My abnormals...mean what exactly?

babs71958

Old, new member
RNY 3/2006; Abnormal labs from 8/19/2014:

Vit. B1, Whole Blood 235.7 HIGH nmol/L 66.5-200.0 02
Vitamin K1 <0.13 LOW ng/mL 0.28-1.78
Vitamin B12 >1999 HIGH pg/mL 211-946
PTH, Intact 18 pg/mL 15-65 -Not abnormal, but should be higher, right?
Vitamin D, 25-Hydroxy 109.0 HIGH ng/mL 30.0-100.0
Cortisol 25.4 HIGH ug/dL 2.3-19.4 01 Cortisol AM 6.2 - 19.4/ Cortisol PM 2.3 - 11.9
Alkaline Phosphatase, S 172 HIGH IU/L 39-117
Calcium, Serum 9.6 mg/dL 8.7-10.2
Protein, Total, Serum 6.6 g/dL 6.0-8.5 01
Albumin, Serum 4.1 g/dL 3.5-5.5

What supplement should be taken for the K1? I was taking K1 from Vitalady but didn't feel right when taking it.
What would cause B1 level to be so high? I guess I can cut back on B12, eh?
TYIA for any assistance.
Barb

No on the PTH question.

When your PTH is low within range and your Serum Calcium is within range (and, hopefully high within range) it means that you ARE getting enough Calcium that your Parathyroid doesn't have to go nuts robbing it from your bones and teeth.

PTH goes up when it is working hard. And if it goes WAY up, it means your body is destroying teeth and bones to keep your serum calcium high enough.

I think.

And the other stuff is better left to someone who knows.

But until they get here...are you taking a B12 supplement, maybe a B complex?

If you are taking a B complex, stop.
However, the high B12 is NOT AN ISSUE!!! Mine stays over 2000 and has for as long as I can remember (at least 20 years). Stopping the B complex (assuming you take one) will drop that (for most people) and then you will need that cushion. :)
Get on a K...if you can not handle the Vitalady one, try the Superior Source or Country Life ones she also lists on her site.
Ignore your D...it's fine.
PTH is best as close to the bottom of normal as possible...you are doing great on that.

I don't take a B complex. I take methylcobalamine B12 3-4 times a week, based on labs. I'll try another Vitamin K.
For my MVI, I take CVS chewable (equal to Centrum chewable) twice a day, Proferrin with Vit. C 500mg daily. Magnesium 1000mg AM, 500 PM, Vit. A 25,000 every other day or daily, depending on labs, as well as 50,000 units of Vit. D.
The A, D and Proferrin I get from Vitalady. The rest I get from CVS when they have their buy 1 get 1 free sales.
@Spiky Bugger and @southernlady - Thanks so much, Barb

You could go to 1-2 times a week on the B12...don't stop completely. That way you will see where you are in your next set of labs.
Just keep trying different K's but watch what is listed and do your best to match what Vitalady sells.

I'd never stop the B12 completely. In 8 yrs, it's never been this high.
What is the difference between the K1 and K2?

I'd never stop the B12 completely. In 8 yrs, it's never been this high.
What is the difference between the K1 and K2?
K1 helps with your ability to clot. It does not cause clotting but it helps your body/blood do its job properly.
K2, on the other hand, helps you use the calcium for your bones.

INR 1.0 0.8-1.2
Prothrombin Time 10.4 sec 9.1-12.0
I will check into various brands of K1.
Thanks, Southernlady.:thumbup:

I take 1 Vitamin K1 (phytonadione 1,000 mcg. = 1 mg. total) daily. (I get it from Vitalady). Not necessarily b/c of my bloods, but b/c I had a couple of nosebleeds a few years out. My DS nutrit. recommended it and I haven't had one since.

Latest posts

Back