Newbie DS'er 4 one month out followup

BrianChesteen

Glad to be a Loser!
I want to start the one month report to let everyone know that whatever the issue I had starting Friday of last week till yesterday appears to have worked its way out so to speak. I feel like a normal person again and hope that those issues are behind me.

Yesterday I had my 4 week followup with the surgeon's office and saw the NUT and one of the bariatric nurses.

Everything went well and I even came clean on my vitamin regimen (modified Vitalady) and believe it or not she was OK with what I was doing. She offered little resistance to me refusing to follow the surgeon's recommendation to take only his "special" multivitamins. She just compared what I was doing to the ASMBS recommendations (which I hate because for the most part they lump their recommendations all together without regard to what surgery you had). In all cases, my regimen met or exceeded the ASMBS recommendations and that is all she cared about. Obviously the Vitalady regimen goes way above the ASMBS recommendations in the vits that are not absorbed well with the DS and it appeared that the NUT was OK with that because she never mentioned it. She seemed satisfied that I was somewhat educated on vitamins and I think this helped me with my case.

I am officially cleared to progress to their Phase II diet. I can tell you however that for the past 4 days I have been on a strict water only with 2 protein shakes a day made with milk. I will advance very slowly due to the setback I had this weekend.

The nurse visit was typical. Looked at my incisions, mostly talked about the setback and what symptoms I have had and how it all progressed.

Toward the end she impressed me by going to get Dr. Boyce and bringing him in to double check everything due to my setback. (It is not normal to see him again after surgery unless you request a separate appt). He came in and went over it all. Spent about 10-15 minutes with me which was good. He wants me to check in on Friday to see how I have progressed. I am impressed with their following up with me so closely.

Weight continues to come off. Obviously it is slowing down a bit but it seems to be consistent. They told me that I am 7% above the average EWL for this time out so that made me feel good.

My wife let out some frustration last night due to me being grumpy from the lack of sleep, being in discomfort for several days and being weak from the very limited diet. She said something to the effect of "We spent all this money for you to get healthy and so far you take a pile of pills every day, have been sick and throwing up, weak with no energy and very grumpy."

I just told her to remember that I am only a month out, this is a long term solution not instant and that it will get better and more back to normal soon.

It is tough on the support person that is for sure! She has been more than amazing over the past month supporting me!

Glad they didn't give you shit about their crap vitamins! And yes, it's a trial for the support person. But she's being unrealistic to expect an improvement in health and well being in four weeks.

Glad you had a good follow up. And which nut did you see? Glad they didn't give you a hassle over Vitalady...they gave me a boatload of grief back three years ago.

As to your wife...just try and let it roll off. Being a support person IS hard...I was my dh's support for 5 weeks before he became mine. At one point, everything we did seemed ALL about HIM. Being grumpy is expected...you are dumping a shitload of hormones out of the fat you are losing back into your body and it's like PMSing. Just try to not be grumpy AT her...around her, yes, but not AT her.

Glad you had a good follow up. And which nut did you see? Glad they didn't give you a hassle over Vitalady...they gave me a boatload of grief back three years ago.

It was Krystal C.

I think what helped was that I never mentioned Vitalady, I just gave her a spreadsheet of what I was taking and the amounts.

It was Krystal C.

I think what helped was that I never mentioned Vitalady, I just gave her a spreadsheet of what I was taking and the amounts.
Krystal has had some exposure from ME (almost 3 years worth)...and I did mention it was Vitalady. Glad to see she is taking it in tho. She's also the one who hemmed and hawed over the malabsorption of fat and their recommendation of low/no fat lifestyle.

Latest posts

Back