Medicare changes. Oh please let this be a good thing.

OK, I opened this link yesterday and then - work happened (that's a good thing - I have been very light on work and I get paid by the hour).

The Obama administration outlined ambitious new goals Monday to transform over the next four years the way that the gargantuan Medicare program pays doctors and hospitals, rewarding providers that achieve better outcomes for patients rather than those that just do more.

The move away from so-called fee-for-service medicine is a central, if little recognized, goal of the Affordable Care Act, which the president signed five years ago.

Most experts believe that this shift is crucial to improving the quality of care that patients receive, while also restraining costs at a time when millions of baby boomers will be entering the nation's primary insurance program for the elderly.

I'm not exactly sure - maybe @Larra can help? I THINK it means that the ACA is doing a slight stealth indoctrination and gradual conversion to a more effective way of reimbursing doctors directly, and rewarding them for the quality of their work, instead of by number of procedures performed. I think it is a baby step towards capitation as a means of payment to doctors, more like an HMO model, where the doctors don't have to "make their numbers" at least in the way of bumping up their charges.

I don't know that it is anything that is going to affect patients any time soon, though.

@Barb1 it's a good question and I don't know the answer. On the one hand, it seems to emphasize good results, which is good. On the other hand it takes away the motivation to work with sicker patients, who are not as likely to get good results no matter how good the care provided, and I can think of other issues as well. I think the results will depend on the details, and there could be both positives and negatives. I also think there will be resistance from the medical community. We shall see.

Thanks for the input @DianaCox and @Larra I read it several times and still didn't quite understand what it meant. I am really hoping it will be a good thing for the doctors and the patients. I turn 65 in about 15 months and I am so hoping all my blood work will be covered. I also hope that in the future a family member would be offered financial help to children or other family members who are willing to take care of their elderly parents instead of putting them in a nursing home. My mom lived with us from 2002 -2007. Out of her SS she gave us $500.00 ( I quite a full time job with benefits to keep her out of the nursing home) a month but she had nothing left after her health insurance prescription's depends and any other supplies. We occasionally called in a place called Care Givers to let me get out of the house once or twice a month. They would stay a few hours, bathed her, feed her lunch and cleaned her room. It cost us about 65.00 for 3 hours. I hate getting older. I now find myself wondering a lot what the future will hold. Is there anyone else out there that find themselves wondering about their golden years?

I hate getting older. I now find myself wondering a lot what the future will hold. Is there anyone else out there that find themselves wondering about their golden years?

@Barb1....yeah, there's not too much to wonder about other than where to get all the $$$$ you will need, though I have finally figured out why its called your "golden years".....Because your going to need a lot of "Gold" to survive!

Last edited:
I turn 65 in about 15 months and I am so hoping all my blood work will be covered.
Okay, I am already on Medicare thanks to SSDI. I get a Medicare Advantage PPO because it allows me the most flexibility at 60.

Right now there is standard Medicare (A/B) which pays MOST of your medical but leaves you with 20% of the balance. Medicare D is the prescription part of the mix.
Then you have Medicare C...the "bundled" aka Advantage plans administered thru insurance companies (for a fee). There are several types there:
Medicare Advantage without Plan D bundled into it.
Medicare Advantage with Plan D bundled into it.
These are further broken down into HMO's, PPO's, and PFFS. The last is the Private Fee For Service and the most difficult to navigate.
HMO's and PPO's function similar to the do in all insurance.

Then you have Medicare Supplements also known as Medigap, Plan A thru something...and they are also cover the extra 20% that Medicare doesn't cover. Plan F is the most comprehensive and covers the MOST but is also the most expensive.

The difference between Medicare Advantage and Medicare Supplements is:
Advantage plans are limited in where they are accepted. Or where they can be used.
Supplement plans are accepted by ANY doctor/medical facility that accepts Medicare.

An example that I ran into:
I used BCBSTN when we lived in TN and had no problems. Moved to within walking distance of SC but our physical address is NC. That year we could swap mid year cause we moved. So we went with BCBSNC (BIG FAT mistake). As mentioned, we live within walking distance of SC...and there is an excellent PCP in SC (5 min drive) but BCBSNC considered him OUT of network just because he worked in a different state. Our second best option IN NC was 45 mins away. So during open enrollment in 2013 we looked around. Decided on Humana, it's a regional PPO BUT it's based on a certain radius around your zip code (state lines do not apply). Because MOST of the medical within a 30 miles radius to us is in SC, it made far more sense.

Then you have the cost issue.
You have a fixed cost for Medicare B and a deductible, this year:

Medicare 2015 costs at a glance
2015 Costs at a Glance[/B]
Part B premium Most people pay $104.90 each month.
Part B deductible $147 per year.
Part A premium Most people don't pay a monthly premium for Part A. If you buy Part A, you'll pay up to $407 each month.
Part A hospital inpatient deductible
You pay:

• $1,260 deductible for each benefit period
  • Days 1-60: $0 coinsurance for each benefit period
  • Days 61-90: $315 coinsurance per day of each benefit period
  • Days 91 and beyond: $630 coinsurance per each "lifetime reserve day" after day 90 for each benefit period (up to 60 days over your lifetime)
  • Beyond lifetime reserve days: all costs
Part C premium The Part C monthly The periodic payment to Medicare, an insurance company, or a health care plan for health or prescription drug coverage.

">premium varies by plan.
Part D premium The Part D monthly The periodic payment to Medicare, an insurance company, or a health care plan for health or prescription drug coverage.

">premium varies by plan (higher-income consumers may pay more).
You see the Part C premium varies by plan? It ALSO varies by state. The same level plan with BCBSTN cost me about $30 a month on top of my part B costs. Moved to NC, it went to $121 per month for the same level plan with fewer options.

We also had PFFS options here in NC that we didn't in TN.
This part is what BOTHERED me:
http://www.medicare.gov/sign-up-cha...tage-plans/private-fee-for-service-plans.html
Show your plan membership ID card each time you visit a health care provider. Your provider can choose at every visit whether to accept your plan’s terms and conditions of payment.

That is why we avoided the PFFS. And since we LIKE PPO's, we opted for the PPO. Since Jan 2014, we've been on Humana...no issue using the PCP 5 mins away. He is IN network for me.

Medicare Supplements (esp Plan F) are ideal ONCE you are 65 to 70, but before 65 and after 70, they get pretty expensive.

Holy crap @southernlady - I'm going to hire you to review my plans when I get there in 3.5 years.

What happens when my husband (20 months older than me) hits 65? Does he stay on my small group insurance plan, or do we end up having different docs until I "age out" of my plan?

Holy crap @southernlady - I'm going to hire you to review my plans when I get there in 3.5 years.

What happens when my husband (20 months older than me) hits 65? Does he stay on my small group insurance plan, or do we end up having different docs until I "age out" of my plan?
He will get to stay on your plan BUT will also need to have Medicare. (And even if he doesn't WANT to use B or D, he needs to accept them cause he can't later on) BUT and this is a BIG one, STATE law gets involved as well...so once you have a good idea what you want, getting someone who is LICENSED in CA is going to be a big help.

For Medicare Supplements (Plans A, B, C, D, F Reg, F HD, G, K, L, M, and N) , there is the Birthday Rule:
What Is The Medicare Supplement”Birthday Rule?
The thirty day period following your birthday is open enrollment each year. If you have signed up for Medicare, then you can purchase Medicare Supplement policies without having to be subject to new medical reviews or waiting on an approval period. The new Medigap policies may offer the same coverage as your old Medicare Supplement policy. The new Medigap coverage may also offered reduced benefits. This helps you decided whether you have enough to too much coverage. Your decision here can either increase or decrease your monthly premiums.

Why Is the “Birthday Rule” Important?
If you are like most seniors, you will purchase your Medicare Supplement policy at the same time you apply for your Medicare benefits during the initial Medicare Open Enrollment period. Purchasing Medicare Part B is a requirement before you can sign up for any Medicare Supplement policies. The “Birthday Rule” allows you to easily change Medicare supplemental plans annually without going through the hassle of a new medical review of your current health care status. You find a Medigap plans than really meets your current needs or reduces our monthly cost, then using the “Birthday Rule”, you can easily switch plans. You can do this every year during this thirty day period following your birthday.

And this is how it works in real life:
I've been on SSDI (since 1998) and as a result, Medicare since 2000. While dh was working and had insurance coverage, I was also on his plan. Go to a doctor, his plan paid first and Medicare paid their portion of the rest. And doctor/hospitals were a REAL PITA!!! I would give them both cards and tell them Medicare was secondary...99 times out of 100, someone in the food chain in the billing dept would be stupid and file Medicare as primary and of course Medicare wouldn't pay til the other was filed and they usually didn't file secondary until after the primary paid. IF they filed it with his insurance first, they paid, the remainder was filed with Medicare, they paid their part, and THEN I had my copay or deductible..

Then in 2009, he was retired (even tho on COBRA) and it immediately flipflopped. My Medicare became primary and his Cobra was secondary. Thank goodness I had gone on a Advantage plan in 2009 because my Advantage plan paid 100% of my DS...and unfortunately I did not qualify under his COBRA policy rules. (His policy required 5 years of being at least a 35 or above BMI and I had floated between a 33 and a 36 many of those years. I didn't have 5 solid years).

Oh, and there is NO such animal as a family plan with Medicare...you each have your own policy.
A FEW medicare advantage plans have dental but their dental plans are very basic and suck pond water. Dh and I pay for a private policy for Dental (this year Delta Dental) Vision is covered but nothing like a good vision plan is typically.

When he gets within 3 months of 65, he needs to start looking. Best place to see basics is at Medicare.gov, type in your zip code and it will give some details. I take so little in prescription meds now that I don't worry over that step. To be honest, I have navigated most of this over the years without an agent. Agents tend to want to sell just the products that make them the most money and TBH, the pay to an agent for a Medicare/Medicap policy is so miniscule, it's laughable.

The thing is...the rules ARE changing so who knows where they will be by the time y'all get there.

Now just when you thought you could make sense of all of this, if you happen to choose either a Medicare Advantage plan that does NOT offer prescription drug coverage and "you don't have Part D or other creditable prescription drug coverage", there is something called the Part D late enrollment penalty.

http://www.medicare.gov/part-d/costs/penalty/part-d-late-enrollment-penalty.html

"The late enrollment penalty is calculated by multiplying 1% of the "national base beneficiary premium" ($33.13 in 2015) times the number of full, uncovered months you were eligible but didn't join a Medicare Prescription Drug Plan and went without other creditable prescription drug coverage. The final amount is rounded to the nearest $.10 and added to your monthly premium."
Is your head spinning yet???

Last edited:
@southernlady I am totally in awe of you now! You have joined the rank with Larra and Diana in the insurance department. My dh is already on Medicare. We didn't have any extra money for insurance so in the process of trying to read and understand all the information sent to a person in the six months before his 65th birthday was absolutely mind blowing! I went with the Medicare booklet that ranks the different companies. I also talked with a advisor which I really didn't find all that helpful. Essence HMO was ranked the highest at 5 and there was no extra charge for the prescription drugs.
My dh has only had it for six months so I can't really tell you to much. We have paid nothing for his doctor visit or any blood work or tests. So for everything was paid at 100% because it has been considered preventive care. He has heart disease, high cholesterol, and diabetes. So far his prescription's have been between $4-$40. They said he shouldn't hit the donut hole unless more drugs are added. I guess only time will tell whether I made a mistake or not.
. Thanks Liz.

@Cbramsey My head started spinning when I hit 60 and it seems to get worse by the day! In the last 8 months I have learned more about insurance than my brain can possibly retain. One of the main reasons I picked the Essence HMO was because we didn't have to have a separate insurance that covered the drugs!

@southernlady I am totally in awe of you now! You have joined the rank with Larra and Diana in the insurance department.

Yup, for sure, I was thinking exactly that too! We're all in deep shit when this is so GD complicated it has these 3 ladies heads a spinnin! WTF do normal people do!

Latest posts

Back