New Pre-Op, makin decisions on which one

Nail Lady 707

Hi, new to this site...glad it's here....I have questions
Really want to know if anyone else wondered if they would regain. Will I do it? ... After this journey..I'm about to go thur. Why is this time going to be different. Its a battled I've fought my whole life.

Welcome. I think everyone had pre-op concerns about whether they'd regain. We've all seen that pattern in the past. WLS surgery is the best hope.

Why did you choose the RNY? That's not a preferred surgery around these parts. Wait for the experts to chime in and tell you why...

Im deciding between RNY and sleeve.. I guess I'm leaning towards the RNY...because of the long term studies...and I feel like I need something drastic to help....id like to lose the most weight I can (100+). I do know it's up to me..in the end to make different choices. I want the best tool to help with that. I need to get sick..if I eat something bad....and wondering if the sleeve will do that....and continue to do that after the honeymoon period. Which is going to help me more ..long turn.

Be forewarned: this is a rah-rah DS forum -- they made believers out of me. Have you considered a DS? The RNY is, IMO, a bit of butchery. A pylorus is very important to have -- dumping syndrome is not a slap on the wrist as some doctors say to make you compliant, it is sheer torture and some people have the syndrome regardless of what they eat. Being able to take NSAIDS is also a good thing.

Welcome! Surgery will not cure any unhealthy eating patterns, poor food choices or emotional eating. This is something you need to tackle right now. Otherwise, you will regain with any type of surgery. There are many resources online to help you to develop a more healthy eating pattern. I'm not talking about dieting, but developing healthier relationship with food.

To continue: the constriction of the sleeve helps you lose weight; the malabsorption of the switch helps you keep it off. The only "spanking" you'll get for non-compliance is bad poopers and gas.

You need to "get sick" if you eat "something bad"??

NO, what you need to do is get over the idea that YOU are bad, and that you deserve to be punished for eating food that you like. Being MO doesn't mean you're a bad person. It is not a sin or a character flaw. It's a medical condition. And foods are not evil, there are simply food choices that are better or worse than others. And if you think dumping is a weight loss tool, you are sadly mistaken. It is a very unpleasant, and in extreme cases dangerous, side effect that some (not all!) people with RNY suffer. There is no guarantee that YOU will dump, and if you do, no way to know what foods will cause dumping. Some people dump on sugars, some on fats, some on healthy foods. Some people learn exactly how much of each food will cause dumping and eat right up to that point. And people can, and do, gain weight even if they dump.

You need a totally different mindset to figure out what operation is going to work best for you. It's time to look at the statistics and consider your lifestyle and comorbidities in the equation. So here are some facts for you: the DS (yes, we like the DS around here) has the best statistics of any bariatric surgery for percentage excess weight loss, for maintaining that weight loss, and for resolution of almost all comorbidities. Are you aware that the failure rate for RNY is about 30%, and that "failure" means losing less than 50% of your excess weight? In other words, if you lose just 51% of your excess weight, you're considered a success, and the failure rate is STILL 30%. There are a lot of people who never lose more than 50 - 60% of their excess weight with RNY. Out of all the facts about RNY, the dumping, the no NSAIDs ever again, the laundry list of foods you are never supposed to eat again in your life, it was the failure rate that prevented me from having RNY.

With either DS or sleeve, you can take NSAIDs safely (in proper doses), dumping occurs rarely if ever, there are no forbidden foods, and you retain function of your pyloric valve, just with a much smaller stomach. The "switch" part of the DS creates metabolic changes that work to permanently resolve type 2 diabetes for most (again, not all) people and help with maintaining the weight loss, along with the malabsorption.

I suspect that your research thus far consists of what you heard at some surgeon's seminar. Presumably a surgeon who doesn't do the DS and didn't discuss it. You need to do some real research and learn more about all your options, not get sucked into an operation you think will work by punishing you. No one deserves to be punished for being MO.

@Nail Lady 707 I understand your desire for a consequence if you eat wrong. I had a distal RNY in 2000 boy many times a day I felt like I was going to die. I dumped of fat, sweets, carbs pretty much I dumped but I liked that I had a consequence if I did wrong. But I'm sure glad it's gone

Hi and Welcome @Nail Lady 707. I'm looking forward to learning about your journey. Please do research all options, including the DS.

I agree with the others that this is about receiving the best possible medical treatment to fix a metabolic problem that is out of the patient's control.

I'm one of the few sleevers on this site- the only surgeries I can and will advocate for are the sleeve and DS. The RNY in the long-term will net you equal benefits (+/- statistically, not much diff) to the sleeve, but with far more long & short term negatives. You want or need malabsorption to maintain? - go for the DS, don't waste your time on the other option.. with more research I'm positive you will understand why I say this.

Latest posts

Back