My conversation with Dr.K about Low BMI revision and Very LCHF diets (Crap Cycle)

DianaCox

Bad Cop
You all know I love DrK (who was not my surgeon, but I have gotten to know him professionally), but this seemed a little strange to me (from a FB DS group):

The other thing is he is suggesting a revision to shorten my common channel and tighten up my sleeve. I am not sure how I feel about this - my diabetes is back, my blood pressure is up, and I am still obese. (I got to 155 for 5 minutes in 2010, but since then average about 180). My SW was 230 (also my high weight.) I'm only 5'2" on a tall day so that works against me too. My common channel is 100 cm - he thinks that if we shorten that up the metabolic syndrome will clear up again.
But, maybe it's like when you're a surgeon you always see surgical solutions... I am aware of the LCHF and IF groups and haven't been able to commit to that lifestyle change. It just doesn't fit with my family and my needs.​

I was kind of shocked that DrK apparently had suggested this drastic surgery for this situation. So I wrote to DrK, and asked about this – in a HIPAA-compliant way, of course.

I told him that I had understood that the metabolic effect of the DS primarily came from bypassing the lower portion of the duodenum and the jejunum, and that I didn't think the length of the common channel was directly related to the metabolic effect of the DS, but more the maintenance of weight loss. I pointed out that this person weighs 180, and at 5'2", that is a BMI in the low 30s – and commented that resleeving and shortening the common channel seemed pretty drastic in order to lose at MOST about 35 lbs., especially given that the patient ADMITS that s/he isn’t restricting his/her diet and apparently doesn’t want to, and asked whether the patient would be better off trying to control his/her diet first, before recommending surgery.

These are his answers, including some follow-up questions (corrected with his permission for typos and his Armenglish, and with emphasis added (in blue)):

The metabolic effect is partly because of the duodenal and jejunal exclusion; however the long term outcome, from a metabolic perspective, is related to the weight regain, which in turn is a function of the common channel. It is also related to the amount of weight regain, in that the higher the weight regain, the higher the chance of recurrent metabolic issues years later. We also need not to forget that we all age and that plays a role into this.

I have operated on a number of patients with no weight to lose, only to resolve their diabetes and high cholesterol issues, and a patient presenting with diabetes and metabolic issues may benefit from DS. The size of the stomach, length of the alimentary and the common channels are the three variables that I can play with to minimize weight loss (if the patient does not have any or a lot of weight to lose) while maximizing the chances of the resolution of the co-morbid conditions.

With all of this said, I have never recommended revision to any patient who has just gained some weight (all patents will). We follow the NIH guidelines with respect to BMI and co-morbidities, because the risks are so high. I have, however, recommended revision for metabolic conditions if they are progressively getting worse, in patients with a BMI>35 and co-morbidities, or a BMI> 40.

On a related note, one of the problems I am concerned about is the unscientific pushing of the high fat diet that is causing a whole bunch of weight-related issues. I do not subscribe to the fat bomb diet that is being pushed by some patients, who advocate for it as if they are experts. I do recommend water, protein and everything else. On this front, if a patient presents and honestly goes over their diet history in the documentation that they present to me, then I do try to optimize the healthy diet (no carbonated drinks, no artificial sweeteners, water, protein and everything else, avoid processed food, avoid excessive fat and carbohydrates) and with those guidelines in place, if there is a reason for revision, then we might proceed; if not, the patient is asked to follow back up in some measured time for reweigh after making the proper changes – not with the expectation that their diabetes will go away (which will not) or for their hypertension to resolve (which will not), but to make sure that the problem is not being exacerbated with the crazy diet.

I will not do a revision if there are not justifiable risks based on BMI and comorbidities, and the patient is not eating a healthy diet, based on what I think should be a normal DS diet.

I also asked him how a change in a long term DSer (who already has had intestinal adaptation) from 100 cm CC to 75 or 65 would be likely to affect weight, and whether a resleeve would be necessary to actually effect some weight loss. I also asked how much experience he has had doing this, to base his answer on.

His answer:

Shortening the length of the bowel will not do as much as resizing the stomach alone – it is bound to be that both will be better. In my very limited experience with this (in my opinion), it all has to do with the lengths that were done the first time around. IF the CC and AL were just guessed and left too long, then revising them to a shorter, more aggressive Hess method will yield better results. In a patient with lower BMI, the revision should be only considered if there are co-morbidities present.

I also asked the following, with respect to the LCHF diets:

You know, the low carb, high fat diet is not “one” diet, especially with DSers. I have seen the “fat bomb” posts and they don’t look right to me – MAYBE if someone is constipated despite adding fiber and/or a dose of Colace, as a one-dose, occasional clean-out, but as a steady diet? I don’t think so.

When I discuss LCHF, I mean simply not LIMITING fat in a normal delicious diet – NOT deliberately adding huge amounts or drinking olive oil or eating a stick of butter. I’m talking about adding as much butter as reasonable (and not wasteful) to steamed veggies; dipping crab meat into butter; putting as much full fat salad dressing on one’s salad to make it yummy (but not drinking salad dressing like soup!). (BTW, I’m in Las Vegas right now, and went to a buffet last night and ate crab with butter and a slice of prime rib, and I am pooping like crazy today – I don’t need fat bombs, and I doubt most DSers do!)​

His response:

I agree with the fat position that you are suggesting- but that is not at all what is being advocated [referring to the message boards]. A patient that I have butted heads with for some time, finally admitted that after s/he stopped doing the very high fat bomb diet, not only was his/her bowel functions regulated for the better but actually weight started coming off - too much coconut oil with medium chain FA get absorbed no matter what, with no BPL juices needed. It is also important for patients to remember that it is ironic for a DS patient to have to have extra fat to have a bowel movement.

We should all go back and ask the question “why is a patient with DS, where it is scientifically proven to result in looser more frequent bowel movement (by Crooks and Anthone paper) constipated to begin with?” Maybe it is something in the extreme diet that is causing the problem? I think it is a chicken and egg thing - too much fat in the diet causes them not to absorb calcium and vitamin D, then they start overusing the calcium and they get constipated and then the cycle continues. (This mechanism of loss of calcium is well described in pancreatitis patients whose calcium drops significantly because of the increase in the undigested free fatty acids in the gut, which binds their dietary calcium and prevents absorption, which in turn causes clinically significant low calcium.)

To be clear, I don’t know what the specific issues are for the person who initially posted that suggested to DrK that a revision is appropriate in that particular person’s situation – or even that the person posted exactly what was discussed – DrK of course did not discuss that person’s situation with me, and I deliberately framed the question in more general terms. Perhaps that patient has (or plans to have, at insurance submission time) an actual BMI higher than is suggested by the post that was made (he did not recall having recently recommended revision to someone with a BMI <35).

In any case, I think this is important information for current and prospective DSers to know about, in particular the fact that SOME DSers can regain their metabolic issues along with their weight, which is a bit more common than I thought it was. And that there may be a surgical revision that is appropriate, even at a relatively low weight.

I understand that DrK has gave a webinar recently on the Crap Cycle (too much fat in the diet causes calcium and vitamin D malabsorption, then overuse of calcium and that causes constipation, so more fat added to the diet and the cycle continues) and may make it into a blog post on his website.

Bottom line:
  • Metabolic issues can come back even with the DS, more than rarely, with weight regain, and even just with aging.
  • Revision for weight loss can be necessary when metabolic issues come back.
  • Resleeving when doing a revision to shorten the CC may also be necessary, to effect more weight loss even in a lightweight, because of the need for metabolic correction.
  • Extreme LCHF diets are probably self-destructive in the long run, because it leads to the Crap Cycle.
  • Some self-appointed DS experts who espouse extreme diets who we should probably NOT be listening to (and frankly, to me, sound like eating disorders).

It varies from person to person, and at different stages - but the main thing is that DrK thinks the whole "fat bomb" approach of cramming lots of fat down one's maw is counterproductive, especially the medium chain fatty acids that can be absorbed without lipase and bile (pancreatic juices) - this will result in weight gain and possibly metabolic derangements, as well as the issues with calcium and vitamin D, resulting in needing to take more calcium resulting in more constipation.

Bottom line - eat fat relatively freely in NORMAL foods, and don't try to deliberately overeat it.

Yep sounds like what Dr K has told me when discussing diet. He is not in favor of extreme anything when it comes to diet. He believes in moderation. He has told me that with my new plumbing that I will probably need to eat less carbs than I was (I told him that I ate pretty much as much as I wanted of anything prior to lengthening my AL and slight addition to CC Absorption) and to not eat a lot of fat
.....moderation....eat anything you want but be mindful and listen to your body. Obviously lean meats and stay away from lots of sweets (a little on occasion but not a staple) is what I should eating mainly (carbs primarily veggies).

I agree completely with his position. I have never done the fat bombs, never will and don't understand the need... Especially as common practice. I am lucky that I don't need iron as I know it can bind. I believe there is a very fine balance between constipation and iron as well as calcium intake. Again being male I also think I get away with less calcium than most of you ladies, but I notice the impact if I go heavy on calcium. My calcium and pTh are great and I missed several days of calcium the last month (no vites in hospital and some days at home only took a couple or no cal citrate) so I am dropping Daily Dose to 6 pills rather than 8 daily and will monitor and adjust.

I also question the notion held by some that we should strive to be at the very top of range on every supplement lab value. I believe we are like any other person in that we should strive for middle of range and monitor. We had our guts fixed to cure metabolic and health issues but lab ranges, which are the output of our diet and supplementation actions, should be the same for us as normies. We just have to pay more attention to where our lab values are, but we don't need to go to extreme highs as it can cause other issues... Example being if we strive to be high end of ferritin and calcium then become constipated and think we need high fat everyday. Maybe in that case the person needs to back down on iron and calcium so center of range and maybe that allows better bowel function without high fat.

I'm really glad to see this discussion. I've seen posts from some pre-ops (not here - elsewhere!) being afraid of the DS because they don't want to eat tons of fat, and I've tried to explain that a high fat diet is NOT a requirement of the DS, it's just that we can eat fat in reasonable amounts (like butter on veggies, oil in cooking, etc etc) and this is ok.
Also, I agree with @DSRIGGS regarding lab values. There are some studies out there showing that there really is such a thing as too high a Vitamin D level, for example, and excess zinc can cause copper level to drop, which in turns causes non-iron deficiency anemia. I'm sure there are lots more possible examples. While we tend to worry more about levels being too low due to malabsorption, we can be harmed by too high levels, just like anyone else.

I copied the following link and some information from that site to clarify for myself where Medium Chain Triglycerides (MCTs) come from and how they end up in the diet. I am glad I did. I thought coconut oil was a good thing for me. I will now eliminate it from my diet. I have never been one to add fat however, I get plenty in my day to day eating. Now, it will just be without coconut oil.

http://www.webmd.com/www/default.htm

Medium chain triglycerides (MCTs) are partially man-made fats. The name refers to the way the carbon atoms are arranged in their chemical structure. MCTs are generally made by processing coconut and palm kernel oils in the laboratory. Usual dietary fats, by comparison, are long-chain triglycerides. People use MCTs as medicine.

MCTs are used along with usual medications for treating food absorption disorders including diarrhea, steatorrhea (fat indigestion), celiac disease, liver disease, and digestion problems due to partial surgical removal of the stomach (gastrectomy) or the intestine (short bowel syndrome).

MCTs are also used for “milky urine” (chyluria) and a rare lung condition called chylothorax. Other uses include treatment of gallbladder disease, AIDS, cystic fibrosis, Alzheimer's disease, and seizures in children.

Athletes sometimes use MCTs for nutritional support during training, as well as for decreasing body fat and increasing lean muscle mass.

MCTs are sometimes used as a source of fat in total parenteral nutrition (TPN). In TPN, all food is delivered intravenously (by IV). This type of feeding is necessary in people whose gastrointestinal (GI) tract is no longer working.

Intravenous MCTs are also given to prevent muscle breakdown in critically ill patients.

How does it work?

MCTs are a fat source for patients who cannot tolerate other types of fats. Researchers also think that these fats produce chemicals in the body that might help fight Alzheimer's disease.

I'm really glad to see this discussion. I've seen posts from some pre-ops (not here - elsewhere!) being afraid of the DS because they don't want to eat tons of fat, and I've tried to explain that a high fat diet is NOT a requirement of the DS, it's just that we can eat fat in reasonable amounts (like butter on veggies, oil in cooking, etc etc) and this is ok.
Also, I agree with @DSRIGGS regarding lab values. There are some studies out there showing that there really is such a thing as too high a Vitamin D level, for example, and excess zinc can cause copper level to drop, which in turns causes non-iron deficiency anemia. I'm sure there are lots more possible examples. While we tend to worry more about levels being too low due to malabsorption, we can be harmed by too high levels, just like anyone else.
I agree it is a GREAT TOPIC TO DISCUSS.

BTW, I was iron deficient anemic when my malnutrition was discovered. Now was it due to copper being too low or was that a side effect of extreme malnutrition because my Copper, Zinc, albumin, Total protein, A, D, K were all low as wllls o subsequently the H & H were low too? That being said it is a balance as I have had to fight to get my copper and my zinc both back into range, and as you know they can fight one another.

@DSRIGGS copper deficiency doesn't cause iron deficiency anemia. This was probably what is sometimes called anemia of chronic disease.

I have never gone to extremes. I have never done BPC or fat bombs. All I do is eat the stuff that tastes good and avoid low or frankenfat products. It's very logical to me that an extremely high fat diet would increase malabsorbtion of supplements. Anything that decreases transit time would have that effect.

If I had the money, I would do this. And they would have to PROVE to me my CC was only 75cm because I don't believe it!

There is another group out there, both normies and DSers, who are claiming great success with LCHFIF(low carb/high fat/intermittent fasting). Eventually you get to the point where you can only eat 3 or 4 hours a day. Seems to be a complex system where you use macros to figure out the fasting schedule. It would be difficult to get in enough protein if you only ate 4 hours a day but maybe that's the point. You wouldn't have time to eat anything but protein. I wish I understood the macros better and their WOE(way of eating). It seems to be very labor intensive.

I met one of the cheerleaders for IF not all that long after her DS. She was short and very middle heavy. I would have predicted she would never lose all her weight. But she did. I think she is about a size 2 now. Maybe there is some metabolic effect to IF.

I see no reason to eat LEAN meat - I'd probably choke on it. Chicken THIGHS, not breast; marbled beef; butter on everything else, but only as much as sticks to the food - I don't drink it.

IF is dieting and uncomfortable - I see no need, not even with 30 extra pounds on me - I did the DS to live normally, and my health parameters are all pretty good. She can keep her size 2s - I'll eat 6 times a day, when I'm hungry, thankyouverymuch.

All I can say is these fad bizarre diets don't pass the common sense test. IMO. I don't buy into them. My strong suspicion is that the lady lost her weight because of the DS not the crazy diet.

Moderation is almost always the key to anything in life, even after being switched.
I see no reason to eat LEAN meat - I'd probably choke on it. Chicken THIGHS, not breast; marbled beef; butter on everything else, but only as much as sticks to the food - I don't drink it.

IF is dieting and uncomfortable - I see no need, not even with 30 extra pounds on me - I did the DS to live normally, and my health parameters are all pretty good. She can keep her size 2s - I'll eat 6 times a day, when I'm hungry, thankyouverymuch.
I eat chicken breasts and thighs. Ironically I like skinless chicken breast much more now than before. I also had the surgery to live. I just don't do the bombs and intentionally seek fat. I eat what I want unless it hurts or gives diarrhea, because I need to absorb more and I know that diarrhea will not help absorption.

But yep I pretty much I eat what I want

Last edited:
I never add fat. I have very regular BM's and have only been constipated once so far. My skin is dry but I've had that issue for a few years now - my dad has it even worse so I'm assuming something genetic. I have had higher fat days and inevitably have diarrhea, so I just eat what I want in a mostly low carb way. Obviously I'm very new still so who knows what the future holds?

This is an interesting discussion and I'm glad you brought it up.

@Munchkin, there's a lot of pretty decent info out there on IF.. however, most I read suggest an "eating window" of 6-8hrs.. I think even normies struggle with the "Warrior Diet" deal of a 3 hr or less 1 mega-meal/day- if for nothing else than, damn.. that would be uncomfortable! I don't personally find IF uncomfortable or a "diet" of the fad type- I naturally seem to fall into the routine of eating after about 12-14hrs of not eating.. no hunger until then, provided I've been eating enough fat, and not overdoing the carbs. It comes down to, imo, if you are hungry- eat, if not, don't- I don't intentionally IF, but some days if you count that I don't eat until after noon- I am by default IFing.

I never knew DSers did fat-bombs, I thought that was strictly normies who were following a LCHF or keto way of eating to get in needed calories for weight maintenance..- big calorie load in a small package. Just as some suggest they have a significant metabolic derangement, needing the surgical reset of the DS, some (like me, through trial and much error) have discovered that my tolerance of carbs is not that great, and I feel and function best/don't gain/can easily lose if I adjust carbs down and fats up.. If I exceed a certain level of carbs in my diet.. I have consequences, so the macro I play with the most is fats. When I want to lose- I reduce carbs and fats a bit as needed (usually the gain is from too much carb), when I want to maintain- I up the fat. I have not personally had any need or want to do "fat bombs" or drink oil! I'm happy enough adding butter, eating chicken skin, and the crispy bits from untrimmed ribeye!

From what I can gather, most DSers by default have lowered carbs post-op.. just due to protein and fat forward diets? Please correct me if I'm wrong- I just am assuming, from what I've read- since most say- focus on protein, don't worry about fat.. and stay away from carbs from things like sugars and grains until the weight is off, then slowly test the waters from there..

Latest posts

Back