the vitamins at all. I didn't bother to grill the NUT, as I know from reading 9 months of posts here that doing so is useless, but I did ask what happens if there is a deficiency and she gave that "we make adjustments" blanket answer. No one else said a word.

It's not my business, but it does make me worry for these folks. Am I wrong in thinking that what I observed was people content with being led like sheep and accepting whatever they are told without question? I don't know if that bothered me more on a pre-surgery level or if it bothered me more on a this-is-what-out-nation-has-become level. I hope all of those DSers find there way here. The NUT recommended the surgeon's FB group and warned people to be cautious of groups online because of misinformation. I actually agree with that, but not when it comes to this group. I've found nothing but solid and timely information here, but the NUT will never go for it because the NUT will never believe the need for a vitamin regimen that provides way more versatility than BariLife.

I am outraged and sickened by the misinformation perpetrated by MDs and NUTs. But I cannot blame the average person for accepting their advice as gospel especially if the person had no problems (as yet) that might cause them to question that advice. There has to be some measure of trust for a doctor to whom you have granted permission to carve you up. People about to have DS are naturally fearful and wouldn't go through with it without this trust.

I go even more ballistic when bariatric surgeons decide to stop offering DS or create their own experimental unproven FRANKEN-SWITCH because patients are having malnutrition problems BECAUSE OF THEIR BAD ADVICE.

There was a published study of the validity of info from online forums done by Cleveland Clinic bariatric surgeons which showed the online forum accuracy of information as abysmal. (The study was published just before BF was created.) If I were an "average" person, and was informed of this study, I most certainly would be dubious of online info. So glad I never saw it until after I found BF!!!

I wish there was some way to educate DS surgeons. Would a professional bariatric journal publish a report by PATIENTS?

@writegirl Well, at least they're redoing their fat and protein intake. As for making adjustments to a vitamin routine; I'd be curious how often they do bloods. That's really the way to tweak one's supplements. I'm unsure how they'd do it otherwise.

The thing that irritated me the most during this visit was the vitamin recommendations. Our NUT said that she actually went to a conference recently and they unveiled a published study on bariatric patients and the use of the BariLife vitamin regimen and that there is "definitive evidence that patients who use the BariLife vitamins are having fewer incidents of deficiencies."

Who sponsored the conference? Drug companies spare no expense when it comes to pushing their drugs. They often offer continued education credits at no cost to the participant. Next time you're in doctor's office (any doctor) look around and notice how many things in the office have a pharmaceutical company's name or logo.

I'd like to know what other regimens were looked at, i.e. BariLife compared to what?

Am I wrong in thinking that what I observed was people content with being led like sheep and accepting whatever they are told without question?
What you ran into are sheeple. Unfortunately most people consider doctors as "god". They know EVERYTHING, right? Well, what do they call the person who was last in his class at graduation...doctor!
I'd like to know what other regimens were looked at, i.e. BariLife compared to what?
Why would they compare to anything else as Mrs. Boyce is the owner/CEO of BariLife.

@writegirl Well, at least they're redoing their fat and protein intake. As for making adjustments to a vitamin routine; I'd be curious how often they do bloods. That's really the way to tweak one's supplements. I'm unsure how they'd do it otherwise.

They do a one month check up and 4 month labs, as far as I know.

I'm sure that people who take BariLife vitamins do better than people who take NO vitamins, but that's as far as it goes.

That is what I figured. It can't hurt me to have them for that brief period till I feel like I can go full vitalady. I am ordering my supplements before surgery and will have them ready to go by the time I am ready to take the good stuff.

What you ran into are sheeple. Unfortunately most people consider doctors as "god". They know EVERYTHING, right? Well, what do they call the person who was last in his class at graduation...doctor!

Why would they compare to anything else as Mrs. Boyce is the owner/CEO of BariLife.

Wait...what? I did NOT know this! It's practically scandalous! I wonder if the Boyces are the developers of the product line? I agree on the sheeple. I count my blessings every day that some good soul invited me here the day I had my first consultation. I would have been lost without this place and I really do realize that. I would have researched because that is what I do, but this community made learning what I need to know so much easier. I kind of knew what to expect at the NUT meeting because of all the accounts here, so I felt prepared but it was still a little astonishing to see how willing the other patients were to be spoon fed.

@southernlady OMG I just visited the BariLife website and it was Boyce who developed the products. I never bothered to look them up because I never intended to take the products. I'm not sure I blame him for creating his own product line, I just did not expect that.

Wait...what? I did NOT know this! It's practically scandalous! I wonder if the Boyces are the developers of the product line? I agree on the sheeple. I count my blessings every day that some good soul invited me here the day I had my first consultation. I would have been lost without this place and I really do realize that. I would have researched because that is what I do, but this community made learning what I need to know so much easier. I kind of knew what to expect at the NUT meeting because of all the accounts here, so I felt prepared but it was still a little astonishing to see how willing the other patients were to be spoon fed.
Always and in all things, follow the money!

Latest posts

Back