Me again. Sorry. Identity Theft. Again.

Spiky Bugger

Got a letter from a bank telling us we needed to provide more info if we wanted that credit card we had applied for.

Contacted their fraud department and learned that the person applying had MrSue’s full name, DOB, address, phone and SS#. The bank denied the card…but, if I recall from the LAST time this happened to him, we have to file a police report…and THEY are thrilled taking reports showing that nothing with any cash value was stolen… to get his credit info at the credit bureaus frozen.

It is a royal PITA.

damn, I'm sorry you have this crap to take care of but it's a good thing the bank did want more info!

how likely is identify theft, anyway? is it just luck it hasn't happened to me yet?

damn, I'm sorry you have this crap to take care of but it's a good thing the bank did want more info!

how likely is identify theft, anyway? is it just luck it hasn't happened to me yet?
To enhance your luck, you can order “Fraud Alert” service, for free. Anytime your credit is checked, you receive a cell phone notice, so you can stop it before too much damage is caused.

At least it was caught before it was issued!

…and before it was tried at too many places...because then you have to make sure all those inquiries are removed from all your credit files.

I’m golden (at least for the moment), but he still has some work to do.

So sorry to hear that. I had a card compromised, not full on ID theft. Somebody bought three Sam's Club memberships. Yet, somehow, my card issuer didn't catch it. I've often wondered what these people could come up with if they dedicated their time and efforts towards a cure for cancer or some problem instead of trying to cheat people.

So sorry to hear that. I had a card compromised, not full on ID theft. Somebody bought three Sam's Club memberships. Yet, somehow, my card issuer didn't catch it. I've often wondered what these people could come up with if they dedicated their time and efforts towards a cure for cancer or some problem instead of trying to cheat people.

You had more of a loss than we did. Our bad guys applied for a Build.com credit card, issued by Comenity Capital Bank, and their fraud people caught it.

It’s just that these folks seldom try only once. So we don’t know, yet, if other cards were applied for and actually issued.

Yes, their efforts. We have a local woman whose image is captured SEVERAL TIMES A WEEK, wandering through yards, looking in cars and mailboxes and helping herself to whatever she thinks she wants at one house, opening the box as she walks and dumping it at the next house on her route. Sometimes, she climbs over fences and meets up with her boyfriend who is waiting in his car. Night after night.

Spiky Bugger We live on a cul-de-sac with three out of the four residents are usually home all day. That's the good part. The bad part is that our development is quite a distance away from the city. We're close to new exit on the Interstate. It's reasonable to figure out that by the cops get here, the criminals are long gone.
As for my credit card mess, when I called to report the fraud, I was told that the account had been frozen due to some hinky looking charges, but somehow three charges for $45.00 on the same day to Sam's club weren't caught. And they were talking to me about how great they were to have caught those hinky charges, but the Sam's club charges went unnoticed! It all ended well, but I was scratching my head.
The funniest fraudulent charge in the past was for a membership to a singles fitness club. I've been married for 45 years and wouldn't join a fitness club my life depended on it.

Last edited:
To enhance your luck, you can order “Fraud Alert” service, for free. Anytime your credit is checked, you receive a cell phone notice, so you can stop it before too much damage is caused.

OK, I should do that - order it from who?

I think that's a really good question.

I'm sure there are just people who are bad or lazy, but also some people who don't feel like they have a legitimate way to make a decent living. like, get an education without going into debt, get a job that pays enough to have decent housing, and health insurance that actually covers you so no matter what you don't end up bankrupt due to health problems or injury.

I have been answering roommate wanted ads again and perhaps I am feeling a little bitter. one was in Hood River, about 30 minutes from here on the freeway, and was $600 - the "room" was a camper in the garage and you come in to share the bathroom and kitchen. so the $600 did not include utilities. :rolleyes:

Along with keeping an eye on your identity, keep an eye on your checking account. If the thief keeps it below $50.00 each transaction, it typically will not trigger an alert on your account.

good info, thank you Liz

Latest posts

Back