New to Bariaric Facts

LOL! I am starting to notice that there isn't many men on here.

There are more of us than you realize. Just been busy doing other stuff and haven't had the time to spend here lately. Welcome to the forum!!! We are glad you joined us!!!

Thanks DianaCox and ElizabethN. I will check tomorrow if he has finished the preauthorization and if he has I will ask him if I can take a look at it before he sends it.
If he lets me do you have a fax # or an email to send it to you?
I really do appreciate the help.
Diana and Larra are the folks who know about insurance. The only insurance I know well is Tricare :). That's why I tagged them to your questions.

Welcome JIM!!!! It sounds like we had a similar experience. DS was listed on my surgeon's website, but when I got there he said he hasn't done one in over a year. He also gave me the big spill about how "dangerous" it was esepcially since my BMI wasn't really high enough for it. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I pushed him to do it. I had a 90 day waiting period with insurance. I went into my final appt determined and prepared. He still disagreed with me on the research, but agreed to DS me. All I can say is if you want it you have to fight for it. I live in Nashville, TN and told him I was prepared to drive to Knoxville for a different surgeon if I had to. That's when he said noooooooo....I'll do it. If you want it stick with it friend!!! It's worth the fight!

Well good luck Jim. I had approval for a revision to a sleeve and a, surgery date when I found out about the, DS. I talk to my surgeon who told me I was too small and NO WAY WOULD HE EVER GIVE ME ONE I COULD GO FIND ANOTHER DR. The people from here told me that Dr would have killed me. I called a vetted surgeon sent them all the stuff I used for approval the first time then they submitted for approval and got it. I traveled out of state, had I let that quack touch me again I Would be dead. I'd let the REAL DS DR. Submit for approval they know what needs to be covered.

Welcome JIM!!!! It sounds like we had a similar experience. DS was listed on my surgeon's website, but when I got there he said he hasn't done one in over a year. He also gave me the big spill about how "dangerous" it was esepcially since my BMI wasn't really high enough for it. BLAH BLAH BLAH. I pushed him to do it. I had a 90 day waiting period with insurance. I went into my final appt determined and prepared. He still disagreed with me on the research, but agreed to DS me. All I can say is if you want it you have to fight for it. I live in Nashville, TN and told him I was prepared to drive to Knoxville for a different surgeon if I had to. That's when he said noooooooo....I'll do it. If you want it stick with it friend!!! It's worth the fight!
I just seen your post on non surgeons. So how long of a common channel did you decide on?

Well good luck Jim. I had approval for a revision to a sleeve and a, surgery date when I found out about the, DS. I talk to my surgeon who told me I was too small and NO WAY WOULD HE EVER GIVE ME ONE I COULD GO FIND ANOTHER DR. The people from here told me that Dr would have killed me. I called a vetted surgeon sent them all the stuff I used for approval the first time then they submitted for approval and got it. I traveled out of state, had I let that quack touch me again I Would be dead. I'd let the REAL DS DR. Submit for approval they know what needs to be covered.
I know now I will have to travel out of state. I hope my insurance will agree!

I just seen your post on non surgeons. So how long of a common channel did you decide on?

There was still question the morning of how long it would be. I told him I wanted a little longer than 100cm which is his standard he usually goes with. Mine is 115cm. I'm still waiting on my post op report, but that's what he told me the next day when he came to see me. I also questioned him again at my 1 week post op and he gave me the same answer. I feel confident in him. It took me awhile to get there. It was never a question with can he do DS.....he's vetted and a great cutter....it was more of WILL he actually do it.

There was still question the morning of how long it would be. I told him I wanted a little longer than 100cm which is his standard he usually goes with. Mine is 115cm. I'm still waiting on my post op report, but that's what he told me the next day when he came to see me. I also questioned him again at my 1 week post op and he gave me the same answer. I feel confident in him. It took me awhile to get there. It was never a question with can he do DS.....he's vetted and a great cutter....it was more of WILL he actually do it.
Well it sounds like your doing great so he must have done an awesome job!

I'm doing really well and yes....he did an excellent job. He really did. He's totally taken care of me and some things he's gone above and beyond. You know what else.....he even called me the day before to make sure I really wanted DS....he thought I should just do sleeve. I told him he was crazy and I'd see him in the morning! We had a rough relationship pre-op.....now he loves me and I annoy the hell out of him on purpose because I can and because it's fun. :) We work together at the hospital....I sometimes float to the floor his patients stay on. :)

But seriously....if want a DS stick with it. Don't give up. There are so many stories here of people who've had to overcome so much to get their DS. You can do it!!!!

But seriously....if want a DS stick with it. Don't give up. There are so many stories here of people who've had to overcome so much to get their DS. You can do it!!!!
Thanks! I know this is the surgery that will work best for me! I wont give up. It may take me longer then I like but I will get there.

The life and years you can expect to live AFTER your DS makes the wait now just a blink in time. Hang in there and fight the good fight. You WILL get there! So many of us had many obstacles to trudge over to get what we knew was the best for us. It's now just a distant and blurry memory for me and I am forever grateful I didn't give up!

Hi again Jim! So glad you found your way here. Keep looking for your DS surgeon, you will get there. Don't settle!

Larra

who lived in Madison for a couple years as a child.

Latest posts

Back