Not sure being a full timer in an RV is wise anymore.

Well.. then do it in a flatland. Speaking as a former downhill skier.. you miss the controlling edge on x country skis. The slightest dip becomes an adventure, till you master the telemark turn
I’m not saying we will, just that if we did, those would be my options.

I'd highly recommend trying out our household favorite, commonly used by elderly in Scandinavia, which is the Potkukelkka / Kicksed. It's like cross country skiing with a walker and place to sit. It's how our kids used to get back and forth school in the winter.

When I was young, I served on the National Ski Patrol, but my downhill days are long behind me.

Last edited:
I'd highly recommend trying out our household favorite, commonly used by elderly in Scandinavia, is the Potkukelkka / Kicksed. It's like cross country skiing with a walker and place to sit. It's how our kids used to get back and forth school in the winter.

When I was young, I served on the National Ski Patrol, but my downhill days are long behind me.

View attachment 2460
Looks interesting.

I lived out in S. CA for 6 months...which was 5 months, 30 days too damned long. Too dry, way too dry. Hurts my sinuses. And I much prefer layers and all things that come with cold weather. I want snow. And yes, I know parts of AZ get snow but nope.

I can add clothes if I get cold but most of the country frowns on stripping down to bare skin when hot. And good sleeping weather for me and hubby is in the 50’s with loads of covers. A six cat night. (Play on the three dog night from the northwest pioneers that Three Dog Night, the band, took their name)

Well, if you’re happy, that’s good because it CAN get a bit crowded here.

But for the uninitiated: it isn’t dry at the coast and we have a lot of coastline. (Ask CaraOC ) Up north a bit, we have nasty humid rivers, if you like nasty, humid weather. From where we live, we can leave early in the day, eat lunch in the snow (snow doesn’t “happen” here…snow is something we “go to”), then head toward the desert to dry off, then head to the shore and go on a cruise. A long day, for sure, but it can happen in one day.

Or you can sit in your pool and look at the snow on the mountains. One day, I took a bunch of teens, who had never seen an ocean, to the ocean, but they had no swimwear. (Think: the film Stand and Deliver.) So we drove up a highway and threw snowballs at each other, because they had never seen snow, either.

We don’t have hurricanes or tornadoes, but we do have earthquakes and fires. Also, blizzards...think Donner Pass.

PS—On the political side, I’m a bit grumpy towards those who claim we are a nasty communist state that everyone is leaving.

If that were true, my middle-class zip code would have at least ONE house for sale for under half a million dollars. Nope. Not one…because demand is still high.

We don’t have hurricanes or tornadoes, but we do have earthquakes and fires. Also, blizzards...think Donner Pass.
The only natural disaster typical in WV, rain. Mountains tend to stop tornadoes, it’s not a typical path of a hurricane (although you can prepare for those cause like blizzards, you have plenty of warning).

We lived in Fullerton. Hubby was working in Brea (home of the tar pits). Neither of us liked the 10-20% humidity. We actually prefer it around 50% so much of the south is also out of the picture. We want a full four season lifestyle.

And a city of about 30,000 is ideal. It’s not the capital but if we want big city, Pittsburgh is an hour away.

PS—On the political side, I’m a bit grumpy towards those who claim we are a nasty communist state that everyone is leaving.

If that were true, my middle-class zip code would have at least ONE house for sale for under half a million dollars. Nope. Not one…because demand is still high.
I liked visiting California but it’s not my cup of tea for retirement. I’ve been watching different areas on Zillow, it’s a seller’s market. The good ones do not last long, sometimes sold before they can even hit the MLS.

The only natural disaster typical in WV, rain. Mountains tend to stop tornadoes, it’s not a typical path of a hurricane (although you can prepare for those cause like blizzards, you have plenty of warning).

We lived in Fullerton. Hubby was working in Brea (home of the tar pits). Neither of us liked the 10-20% humidity. We actually prefer it around 50% so much of the south is also out of the picture. We want a full four season lifestyle.

And a city of about 30,000 is ideal. It’s not the capital but if we want big city, Pittsburgh is an hour away.

Sounds idyllic. Except for the humidity, for us. We liked living in a small (pop 15k) town in NV. It was safe and isolated and self-contained. Everything we needed was right there. But “progress” happened, freeway came through, mom and pop places closed when people drove to Costco and Walmart “just down the freeway.” When we moved back there, we didn’t like what it had become.

BUT, while “brea” in Spanish translates to “tar” in English, and there IS some tar in Brea, the famous La Brea Tar Pits are in the City of Los Angeles. In fact, MiniSue’s CV includes her stint as Director of all special events and filming there, including working with Will Ferrell and other goofballs on their Land of the Lost film, parts of which were filmed there. What I like most about it is that the name, “The La Brea Tar Pits” if Spanish words are translated, means “The The Tar Tar Pits.”

Right out of lft field , I'd say..,. But what the heck.. if it makes sense to you, I'm in ;)

the left-fieldedness of it was the best part. and it got me to wondering, what if pet kangaroos got loose and went feral...would have to be somewhere warmer than Wisconsin, I guess. but the climate is warming, so....

:p

Latest posts

Back