meniscus repair this week/ pain meds

SJB41976

I went ahead and scheduled the meniscus repair on my knee this past week. The repair went as expected but my arthritis was worse than anticipated. I have not talked to the doctor, my husband did. That's all I know.

Also, my pain management has been awful. I had a horrible experience at the surgery center which isn't connected to what i feel today. They just did not manage my pain well and sent me home in agonizing pain. My husband had to carry me inside because i couldn't put weight on the knee. I have never experienced anything like that before. Usually, they get you somewhat comfortable and send you on your way.

I know they are monitoring opiates more (FDA) because of abuse, and I feel like he gave me a lower dose to work what used to be a stronger dose. I have had to take more to get a handle on the pain. I have never had to do that before. Usually pain meds do what they do...relieve pain. Is this related to having malabsorption now? I am alternating 800 mg. Ibuprofen with the Oxycotin or whatever it is. The dosage is 7.5/ 325. per pill and I can take 1-2 pills every 4-6 hours. But I am constantly uncomfortable. And if I try and decrease the amount I get back to serious pain that i have to work to get on top of. I am icing my knee several times per day.

I'm going to check with my pharmacy to see what the dosage I got from my DS surgery, then check two years ago when I had my left meniscus repaired and see if the dosage is lower. It doesn't matter, I guess, except I'm worried that I will run out before I am healed enough and don't need them anymore. I will be calling the doctor tomorrow.

Thanks for any input. Do we malabsorb pain meds differently now??? HELP!

We generally absorb most meds well unless they are "extended release" type stuff. One suggestion would be to see if your doc will prescribe Toradol for you in place of the Ibuprofen. You don't want to take both because they are both NSAIDs and that would be too much of a good thing, but Toradol seems to work much better for some people than other NSAIDs. It can be given IV or orally. Costs more than some other NSAIDs so it's not first line, but IMHO it's a very good drug.

Only reason I absorbed "differently" was I had developed a sensitivity to pain meds (other than ibuprofen). A sensitivity that borders on an actual allergy. So I would stop them far sooner than I might have 10 years ago.

I had meniscus surgery on both knees at the same time a few years ago. For me, the procedure and recovery were far easier than expected. I was able to WALK after surgery. I never used crutches or a walker. The most important things will be for you to put your leg up to rest, ice your knee using a bag of frozen peas (trust me -- it is better than ice) and to do your PT exercises. It took several months for me to be able to be completely pain-free, but it was more like mild aches and pains that come and go. You will not be able to go running or walk for miles until completely healed and the aches are gone.

That said, I do not have arthritis and I believe the recovery could be more if there is significant arthritis in the joints. I cannot address the pain meds though.

Sorry you are having so much pain. However, you will be so happy once this is done and you can walk without pain!!!

(Edited because I thought you were pre-surgery; some sentences were changed)

Hi, local elderly junkie checking in...

If it's 7.5/325, I'd bet on it being Hydrocodone, aka Norco or Vicodin. My prescription is for four of the 10/325 strength per day, max. (Before anyone reports me to the Feds, my last Rx for 120 tablets...30 days, 4 per day...lasted from mid-June through early November, with about 20 tabs still in the bottle. So I'm not abusing them...)

HOWEVER, I have to tell you that when too many health professionals are "protecting" me, I have to set up my own dosage schedule, as follows: I break the tablet in two and take HALF of the prescribed amount at intervals of two hours. For me, it is less of a pain roller coaster ride. (Vicodin relief starts to fade for me at the three hour mark...and then it takes another 45-60 minutes for the next dose to work. So, at four hour intervals, I still have significant pain for an hour or two following the prescribed dosage schedule. And, my way, I'm less likely to nod off.)

So, instead of 1-2 tabs every 4-6 hours, see if you can live with one tablet every 2-3 hours.

And titrate yourself down as soon as you can.

Glad your meniscus has been repaired and hope it mends quickly - sorry to hear your pain is not being adequately controlled.

Please do make sure if you are prone to constipation with painkillers as some of us are, that you take a stool softener or extra magnesium to keep things going smoothly.

Hang in there!

This is happening to me right now too. I had a plate put in my wrist on 10/31 and have only been given one refill it ran out on Friday and when I asked for another refil was told you just refilled its to soon. And mind you hat was not from the dr but his pa. I have been taking them as prescribed. So Monday will will call again. I hate being made to feel like a drug addict.

This is happening to me right now too. I had a plate put in my wrist on 10/31 and have only been given one refill it ran out on Friday and when I asked for another refil was told you just refilled its to soon. And mind you hat was not from the dr but his pa. I have been taking them as prescribed. So Monday will will call again. I hate being made to feel like a drug addict.
This is why I think medicinal marijuana is so important. I have no desire to smoke weed but there is pill form and edible forms as well and they have specific strains that work best for specific ailments, from what I am told. I have taken 2 - 10/325 Norcos at bedtime for 3 months now because if not my shoulders hurt too much and keep me up. My PCP wrote the script for 1-2 every 6 hours that way I have enough to last a month for sure. I could actually ask for a new script every few weeks but I don't need that much. In any case most Docs do treat you like an addict if you truly need the stuff. One 10 mg Norco does absolutely nothing for me. That being said, I hate taking the shit because of its addictive potential and now with my liver it can cause further damage ....so that is why I am on the trail for MM.

When people are in pain they need to be given something to handle the pain and the Dr should have a history with the patient to know if they should be so restrictive. A patient like me who has been on NORCO for probably 5 months now at night only, other than during my surgery periods so during day for maybe a week, I would not hold it against a Dr for asking if I really need them and looking into it....but for somebody like you who just had a wrist surgery and no history of chronic opiate use , the PA is wrong for doing that to you.

We generally absorb most meds well unless they are "extended release" type stuff. One suggestion would be to see if your doc will prescribe Toradol for you in place of the Ibuprofen. You don't want to take both because they are both NSAIDs and that would be too much of a good thing, but Toradol seems to work much better for some people than other NSAIDs. It can be given IV or orally. Costs more than some other NSAIDs so it's not first line, but IMHO it's a very good drug.
They gave me Toradol in the ER when I went for my first kidney stone. It was better than anything else. I've heard that the injections are more effective than the oral form. I also didn't know about the cost. I asked for it on another kidney visit, but they gave me opiates. Cheaper sounds like a good reason for the provider to control drug costs. The next time I'll be more assertive.

The script is Norco. I was taking 800 mg ibuprofen in-between but my stomach can't handle that anymore. Even with extra Zantac. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow to see if there is another prescription anti-inflammatory that I can take, besides Celebrex right now, I'm afraid it's not strong enough. I'm hoping to get more pain meds to carry me through to my first appointment on Thursday (I have never, ever needed to use up all my pain meds, for any procedure, that's why this has me stumped). And I'm going to ask to start PT, he initially didn't prescribe it, but I need direction on how to move. Right now I am in so much pain that I am resistant to move. Not sure what I can do/should do.

Very aggravating. Thanks for the responses.

Right now I am in so much pain that I am resistant to move. Not sure what I can do/should do.
And that is making it even harder. I'm not sure what to tell you for the meniscus but I do know that my body locks up from my arthritis if I don't keep moving often. Even if it's just walking to the bathroom and back.

I've had my meniscus scoped three times. Once recovery was a piece of cake, the other two times, it hurt like hell. Hang in there, it will get better.

Beth

Docs don't know how to manage pain. You might need a pain management clinic if it is this out of control. When I left the hospital, believe it or not, an extra strength gelcap Tylenol had an effect. The gels seem better than the solid tablet, maybe they are better absorbed. You might try it between doses of the better stuff. I loved Aleve, but wasn't allowed to take it because it interferes with healing. If the pain goes on, get a second opinion from another orthopedic surgeon with a new MRI. Something may have been unrepaired or inadequately repaired. So sorry you are in pain and hope it's over soon!

The script is Norco. I was taking 800 mg ibuprofen in-between but my stomach can't handle that anymore. Even with extra Zantac. I'm calling the doctor tomorrow to see if there is another prescription anti-inflammatory that I can take, besides Celebrex right now, I'm afraid it's not strong enough. I'm hoping to get more pain meds to carry me through to my first appointment on Thursday (I have never, ever needed to use up all my pain meds, for any procedure, that's why this has me stumped). And I'm going to ask to start PT, he initially didn't prescribe it, but I need direction on how to move. Right now I am in so much pain that I am resistant to move. Not sure what I can do/should do.

Very aggravating. Thanks for the responses.
Hope you are feeling better and healing well.

Latest posts

Back