No vitamins for a month?!?!?

BebeZed

I thought that one was supposed to start on vitamins as soon as possible after surgery, and in fact I had some chewables (I know, I know! lol) and a couple of sub-linguals that I started taking 1 week out from surgery. Then I got an email from the doctor's office saying I should resume vitamins after a month... ooops.

Have I messed up or should I truly be good to go with vitamins? They didn't seem to cause me any problems at all.

I have other vitamins (non-chewables) being delivered today so I'll have the full regimen. Just not sure if it's safe to start them all right away or not given the info in that email.

I thought that one was supposed to start on vitamins as soon as possible after surgery, and in fact I had some chewables (I know, I know! lol) and a couple of sub-linguals that I started taking 1 week out from surgery. Then I got an email from the doctor's office saying I should resume vitamins after a month... ooops.

Have I messed up or should I truly be good to go with vitamins? They didn't seem to cause me any problems at all.

I have other vitamins (non-chewables) being delivered today so I'll have the full regimen. Just not sure if it's safe to start them all right away or not given the info in that email.
They told me to start on 1 multivitamin 3x/day on my first day home then wait until the doctor told me to start the rest (which would most likely be the start of the pureed food phase). I've been doing that with no issues. I also bought chewable but find them wretched (can't tolerate the artificial sweet taste at the moment) so today I switched to pills. Don't think you'll hurt yourself taking a multi if you are tolerating them but you could check with the office for their rationale if you're worried.

Your first month is all about hydration! If the protein is fluid, great.

Unless you were in serious vitamin trouble pre-op (and no surgery SHOULD have done if you were), you are good for 2-4 weeks on what you have stored.

Once you start, start slowly and with your multi, then add calcium and iron (which will start firming things up) and whatever else you need.

Thanks for the responses!

I guess I will back off because I'm sure I wasn't deficient going into it. I know the multis and the calcium didn't cause any issues but iron has always been a bugaboo for me (severe constipation) so I'll wait a bit longer on that one.

As far as hydration goes... I'm constantly trotting back and forth the the bathroom to pee and it's always clear so I must be well-hydrated :) I'm getting nearly 64 oz/day, one sip at a time. I'm also doing at least 25g protein; I will kick that up soon. Thank goodness I bought the unflavored protein :D Back to my horrible sleeping patterns though... sheesh.

I know the multis and the calcium didn't cause any issues but iron has always been a bugaboo for me (severe constipation) so I'll wait a bit longer on that one.
WHEN you do start adding calcium and iron, start slowly adding fat (butter, full fat sour cream, milk, etc).

Make sure you get the correct kind of iron. And the calcium needs to be citraite.

Thanks for asking this @BebeZed! Being only a few days before you, I was wondering this to myself today. I'm currently taking 3 multi's a day, and was about to add chewable calcium. I have my VitaLady box here, but am planning to wait on the pills/non-chewables for a few more weeks when I start having solid foods. Sound about right?
(I also noticed adding greek yogurt and cottage cheese was a LIFESAVER to firm things up a bit.... maybe due to the calcium content?)

I'm glad this topic came up. I had wondered about using a "complete" meal replacement post surgery versus a protein drink as a way to get in some vit/mins.

Oh any... pick one. :rolleyes: There are lots out there bariatric and non-bariatric types. I'm guessing the whey protein/egg protein drinks might be hard to tolerate right away though.

I didn't start my vitamins for 3 months - I was gagging at the thought. I finally forced myself to start when I got scared of what I was doing to myself. You should start as soon as you can, but don't feel terrible if you can't right away. But don't wait 3 months.

I was sent home from the hospital with chewable multis (yes, I know) and calcium chews and told to start them after I was home 3 days. I started taking the regular multis after a week, and I worked my way up to a full regimen by one month.

Oh any... pick one. :rolleyes: There are lots out there bariatric and non-bariatric types. I'm guessing the whey protein/egg protein drinks might be hard to tolerate right away though.
Find a protein drink you can tolerate POST-OP and use it but not as a supplement for your vitamins. It is JUST a way to get 1) protein and 2) fluids.
Whey Isolate is best but egg or soy also work.
The main issue with protein drinks post op is many think you HAVE to make them with milk and lactose intolerance is very common after surgery. Make your protein drinks with water not milk.

Latest posts

Back