My Experience With The SADI and dr. Ponce

Hollykim

Hi all,
Not new to the forum but haven't been around in a while. I had VSG in 2010. Loved it and lost 118 # and have maintained the loss.
March 2013 I needed a hernia repaired. Thought since I was going to have that would just convert to the DS to lose the last 50# I couldn't budge.
Chose Dr. Ponce DeLeon and asked for a DS. When I got there,I asked about the limb lengths. He said thru an interpreter,"I am just going to plug it straight in." Should have been a clue tome,but at that time I had never even hear of the SADI.
I lost 12# despite being very well on. The DS plan,and then weight loss stopped. I decided I would
D be satisfied with that and had reconstructive surgery in Jan 2014.
I had acid reflux pre and post op VSG and it was well controlled. Late 2014, I began having what I thought was increased acid reflux as well as breakthrough all the time. Saw my gastroenterologist for an EGD and upper GI with barium swallow. He had also never heard of the SADI but knew a good bit about the DS. Iprinted ted out a diagram for him,found on. This site,thanks,guys, and when he saw how it was configured,he said " oh,it is a take off on the Bilroth II procedure" .incidentally,I believe that must be the code the surgeons I the US are using to get it covered by insurance.
When I got the results of the EGD,etc,he said I was not having acid reflux,but was having BILE reflux,as he was seeing bile staining my sleeve and intestines. He said bile reflux was a side effect of the BILROTH. He has given me Questran to take twice a day which binds up the bile and takes it out. It has been a Godsend.
I have the vitamin malabsorption,having gotten so low in iron I had to have a blood transfusion and two rounds of iron infusions. It doesn't have enough malabsorption for me however.
I have recently decided to see Dr. Ungson for a revision to. A true DS. I am very disappointed in Dr. Ponce. I know he does the DS,and I felt like he was experienced enough to do a conversion from a sleeve to a DS. It is less his skill level and more his integrity level that disappoints me.
Thankfully,I have the time and the money to have the revision.
I am very proactive with my health and there is no way it is acceptable to me not to even know what has been done to me inside.
I realize that some of the ppl who have gotten it have been pleased,but it took nearly two years for my issues to happen. Time will tell for them and for the future of the procedure.

Hi @Hollykim . I am very sorry to hear what Dr. Ponce did to you. That is just so terrible and the fact that you have to go through another surgery is just plain sad. It makes me terribly angry because a lot of people who could not afford to do what you are doing are just plain screwed. Thank you for sharing your story and maybe you will help someone from making a big mistake.

Thanks,yeah,I have thought about those who might have only one chance also. I am terribly blessed and the only reason I am able to do it again,is I received an inheritance and that is what I am using. First time, we saved money,DH sold an antique car,borrowed money from relatives.etc. second time the SADI time,we took a no interest loan from my husband boss,skis his best friend. Paid it back with the inheritance. Hopefully this will be my last time.
Welcome @Hollykim and thanks for posting your story. I'm sorry you were mislead by Dr. Ponce. That annoys me far more than those who know they are getting the SADI up front.

Sorry,these are all out of order. Either I'm having a wicked time figuring things out over here or my IPAD is tripping.
Welcome @Hollykim and thanks for posting your story. I'm sorry you were mislead by Dr. Ponce. That annoys me far more than those who know they are getting the SADI up front.

Hi and welcome! I already said more on the other thread, just wanted you to know how very glad I am to see you here.

Hi Holly Kim - seems like if they had confidence in this surgery they would be up front about it - make it clear what you are getting: as it should be.

Thanks for telling your story here. I read it "elsewhere" the other day and was highly aggravated by the new baby postop/s who were telling you what for....

FWIW, you did say one thing there with which I disagree: Ponce has NEVER been regarded as a DS surgeon. Other procedures yes, DS hell no, except by a few people who probably wouldn't know whether they got a DS or a SADI if it bit them on the nose. I'm sorry you fell prey to advertising bullshit and hope that you get things straightened out for GOOD now, with a nice smooth process.

Latest posts

Back