New DS'er/New questions

heyclementine

1. Why do we have to chew everything until it's basically a paste-like consistency? This is starting to drive me insane. Is this a newbie thing or something I'll have to do forever?

2. Why no carbonation? I feel like I could get in so much more liquid if I could drink carbonated beverages!

3. I have narrowed down what is giving me "bathroom issues" and it's either 1. milk 2. sugar. Or it could be both. Anyone have any guesses? I'd like to avoid it! I really think it's either the milk or the sugar, but I can't tell. What typically gives DS'ers diarrhea?

4. My current vitamin regimen is as follows: (am) PPI, probiotics, 2 (Rainbow Light Prenatal One) prenatals with iron (pm) 500mg calcium citrate with d3 FOUR times a day for a total of 2000mg. Does this sound like enough for a newbie to be taking? Anything else I should throw in there?

I felt a lot better today, at 20 days out. For dinner I had about half a fillet of salmon and half a baked potato and some green beans. It was the most normal dinner I've had in weeks and I think it helped me mentally. And physically too, I'm sure. How can I even hold that much food?!

Still struggling with water intake. Thanks for your continued help as I transition into this lifestyle :)

Sounds like you are doing amazingly well!
I have heard that both milk and sugar can cause painful gas and bloating. Why don't you eliminate them both for a few days and then add one back in to see what happens?

1. Once you are cleared to eat certain foods there is no reason you should have to chew anything to a paste. I think it has more to do with how well your stomach is handling a food.

2. Carbonation causes gas and takes up valuable real estate that you should be using for protein.

3. Milk and sugar might both be causing issues. I am so far able to tolerate milk. I am 18 months post op and am just starting to have an occasional sugar treat. Sugar is pure simple carbohydrates. You should be eating very low carb right now in order to maximize your weight loss window. How much sugar are you consuming?

4. Vitamins should be added as tolerated and adjusted according to your labs. Seems okay to me for someone less than 3 weeks out.

felt a lot better today, at 20 days out. For dinner I had about half a fillet of salmon and half a baked potato and some green beans. It was the most normal dinner I've had in weeks and I think it helped me mentally. And physically too, I'm sure. How can I even hold that much food?!

Still struggling with water intake. Thanks for your continued help as I transition into this lifestyle :)

I would skip the potato and green beans in order to fit more protein. The green beans are just great for a little variety though the potato is just carbs. I would skip it till I was at goal.

Thanks for the response! To answer your questions:

I am not consuming ANY sugar. I was only guessing at the milk and sugar because the three times I've had major stomach upset were after having tomato soup (which is made with sugar) made with milk, a protein shake made with milk, and once during the liquid phase when I had a regular lemonade with sugar. I don't eat sugar at all now, and the baked potato last night was VERY rare and I was well over my goal of 30g protein for the day before I ate it. I know it's just carbs but it felt good to have a little energy last night as I've been struggling with food lately and barely getting 300 calories some days. I guess this is normal, I have no idea.

So chewing super well isn't to prevent blockages or anything, it's just to help tolerate foods? I feel like I could definitely get more protein in if I didn't have to chew until my jaw was sore.

Your tummy will let you know if you haven't chewed something well enough.
I never chewed stuff to death. I just chewed regularly like I did before surgery and never had any issues.
Just listen to your body.

1. Why do we have to chew everything until it's basically a paste-like consistency? This is starting to
drive me insane. Is this a newbie thing or something I'll have to do forever?

2. Why no carbonation? I feel like I could get in so much more liquid if I could drink carbonated beverages!

3. I have narrowed down what is giving me "bathroom issues" and it's either 1. milk 2. sugar. Or it could be both. Anyone have any guesses? I'd like to avoid it! I really think it's either the milk or the sugar, but I can't tell. What typically gives DS'ers diarrhea?

4. My current vitamin regimen is as follows: (am) PPI, probiotics, 2 (Rainbow Light Prenatal One) prenatals with iron (pm) 500mg calcium citrate with d3 FOUR times a day for a total of 2000mg. Does this sound like enough for a newbie to be taking? Anything else I should throw in there?

I felt a lot better today, at 20 days out. For dinner I had about half a fillet of salmon and half a baked potato and some green beans. It was the most normal dinner I've had in weeks and I think it helped me mentally. And physically too, I'm sure. How can I even hold that much food?!

Still struggling with water intake. Thanks for your continued help as I transition into this lifestyle

While chewing to a paste is a newbie thing, you always want to slow down, chew your food and enjoy it. But the paste consistency is a newbie thing...to let your system heal.

Carbonation is hard on new systems...would you give a newborn carbonation? I was 3 months out before I even TRIED carbonation. It was a fountain soda and good Lord Almighty, it hurt. And fountain sodas aren't as carbonated as canned/bottled. So it's not off the table forever, just wait for at least 3-4 months and go very easy at first. AND let it go almost flat the first few times.

Add your other vitamins over the next month, D, A, E, K, B's zinc, etc...you need to be taking everything on the Vitalady list by the end of month 2 until your first few sets of post op labs. Once you get post-op labs, THEN start tweaking.

Bathroom issues and your dinner.
  1. Milk has sugar in it...known as lactose.
  2. Could be both...
    I am not consuming ANY sugar. I was only guessing at the milk and sugar because the three times I've had major stomach upset were after having tomato soup (which is made with sugar) made with milk, a protein shake made with milk, and once during the liquid phase when I had a regular lemonade with sugar.
  3. Tomato soup, check your labels...many have FLOUR in them.
  4. ALL carbs turn into sugar in the body. The body doesn't care if it's cane sugar or potatoes...it is still sugar to it. The difference is how FAST it is converted.
  5. Half of a potato...completely depends on the size of the potato. My dh and I share one that is about the size of a balled up fist. WITH lots of butter, sour cream and bacon. Did you know that restaurants have a minimum size for their baked potatoes of 9 oz? And a 9 oz potato is over 44 grams of carbs.

Next time, stick to the green beans. Esp if a Southern cook and add bacon grease to them for flavoring. One cup of green beans is only 7 grams of carbs.

As to how you could eat so much...your sleeve is NOT healed yet. The nerves were cut and they have to reconnect. So you are quite possibly eating way too much for your system right now. Do what we do (if at home)...serve yourself HALF of what you think you might want to eat and then put half of THAT amount back. You can always go back for seconds. I've discovered that 90% of the time, I sit there thinking, do I want more...if I am doing that, I don't.

1. Why do we have to chew everything until it's basically a paste-like consistency? This is starting to drive me insane. Is this a newbie thing or something I'll have to do forever?

Sounds like you are doing magnificently heyclementine! Just keep hydrated...please!! As for vitamins, it's good that you're thinking about them, but at this point your stomach is still healing and I'd not be pounding it with tons of huge pills. Eventually you'll want to be taking 50,000 of dry D3 daily...which is far more than what's in those Calcium citrate tabs. I use Biotech's which is sold on Amazon.
As for soda, it's simply a matter of gas in=gas out. The difference between a DS'er and others is that because our food is digested late and only partially, our stool has a different/worse odor. Gas we release passes along this fatty stool and carries with it higher levels of methane and other stinky gases which can clear a room-literally. So there's not much sense in loading up the fart machine, unless you plan to be home alone that day. You WILL be horribly embarrassed in a public setting if you drink carbonated beverages...it's a mathematical certainty if you stay there long enough. I would also completely avoid sugar at this time, as it's food for bacteria and you are still at risk for infections. It's also just not good for you. Love your meal, but agree with others that losing the carbs might have allowed you to eat more salmon, and that protein is what you need for healing right now. At 3 weeks out ( and for 1st 3 months really)it's still all about the fluids and protein. Your vitamin stores will last months, so don't feel pressured to take horse pills just yet. Chewing like you were taught is to ease the pressure on your stomachs incision line and also to avoid over eating and vomiting. By forcing yourself to go slowly, the too full feeling won't creep up on you and the nausea/vomiting that goes with it. Trust me, you can go from feeling fine and then eating 1 more mouthful and instantly getting horribly sick and vomiting. In fact, you WILL do that at some point. We ALL do and it's the bodies way of teaching us where the line is. You are doing great! Please understand that you will have good days and bad going forward. You will be weak for at least 3-4 months, I don't care how strong you are. I had HUGE troubles taking in fluids or eating for the 1st 6 months, and didn't eat a full meal really until 8 1/2 months. Then it was like a switch was thrown, and I just could eat better. That's VERY common by the way, the whole "switch" just going on and ability to eat better sometime after 6 months. Be patient friend! I know you are aware your sweet spot for weight loss is the 1st 18 months. You can lose more after that, but your stomach will stretch back to 75% of normal around then, and so your intake of calories will increase then. Take advantage of this tough to eat phase,because it's your surgery performing it's miracle cure of your obesity problem. Stay in touch girl!
:werd:

Another thing I learned to do was to use a covered bowl for my meals. I use a handled soup bowl with a lid because it keeps the food hot...and I take too damn long to eat. Saves you from having to microwave it all 3x's during your meal. Just eat what you can...and cover it while you rest up and let your stomach empty.
:attention9ha:

Most of what I have to say repeats what you were told above: too many carbs. In addition, I would say you can try a carbonated drink, but you should NOT be drinking more than a few sips with each meal anyway - if it doesn't hurt and helps you get more protein in, there's no reason not to.

One question for you - how many calcium pills are you taking? Are you aware that a dose of 500 mg of calcium citrate is TWO pills?

Right now, a meal for you would be the salmon filet and maybe a bite of green beans. It's all about the protein. Forget carbs till you are 10% below goal. And this advice is from someone who wishes they had followed this advice because I never lost all the weight! I wish someone had told me this!

Thanks, everyone! I promise the potato was a one time thing. My normal day is spent eating meat and cheese. I had a tiny bit of roasted cauliflower with my chicken tonight. Hit close to 50 for protein today.

Diana, Yes I did know you have to take 2 to get the 500 on the calcium tabs. So I'm taking 2 tabs, 4 times (8 tabs) a day. This is what the nutritionist suggested, for now. I hope it's right. Is there an easier way? Of course my PCP said my calcium was high before I even started these so hopefully I'm not going overboard. Btw, thanks for the probiotics suggestion in another post! I started Culterelle this week and I think I may add the other brand you mentioned too and do one in the morning and one at night. Seems to be helping already.

Thanks to everyone for helping me know what's normal and what isn't. Appreciate you all. I definitely do not want to screw up my 1 year weight loss window and I think it's why I keep asking so many questions! Thanks again.

Protein first should always be your mantra and yes you don't want to do too many carbs early, however; we are all different and I believe extreme carb restricting inevitably leads to a train wreck when we fall off the train... Unless you have super human powers that I don't. Have a few bites of green beans or potatoe loaded with butter and so u r cream.... Just know that needs to be say 10% of your intake and protein 90%. Learn how to moderately eat some carbs over time. If you follow the protein guidelines (eventually 150 grams a day.... Down the line a ways not now) the weight Will come off.

DSRIGGS has had trouble with going underweight and needed help to build back up and to maintain. Most of us will never need to worry about wanting to gain weight. Tons of DS'rs never make it to goal. I am 10 to 15 pounds from goal at about 17 months post-op. Will I make goal?! I hope so.

I agree with adding some complex carbs. Protein alone and exclusively is too boring to live with on a regular basis. We need variety! It is very difficult to maintain that low carb number when sneaking it in here and there. My window is closing, I would like to lose 10 to 20 more pounds in order to accommodate a bounce back point. I haven't lost any weight in about 2 1/2 months. This concerns me. I feel I am at a great weight right now, add a few pounds and I will not be happy! I want a cushion that I won't be able to get unless I quit the carbs.

DSRIGGS has had trouble with going underweight and needed help to build back up and to maintain. Most of us will never need to worry about wanting to gain weight. Tons of DS'rs never make it to goal. I am 10 to 15 pounds from goal at about 17 months post-op. Will I make goal?! I hope so.

I agree with adding some complex carbs. Protein alone and exclusively is too boring to live with on a regular basis. We need variety! It is very difficult to maintain that low carb number when sneaking it in here and there. My window is closing, I would like to lose 10 to 20 more pounds in order to accommodate a bounce back point. I haven't lost any weight in about 2 1/2 months. This concerns me. I feel I am at a great weight right now, add a few pounds and I will not be happy! I want a cushion that I won't be able to get unless I quit the carbs.
Slight correction. It was not weight why I went on CREON. My BMI was actually in an okay range it was my health that wasn't. I spent a week in the hospital with a heart rate of 35 and an equally ridiculously low blood pressure rate. It was because I was malnourished and the very low lab levels of key elements were wreaking havoc on my health.

My low was 177, I think, and yes I have gained back to about 190 but that is a by product of nourishment and good health.. It wasn't a goal. That being said, when my absorption kicks in (through adaptation or revision) I will probably gain another 10 pounds and it will be no big deal to me personally. I believe our bodies seek equilibrium and we will be weightwise where we are meant to be.

That is just me and I know not everyone feels that way. I went into this saying if I ended up at 225 that would be okay because it was a heck of a lot better than 350...so I have a feeling I will settle in right at 200 or slightly less when all is said and done..... And that will be with eating a good deal of carbs.

Again, I am not the same as everyone else... But I do take CREON so my absorption is on par with everyone else as long as I am compliant,and I eat a lot of carbs and maintain a very healthy weight.

and believe me I appreciate the struggle some have losing as much as they want and with carbs. I am simply lucky in that regard.

As they say YMMV.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back