MORE Rants re old people...

Spiky Bugger

BFF is leaving tomorrow morning. She is spending tonight at a hotel near the airport to make things easier for all of us.

At her request, we left her here for about 2.5 hours the other day while we went to the doctor. We received THREE semi-hysterical phone calls and by the time we got back, the Keurig's timer had been reprogrammed and she had made coffee in the jumbo size but had only a normal size cup, so coffee was everywhere. We had shown her how to use it.

The Apple TV (like a Roku) was de-programmed and the television could not receive either streaming OR cable tv shows. We had also shown her how to use this.

She spent the entire week trying to feed me breaded foods.

She asked for a room near the elevator at the hotel. They gave her room 3828. We got off the elevator on the 38th floor and she looked across at the other bank of elevators and saw the "38" and said, "Oh...they DID put me near the elevators!"

I had to help her use her Kindle. I had never before seen a Kindle.

She wants to buy a smart phone, even though she won't use ANY phone features other than the telephone. No texting, no camera, she won't even use the alarm clock. When I told her that she will need to pay for a data plan, she asked what a data plan is.

Her purse is in a constant state of chaos. She spends a SIGNIFICANT amount of time looking for shit in her purse. She told me that she only uses a Visa and an AmEx card. There were AT LEAST 30 credit card sized things floating around in her purse. Along with cash, just randomly thrown in there. She can NEVER find her room key...but, by god, she had the discount card from her local grocery store with her and the gasoline discount card from her local gas station, a mere 1777 miles from here. (She had no car with her. She could have left two dozen cards at home.)

At the spa, I walked into the dressing room and her purse was on a sofa, open, unattended, with HUNDREDS of dollars just kind of sliding out. I told her and she said, "oh...I was keeping an eye on it." Lacking bionic eyes, that was physically impossible.

As I mentioned in another thread, she doesn't know what meds she takes...or what OTHER drugs are contraindicated with her meds.

She walks faster than any other 75-year-old on the planet. But she doesn't know where she is going and has no idea what she is passing along the way...so she Can.Never.Get.Back.

Okay...here's the problem...I'll soon be following in her footsteps. I am sad to think about the fact that, in my circle of friends and relatives, 70 is where fairly rapid decline begins (that's three years from where I am currently standing) and by 80, everyone is in need of supervision.

Yeah...I know...not EVERY 75-year-old is half-way to Fuzzyville. But many, many are.

Boo hoo. I will now resume pouting.

Holy shit if my mother wasn't visiting you, she's been cloned. Not sure this helps, but my mom didn't get to this state till she hit her 80's, and both grandmothers were clear as a bell till 100, so there's really a range.
I'm going to go have a glass of wine, or coffee.. one of those fights dementia, but I can't remember which.

I will not go gently into that good night, but I see little bits of it happening - I'm hoping to fight against it in every way possible - wine, caffeine, amphetamines, pot, crossword puzzles - and training my kids to help me stay functional and "independent" for as long as possible.

You, my dear, have a VERY long way to go before anything like that happens.

That's my 86 year old daddy.

My mother in law is 75 this year and she is in great shape...but then again she has been very pro-active in taking vitamins, eating correctly, and doing things like puzzles, etc to keep her mind active.

I will not go gently into that good night, but I see little bits of it happening - I'm hoping to fight against it in every way possible - wine, caffeine, amphetamines, pot, crossword puzzles - and training my kids to help me stay functional and "independent" for as long as possible.

You, my dear, have a VERY long way to go before anything like that happens.
I'll send you a Thank You card...what's the zip code in Denial?

My 80 year old mother has never taken care of herself, smokes like a burning tire and drank to excess for over 40 years of her life. Mentally she is sharp, physically she is going downhill. I finally got her to at least sleep with her oxygen on but she continues to smoke and is VERY sedentary. I have to help her clean now as she has no energy and can't do certain things, like get back up from cleaning the tub. My dad is 81 and is still mentally sharp. We just try not to leave him alone because he will try to do things like he is still 40.

Save for the kids part, methinks I got an early start on this protocol. Me and my 75 year old boss have a thing with the crosswords.. not to mention the rest. :)

My mom used to say that when she was young, she was grossed out by old people who dribbled food all over when they ate or took forever counting change at the checkstand. Then was chagrined when she found herself doing the exact same thing when she aged.

I love this thread!

there is a HUGE range and I feel enormously blessed that I worked in long term care before my Mom got CJD* and I watched her go from completely independent to dead in a year and a half.

I may spout cliches and sing kubaya but the only damn thing to do is find someone to hold hands with (I haven't yet) and enjoy what you can, while you can.

we currently have a lovely demented lady at work who isn't sure why we keep making her exercise when she is supposed to be on a cruise but by gosh we enjoy her. and she is enjoying herself, as well, so there's that. yesterday she told me "I used to be tall before I got short".

on the whole I would MUCH rather end up losing my mind than be gasping for breath or in constant pain. course you don't get to choose, do you?

*Creutzfeldt-Jakob disease - her autopsy showed the "sporadic" type, meaning they have no idea how she got it ETA: she was 72 when she died; I assumed I would have her another 20 years.

Latest posts

Back