Mensa, Triple Nine…why?

Spiky Bugger

I wonder about these “clubs.”

Watched a film; one of the actors had died and his obit mentioned that he belonged to the Triple Nine organization. I looked it up. Mensa seeks members who have scored, on documented tests, in the 98th percentile or higher. But Triple Nine won’t accept all that riffraff. Their members must score at the 99.9th percentile on those same tests.

Assume for a moment that you meet that criteria:
#1–Would you even WANT to join an organization with that kind of entry criteria?
#2–What would you expect to encounter at a gathering of such a group?
#3–Do you imagine that they would want to solve any world problems, volunteer to tutor kids who have little/no academic support at home, form brilliant ideas such as this girl did (I think another girl did this earlier, but wtf) https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...s-flashlight-powered-by-the-heat-of-your-hand or maybe get water to a village. https://waterwellsforafrica.org/ or maybe teach a poor family how to grow veggies from the scraps of the last bunch of veggies? Yeah… me either.
#4–I guess I don’t see much value* in such groups. Do you?

*Well, I’m pretty sure that if I were to qualify and join one of those groups, it would be a place I could avoid some folks I’d like to avoid.

I was always told that if you think you are the smartest person in the room you should leave. You should move to a room where you could learn because nobody knows everything. I was also taught that you can learn different things from different people. I would like to think that the people in these groups try to harness that brain power to problem solve. I hope vanity is not their only reason for joining these groups. It would be amazing if they took on projects like providing water, or helping farmers improve crop production, or figuring out ways to improve the public education system.

To answer your questions I would want to join just to know what they do. I would try to convince the members to share their knowledge in some practical ways. Helping improve education and access to the underserved. If the groups were not interested in service projects I don’t see much point in being a member.

I qualify. I’ve never had any interest in joining Mensa, because who would want to hang out with people like that? People who have the interesting but oddly pointless ability to take IQ tests, who as a result think they are “better” than others.

I went to Yale, and then got a PhD and a JD. So by doing those things, I hung out with with some pretty smart people. Many of them smarter than me. I’m good at test taking, which is a useful natural ability - I’m not sure it would have been a skill that would have served me well at an earlier time in history. I enjoyed my time in those situations, but mostly because there was a concentration of interesting people - some with my odd abilities and not much else, and some with more unique and worthwhile interests and views.

But I’m more interested in people who DO interesting things, especially thing that I can’t do or wouldn’t have thought of doing. I’m more likely to learn from them and admire their skills. I like people who are funny and quirky, and I like people who are happy.

RV people who travel, for example, tend to be in search of new experiences, and have the adventurous spirit that attracts me, plus the ability to constantly deal with challenges (otherwise known as shit happening). I find that more compelling than meeting other people who can do logic puzzles.

Assume for a moment that you meet that criteria:
#1–Would you even WANT to join an organization with that kind of entry criteria?
#2–What would you expect to encounter at a gathering of such a group?
#3–Do you imagine that they would want to solve any world problems, volunteer to tutor kids who have little/no academic support at home, form brilliant ideas such as this girl did (I think another girl did this earlier, but wtf) https://www.extremetech.com/extreme...s-flashlight-powered-by-the-heat-of-your-hand or maybe get water to a village. https://waterwellsforafrica.org/ or maybe teach a poor family how to grow veggies from the scraps of the last bunch of veggies? Yeah… me either.
#4–I guess I don’t see much value* in such groups. Do you?

1. No.
  2. People who are concerned with image or are looking to network for employment purposes. Perhaps some fans of #2 pencils? ;)
  3. I would hope we all want to make the world a better place, group-joiners included.
  4. If these groups bring pleasure or build human connections, sure, could be helpful for members. They wouldn't remain in existence were it not for their members finding some value therein.

Rewarding someone who takes tests well is a time honored tradition. I have taken advantage of it many times myself. More than just a few of the opportunities I had were as a direct result of taking tests. And I can tell you for sure that being a great test taker means nothing. But we all use what we have.

Groucho Marx once said he would not join any club that would accept him as a member. Paraphrased by me because I suck at remembering quotes properly.

Great responses!

I haven’t/probably wouldn't join either organization…but for pathetic, psychologically revealing reasons. I’m a better-than-average test taker. But I’m also so freaking insecure that I’m pretty sure that while my test scores could get me in the door, once I got there, everyone could see that I’m not really all that bright and I’d be “average-shamed” (I just made that up) right back out that door. I’d be the dumbest smart person in the room and they’d all know! :hide:

I guess "it takes all kinds" but definitely have more respect for people who join groups in order to help others. there is a long history of clubs like that who also provided socialization and that sense that not anybody can get in (since some people obviously value that). Fraternal organizations, I mean.

anyway, I don't need to worry since I would never pass the test.

RV people who travel, for example, tend to be in search of new experiences, and have the adventurous spirit that attracts me, plus the ability to constantly deal with challenges (otherwise known as shit happening).
a friend of mine goes camping alone in her van and I respect the hell out of her for that reason. I hope to join the club at some level, even if it's only tent camping.
and RV if I ever won the lottery!

anyway, I don't need to worry since I would never pass the test.

I wouldn’t count on that. There are several “qualifying tests,” and my results are ALL OVER the place. My SAT scores don’t get me into Mensa, but my Army scores get me into TripleNine, which has higher requirements…AND…if you think I know anything at all…trust me when I say I don’t think either one of those scores is correct. And yours probably wouldn't be either.

I mean, I’m seldom (but not “never”) the slowest kid in the room, but 99.9th percentile? I’m smart enough to know that I’m not that smart. When you want someone THAT smart, you have to find hilary1617 and her peers.

Latest posts

Back