New Revision here

One last question for you, have you seen many people that revised from the band to a DS... how did their losses compared to a virgin DS?
There are several on the board. I am not sure how far out all of them are from surgery, but I believe they lose or are losing well.

I am 100% convinced the biggest reason as to how much one lose or doesn't lose are the lengths of their channels compared to small bowel. I will never stop advocating for the HESS Method because it works if done properly. The cookie cutter or standard limb length DS works very well sometimes and sometimes not. I know many thing it is because of the length of the common channel but I can telly you that my common channel was longer than it should have been according to Hess and I was very malnourished. All three limb lengths are equally important and the only way to get them correct with 100% certainty is to measure the small bowel and do the Hess DS.

One last question for you, have you seen many people that revised from the band to a DS... how did their losses compared to a virgin DS?
There are several on the board. I am not sure how far out all of them are from surgery, but I believe they have lost well or are losing well.

I am 100% convinced the biggest reason as to how much one lose or doesn't lose are the lengths of their channels compared to small bowel. I will never stop advocating for the HESS Method because it works if done properly. The cookie cutter or standard limb length DS works very well sometimes and sometimes not. I know many thing it is because of the length of the common channel but I can telly you that my common channel was longer than it should have been according to Hess and I was very malnourished. All three limb lengths are equally important and the only way to get them correct with 100% certainty is to measure the small bowel and do the Hess DS.

75 CM is what the Hess Method would call for on a 700 CM Total SBL. 10% x 700 = 70 CM and they go to the closest increment of 50, 75 or 100 CM for the CC based on where 10% of SBL puts you.

The issue I take with Esquerra on these numbers that he is saying are Hess numbers is the AL (Exactly the problem I had). Because Lisa was a revision from VSG is the only reason I can see him varying from Hess numbers unless there was something else he saw that caused this action, but 205/700 is only 35% of Total SBL so I don't know why he chose that number.

Lisa and I talked yesterday and hopefully things will be okay. Like all of us, she will just need to follow her labs closely and if she sees thing dropping there are options.....unless she sees that there is an issue I see no reason to worry.
Yes sir! Very kind of you! I was in O'Hare Chicago asking every question I could think at that time. Thank you again. Now from what I read, you became severely malnourished due to the too short length, is that right? I ordered a 90 day supply of vitamins from Vitalady. I also need to contact my PCP about labs etc. I didn't see Esquerra again after the surgery was done but prior to it I asked about cc etc. I wasn't pushy or demanding just casually asked how he determines these measurements. He said he looks at all the measurements, how my sleeve looks etc. and that he would look at all that to determine my numbers. He never mentioned HESS method. This (HESS)came from my email chain with the coordinator, when I directly asked if he uses that Method. So I wonder if he really does it? I think he does his own thing 'based' off HESS maybe.

Hi Lisa it was my pleasure speaking with you. Ask away with any question you have by the way. Yes I became very malnourished and found out about a year out from surgery. By no means does that mean that you're destined to the same fate, but your AL is shorter than a traditional Hess ds. As you mentioned he very well could have seen something that led him to shortrn your AL. Forr example because your are a revision from sleeve to the DS maybe he felt you didn't need as much as absorption. I don't necessarily agree with that but he is the professional and the surgeon. Hopefully everything works out well for you and your healing well.

As of this morning, I am about 10.7 years out...I lost 124 lbs and regained 9. This varies over time, but that's as of today.

I know I've done better than some virgin DSs and not as well as others.

Latest posts

Back