New here- hello 3 weeks out DS

Thanks you so much. I do and can drink water.... I have just been so focused on darn protein drinks that by the time I get all of the protein liquid in me, I don't have a lot of room for water. I'm getting about 56-74oz of fluid a day, but about 30-40 is protein drinks because I have been so paranoid about falling under 80g of protein.

As far as how Dr Marshall operates, IDK if he has changed anything, I know the consent form had a length range for the CC, AL AND BPL rather than just a specific length, but we shall see when I get my full records how it was all determines/done in me.

I am actually being transferred to NJ for work here shortly, so I am hoping I can find a good group out there to help with follow-ups -- TY for the heads up on that info, as it is good information to have . when was your surgery/ how long was it before you started really feeling we

Thanks you so much. I do and can drink water.... I have just been so focused on darn protein drinks that by the time I get all of the protein liquid in me, I don't have a lot of room for water. I'm getting about 56-74oz of fluid a day, but about 30-40 is protein drinks because I have been so paranoid about falling under 80g of protein.

As far as how Dr Marshall operates, IDK if he has changed anything, I know the consent form had a length range for the CC, AL AND BPL rather than just a specific length, but we shall see when I get my full records how it was all determines/done in me.

I am actually being transferred to NJ for work here shortly, so I am hoping I can find a good group out there to help with follow-ups -- TY for the heads up on that info, as it is good information to have . when was your surgery/ how long was it before you started really feeling weak/sick?
Good luck on your move. I am not sure where in NJ you will be but Dr Greenbaum is from that general vicinity so I am sure there is a group out there somewhere. That being said, and we are all different, I haven't been to an in person support group since my surgery. This place is my support group.

As far as when did I start feeling sick. Well, I never felt right after surgery to be honest. I had a really had time eating and drinking for the first couple months and had to go the ER a couple times in the first month. The first was to get fluids as I was dehydrated. The second was right at 3 weeks and I was planning on going back to work (half day from home for a week) but that Saturday night I went to the ER with terrible pain. Marshall though I had a marginal ulcer potentially and admitted me. Two days later they figured out it was a kidney stone and they went in to get it out and actually pushed it back into my kidney, so I got a stent for 10 days. When I started feeling really bad was right around a year when I was having bad abdominal pain after eating. Turned out that I had an internal hernia (was hospitalized for 4 days before he finally decided to do surgery). It was a week or two later that I started nearly passing out and getting so dizzy. Apparently the surgery was enough with malnutrition to kick me over the edge. That is when I was hospitalized for a week and run through coronary tests (actually released after 3 days and back a day later) and they figured out I was so severely malnourished (labs were horrid, pretty much everything but albumin and total protein were about half of lower limit of range). NOTE: Marshall was involved in none of this...apparently he wasn't consulted and I was pissed he missed this after being hospitalized for the hernia a week or two earlier so I didn't ask for him.

I started creon at that point and was basically told to wait until 24 months post surgery as my absorption should stabilize as much as it is going to at that point. It didn't improve so that is when I had the revision to extend my AL mainly, and my CC a little. BTW, Dr Keshishian fixed two hernias on me at that time, the internal hernia that marshall had repaired (Marshall did nothing wrong...once you have a hernia you are much more likely to have another) and a ventral hernia. I instantly went off the creon and my numbers didn't drop and in fact got better a bit. I was starting to feel a bit better as well. That lasted about 3 months until I popped another freaking hernia and I started feeling crappy again. So now I am in wait and get approval mode for Dr K to do what is called components separation surgery where he will fix the hernia and then do a procedure aimed as strengthening the abdominal wall in order to do as much as possible to prevent future hernias.

Like I said before, you should do fine. I have two friends with whom I worked, actually three now that I think about it, who had the DS with Marshall. Both guys are short coming in at 5'6 at the max and they have done very well. One is a year ahead of me and one a year behind. A lady who I don't know as well but know through them, is doing okay herself.

What part of Illinois do you live in and where in Jersey are you going? FYI - I am looking for a good job now since CAT laid me off with another 10,000 in October (well they all haven't hit but I was first waive). I have an MBA, 25 years of managerial experience, Six Sigma Champion Certification and PMP (project management professional) certification....so if you hear of anything good or your company needs people...I know a guy! :D

Good luck on your move. I am not sure where in NJ you will be but Dr Greenbaum is from that general vicinity so I am sure there is a group out there somewhere. That being said, and we are all different, I haven't been to an in person support group since my surgery. This place is my support group.

As far as when did I start feeling sick. Well, I never felt right after surgery to be honest. I had a really had time eating and drinking for the first couple months and had to go the ER a couple times in the first month. The first was to get fluids as I was dehydrated. The second was right at 3 weeks and I was planning on going back to work (half day from home for a week) but that Saturday night I went to the ER with terrible pain. Marshall though I had a marginal ulcer potentially and admitted me. Two days later they figured out it was a kidney stone and they went in to get it out and actually pushed it back into my kidney, so I got a stent for 10 days. When I started feeling really bad was right around a year when I was having bad abdominal pain after eating. Turned out that I had an internal hernia (was hospitalized for 4 days before he finally decided to do surgery). It was a week or two later that I started nearly passing out and getting so dizzy. Apparently the surgery was enough with malnutrition to kick me over the edge. That is when I was hospitalized for a week and run through coronary tests (actually released after 3 days and back a day later) and they figured out I was so severely malnourished (labs were horrid, pretty much everything but albumin and total protein were about half of lower limit of range). NOTE: Marshall was involved in none of this...apparently he wasn't consulted and I was pissed he missed this after being hospitalized for the hernia a week or two earlier so I didn't ask for him.

I started creon at that point and was basically told to wait until 24 months post surgery as my absorption should stabilize as much as it is going to at that point. It didn't improve so that is when I had the revision to extend my AL mainly, and my CC a little. BTW, Dr Keshishian fixed two hernias on me at that time, the internal hernia that marshall had repaired (Marshall did nothing wrong...once you have a hernia you are much more likely to have another) and a ventral hernia. I instantly went off the creon and my numbers didn't drop and in fact got better a bit. I was starting to feel a bit better as well. That lasted about 3 months until I popped another freaking hernia and I started feeling crappy again. So now I am in wait and get approval mode for Dr K to do what is called components separation surgery where he will fix the hernia and then do a procedure aimed as strengthening the abdominal wall in order to do as much as possible to prevent future hernias.

Like I said before, you should do fine. I have two friends with whom I worked, actually three now that I think about it, who had the DS with Marshall. Both guys are short coming in at 5'6 at the max and they have done very well. One is a year ahead of me and one a year behind. A lady who I don't know as well but know through them, is doing okay herself.

What part of Illinois do you live in and where in Jersey are you going? FYI - I am looking for a good job now since CAT laid me off with another 10,000 in October (well they all haven't hit but I was first waive). I have an MBA, 25 years of managerial experience, Six Sigma Champion Certification and PMP (project management professional) certification....so if you hear of anything good or your company needs people...I know a guy! :D

Wow thanks for all the details. I live in Decatur, about an 85 miles from Peoria. I work for Akorn and really love it. We have been hiring like crazy. We actually have a position open right now for a director of Manufacturing excellence (I haven't read the JD) but it should be posted on oir website...just google Akorn, inc jobs. I love it there. The best part is our insurance..all generic prescriptions are $0 copay. I was on lovenox for 10 days post op, and I paid nothing for it. It was great.

I'll be in north/central NJ. Somerset, the Midway between NYC and Philly. I'm sure I'll be fine to find a good Dr out there for follow-ups.
I'm not too worried about fining a support group-- So far my conversations on here have been better than any support groups I went to pre- op.

Ooh Director of Manufacturing Excellence would be right up my Alley so I shall have to look it up. Thanks

I almost took a job in Philly back in 2003 and would have lived in Jersey but decided to head West instead. I live in a little town of 25 miles west of Peoria.

I'm sure I'll be fine to find a good Dr out there for follow-ups.

I haven't seen my surgeon since I left the hospital and don;t expect to see him or any bariatric surgeon again. My PCP orders the DS-specific labs I request and I evaluate them based on advice I get here and adjust my vitamins and nutrients accordingly.

Latest posts

Back