No energy and needing new goal totals.

I am taking a bariatric multi vitamin with high A D E K, she just prescribed me a dose of vitamin D that she wants me just taking once a week, and she also added iron ferrochel bisglycinate 36mg daily. I don't know what you needed specific on my labs I printed and am going to attach to the post.
And hence, your dilemma! You need say no more. You need to throw that crap away immediately! You should know by now you need to take A, D, E, K as individual doses, not in a damn multi pushed by all to many doctors offices. The multi is for other bariatric surgeries, NOT the DS. I'm quite sure you are in piss poor shape with your labs, and encourage you to have new levels done right away. It's nothing unfixable...YET. Look on this website under vitamins and follow the Vitalady recommendations- to the letter. They will seem like high doses, but are designed with your malabsorption issues in mind. Trust me, that multi vit crap is NOT what you need.

You also stated you dr Prescribed you vitamin D once a week. If she prescribed it its probably packed in oil which is doing NOTHING for you. You may as well have taken the money you paid for the script and threw it in the streets. Remember one of the beautiful things about the DS is we malabsorption Fat, which is what prescription E is packed in.

As being the female version of @DSRIGGS with always being malnourished you need to get on top of this like last week. I have almost died twice from being malnourished. Once you tank your levels it's hard as hell to get them up even with help. Plus it's darn there almost impossible for you to eat enough to get them up at that point.

Edited Auto correction

Last edited:
Look on this website under vitamins and follow the Vitalady recommendations- to the letter. They will seem like high doses, but are designed with your malabsorption issues in mind. Trust me, that multi vit crap is NOT what you need.
Will, I remember you had the hardest time getting this...glad it did take, :)

What I tell people is that except for B6 and PTH, the rest need to be mid to high normal. The B6 and PTH need to be low normal. But how much you take to keep those amounts should not be an issue. Some need far more of one than another...way beyond what the medical professionals THINK.

You also need to understand that those labs are 2 months old, and in no way reflect your current levels. Your body had stores of vitamins it's been depleting gradually since you've been post op, and now that I know what you've been taking for vitamins, I'm very worried for you. Please don't be offended, but you need to get serious with managing your nutritional needs. Read all the info here. Listen to veterans of 1 yr, 5 yrs, 10 yrs, 20 yrs represented here. And where are your vitamin levels? You need to also look here on this site for what labs you need drawn. I'm literally speechless that with a low D level your doctor ordered a once a week supplement. I literally need to go now, before I go on a profanity laden tirade and scare you! Your doctor is NOT up to date on supplementation requirements for DS patients. Please believe me when I say that.
:attention9ha:

Will, I remember you had the hardest time getting this...glad it did take, :)

What I tell people is that except for B6 and PTH, the rest need to be mid to high normal. The B6 and PTH need to be low normal. But how much you take to keep those amounts should not be an issue. Some need far more of one than another...way beyond what the medical professionals THINK.
Haha! I know Liz....but I think what saved me was I was always willing to listen to those who knew more than I when it came to DS. What newer folks need to realize is that because the DS community is sooo small, we here on this site are literally a very important provider of scientific data. We challenge each other to rigorously employ the scientific method when discussing all things bariatric surgery related, and I don't think I'm exaggerating when I say many posting here have impacted greatly the field. Man alive, it's just so frustrating for me to see people being victimized by careless medical practices who don't have a freaking clue what DS patients need!! Argh!!!!!
:ahhhhhhh:

So last night I checked she prescribed me to take now 50,000 iu once a week of vitamin D2, Should I stop taking this and switch to the D3 100,000 iu daily? I am sorry but where on vitalady do I find out what to look for to meet the needs of what I am missing? I just see all the products they sell. Also does anyone know if I should bump up my iron from 36? I feel like crap I was training someone and I had to stop I just feel like talking so much wears me out and drains me that I can't think, and I have to start teaching classes soon so this worries me. When I asked the last time I got my blood work in late March they told me I could not go in to get blood work on my own without my surgeons work up order has anyone else had this problem? She has my next blood work scheduled for the last week of June.

So last night I checked she prescribed me to take now 50,000 iu once a week of vitamin D2, Should I stop taking this and switch to the D3 100,000 iu daily? I am sorry but where on vitalady do I find out what to look for to meet the needs of what I am missing? I just see all the products they sell. Also does anyone know if I should bump up my iron from 36? I feel like crap I was training someone and I had to stop I just feel like talking so much wears me out and drains me that I can't think, and I have to start teaching classes soon so this worries me. When I asked the last time I got my blood work in late March they told me I could not go in to get blood work on my own without my surgeons work up order has anyone else had this problem? She has my next blood work scheduled for the last week of June.
Prescription Vitamin D is oil based...and as a result is just expensive poop for you post-op. Malabsorption of fat is the beauty of the DS but it also means any oil based vitamins (A, D, E, K) must be dry or inject-able. Switch to the DRY vitamin D and up it to the 50,000 a day that is recommended to start until you get lab work.

MOST DS'ers can not bump iron up with oral iron. I have to get infusions. And it sounds like you need infusions now. Ask your PCP for a referral to a hematologist.

As far as what to take: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ Her list is located in that post.

Once you get a full lab work up post DS, you start tweaking that based on your own labs. And YES, you can get full labs without your surgeon involved. A good PCP is all you need for insurance covered labs but you can also order your own if you need to: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/did-you-know-you-can-order-your-own-labs.2068/

Ordering from Vitalady is preferable but you can also order thru the store located on this site. http://bariatricfacts.org/pages/store/

Prescription Vitamin D is oil based...and as a result is just expensive poop for you post-op. Malabsorption of fat is the beauty of the DS but it also means any oil based vitamins (A, D, E, K) must be dry or inject-able. Switch to the DRY vitamin D and up it to the 50,000 a day that is recommended to start until you get lab work.

MOST DS'ers can not bump iron up with oral iron. I have to get infusions. And it sounds like you need infusions now. Ask your PCP for a referral to a hematologist.

As far as what to take: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/vitalady-links.11/ Her list is located in that post.

Once you get a full lab work up post DS, you start tweaking that based on your own labs. And YES, you can get full labs without your surgeon involved. A good PCP is all you need for insurance covered labs but you can also order your own if you need to: http://bariatricfacts.org/threads/did-you-know-you-can-order-your-own-labs.2068/

Ordering from Vitalady is preferable but you can also order thru the store located on this site. http://bariatricfacts.org/pages/store/
Just last month my PCP put in monthly standing orders for me for the year, so I just show up at the hospital and get them done.

http://www.globalhealingcenter.com/natural-health/vitamin-d3-vs-vitamin-d2/
Here's a link describing the basic differences between D2 and D3. But the most serious problem for me is that I don't think D2 comes in a "dry" form. All I could find were gel veggie caps, which as a DS'er you will not be able to absorb. Remember, you absorb now ONLY 20-25% of the fats you intake. That means also that any fat soluble vitamins will also be excreted out by your body. You need DRY vitamins, which is basically a way to make fat soluble vits water soluble in form to allow you to absorb it. Do you see why I'm soooo frustrated by your well meaning, but tragically uninformed doctor? She doesn't have ANY idea about something as basic as your need for dry vitamins. I'm saddened but NOT surprised by this. You also need to know you can no longer take sustained release pills, because of your changed biology. Most antibiotics nowadays come in a sustained release form...you need to be sure yours is not. YOU are the one that MUST be aware of all of this, because doctors are taught to follow cookie cutter models and to treat everyone the same. You need to tell them what you need, because they simply won't know. Think of this: Of the 179,000 people having bariatric surgeries in 2013 42% were sleeves, 34% RNY's, 14% lapbands, 6% revisions from one of those, and.....1% DS's. We are 1% or 1,790 people. How many DS's will the average doctor even meet in their lives? And even those doing the cutting, are geared towards sleevers and RNY'ers because they see soooo many more of them. In time, if you apply yourself, you will know everything there is to know on this subject. I know it seems overwhelming now, but you will.

As Liz mentioned, start by taking exactly the doses and schedule suggested in her link. Then you must watch your lab results diligently, and make corrections in your vitamin regimen accordingly. We are ALL different! You will absorb differently than I and have different metabolic needs for a variety of reasons. Some posting here take little to no iron supplements, others take daily doses and still require periodic infusions to keep up. Some require zero B12, while others take shots monthly. Just do what works for you. I really am worried about you because you are manifesting symptoms of severe malnutrition. That is something you need to jump on...yesterday. You're only 4 months out so probably not too far out of whack yet, but there is a tipping point when it's difficult to restore your levels. Don't let it get to that point! Some vitamin deficiencies can result in PERMENANT damage to your body. B12 at critically low levels results in a melting away of the myelin sheath covering your nerves (which helps them to conduct electrical impulses). Once it's gone whatever damage results (from atrophy,etc)...is there forever.
Anyhoo, now's the time to get things worked out so you can proceed to the new you as smoothly as possible. Please don't be offended by anything I or others have written here. We have been through much of what you are going through now. We understand! But I felt compelled to speak out forcefully so that you would understand the gravity of your situation. The only way to truly fail your DS is by carelessness in following your supplementation regimen. There are cautionary tales posted on this site right now of folks who have died or suffered serious debilitation because of failing to take their supplements. We want you to be gushing about how wonderful your life is now that you've hit your goal weight, in the not too distant future. Not begging for help here because you went blind, lost renal function, have severe osteoporosis with multiple fractures,etc. all as a result of a silly failure to take some damn vitamins. Okey dokey?
:walk:

Thank you all for your help I have placed an order for a variety of vitamins that you guys recommended and off the vitalady site. I understand the importance and will post my new labs when I get results if you guys don't mind helping me to figure out how much to adjust by because when I read 25,000 iu vs mg etc it gets confusing on what and how much I should adjust based off the labs. My mom just go the DS done so once she does labs I will have to help her too soon.
Thank you

Some vitamins are sold in IU (international units), some MG (milligrams) and some MCG (micrograms). It doesn't matter it is just the particular unit of measure used for that specific vitamin.

Last edited:
Vitalady is having challenges keeping enough stock on hand. When I emailed Don last month, I was told a 6-8 week delay for them having all the DS vitamins in stock. I keep trying to get them through Vitalady, but I'm not willing to split shipments when it's close to $100 in shipping each time!

I'm taking Centrum Silver, Citracal and a dry D3. Labs are the week after next, and I'll build from there.

Vitalady is having challenges keeping enough stock on hand. When I emailed Don last month, I was told a 6-8 week delay for them having all the DS vitamins in stock. I keep trying to get them through Vitalady, but I'm not willing to split shipments when it's close to $100 in shipping each time!

I'm taking Centrum Silver, Citracal and a dry D3. Labs are the week after next, and I'll build from there.
How is Amazon for you in Singapore? I get virtually everything from them because with Prime I get second day delivery so if I forget to order I can get them quickly. Obviously you aren't getting 2nd day from the US where I imagine all of this stuff will come from but just wondered if it was economical for you.

Hey there I just wanted to chime in because the vitamin thing was a bit of an issue for me too
I wanted to suggest the Vitalady PREPACKAGED ds vitamins. It may take a few weeks more then normal to get (as stated they are out of stock on some stuff) but it is all prepackaged 4 doses a day all the pills you need in plastic individually. And based on your CURRENT labs you can just take out the ones you are high on and ad an extra one on ones you are low on. I found it the easiest way. And sometimes when you are running late or just dont have the energy or dare I say discipline. It is ok, you are getting what you need as a DSer. I really am thankful for these boards and the Vitalady site.

What the doctor recommends is not what we should be following. I would have been tanked so low on everything if I had listened to them and I am only 5 months out.

Latest posts

Back