meniscus repair this week/ pain meds

Thanks everyone. I found out at my follow-up appointment that the reason this has been so painful is that arthritis has eaten away all my cartilage. When he cut the meniscus out, any buffer was taken away. He told me that the bones will have to "grind" their way to a comfortable spot and i'm looking at a knee replacement in 5-10 years. He also finally prescribed physical therapy (duh!). I started that yesterday. I am now taking Cosamin DS, which is over the counter and supposed to help repair joints. He doubled my dose of Celebrex and honestly, that's when I felt the most relief. I am now off all pain meds. I took 2 celebrex a day for about a week then took it back to once a day. I still have discomfort and I have difficulty with my range of motion causing sharp pain, but the PT will help with that. I finally feel somewhat normal again. Whew!

Gee you'd have thought that news would have come from his mouth right after surgery! Sorry things are rough but knowing why helps somewhat. Grind away!

Thanks everyone. I found out at my follow-up appointment that the reason this has been so painful is that arthritis has eaten away all my cartilage. When he cut the meniscus out, any buffer was taken away. He told me that the bones will have to "grind" their way to a comfortable spot and i'm looking at a knee replacement in 5-10 years. He also finally prescribed physical therapy (duh!). I started that yesterday. I am now taking Cosamin DS, which is over the counter and supposed to help repair joints. He doubled my dose of Celebrex and honestly, that's when I felt the most relief. I am now off all pain meds. I took 2 celebrex a day for about a week then took it back to once a day. I still have discomfort and I have difficulty with my range of motion causing sharp pain, but the PT will help with that. I finally feel somewhat normal again. Whew!

Would Synvisc or some similar "artificial padding" help? I have used it for years and it makes the click-click noise go away.

Latest posts

Back