Anthem Hacked, Millions Of Records Likely Stolen

southernlady

Administrator
Staff member
http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2015/02/04/health-insurer-anthem-hit_n_6618478.html

By Supriya Kurane and Jim Finkle

Feb 4 (Reuters) - Health insurer Anthem Inc, which has nearly 40 million U.S. customers, said late on Wednesday that hackers had breached one of its IT systems and stolen personal information relating to current and former consumers and employees.

The No. 2 health insurer in the United States said the breach did not appear to involve medical information or financial details such as credit card or bank account numbers.

The information accessed during the "very sophisticated attack" did include names, birthdays, social security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data, the company said.

Anthem said that it immediately made every effort to close the security vulnerability and reported the attack to the FBI. Cybersecurity firm FireEye Inc said it had been hired to help Anthem investigate the attack.

The company did not say how many customers and staff were affected, but the Wall Street Journal earlier reported it was suspected that records of tens of millions of people had been taken, which would likely make it the largest data breach involving a U.S. health insurer.

Anthem had 37.5 million medical members as of the end of December.

"This attack is another reminder of the persistent threats we face, and the need for Congress to take aggressive action to remove legal barriers for sharing cyber threat information," U.S. Rep. Michael McCaul, a Republican from Texas and chairman of the Committee on Homeland Security, said in a statement late Wednesday.

The FBI had warned last August that healthcare industry companies were being targeted by hackers, publicizing the issue following an attack on U.S. hospital group Community Health Systems Inc that resulted in the theft of millions of patient records.

Medical identity theft is often not immediately identified by patients or their provider, giving criminals years to milk such credentials. That makes medical data more valuable than credit cards, which tend to be quickly canceled by banks once fraud is detected.

Security experts say cyber criminals are increasingly targeting the $3 trillion U.S. healthcare industry, which has many companies still reliant on aging computer systems that do not use the latest security features.

Anthem said it would send a letter and email to everyone whose information was stored in the hacked database. It also set up an informational website, www.anthemfacts.com, and will offer to provide a credit-monitoring service. (Reporting by Supriya Kurane in Bengaluru, Jim Finkle in Boston and Deena Beasley in Los Angeles; Editing by Ken Wills and Alex Richardson)

To Our Members:

Safeguarding your personal, financial and medical information is one of our top priorities, and because of that, we have state-of-the-art information security systems to protect your data. However, despite our efforts, Anthem Blue Cross Blue Shield was the target of a very sophisticated external cyber attack. These attackers gained unauthorized access to Anthem’s IT system and have obtained personal information from our current and former members such as their names, birthdays, medical IDs/social security numbers, street addresses, email addresses and employment information, including income data. Based on what we know now, there is no evidence that credit card or medical information (such as claims, test results or diagnostic codes) were targeted or compromised.

Once the attack was discovered, Anthem immediately made every effort to close the security vulnerability, contacted the FBI and began fully cooperating with their investigation. Anthem has also retained Mandiant, one of the world’s leading cybersecurity firms, to evaluate our systems and identify solutions based on the evolving landscape.

Anthem’s own associates’ personal information – including my own – was accessed during this security breach. We join you in your concern and frustration, and I assure you that we are working around the clock to do everything we can to further secure your data.

Anthem will individually notify current and former members whose information has been accessed. We will provide credit monitoring and identity protection services free of charge so that those who have been affected can have peace of mind. We have created a dedicated website - Anthemfacts.com where members can access information such as frequent questions and answers. As we learn more, we will continually update this website and share that information with you. We have also established a dedicated toll-free number that both current and former members can call if they have questions related to this incident. That number is: 1-877

I want to personally apologize to each of you for what has happened, as I know you expect us to protect your information. We will continue to do everything in our power to make our systems and security processes better and more secure, and hope that we can earn back your trust and confidence in Anthem.

Sincerely,

Joseph Swedish
President and CEO
Anthem, Inc.

Edit to remove links

My information has been hacked at so many places so far. I think the only new stuff they got was income info and that I actually have insurance.

I'm still attempting to recover financially after being unable to work for two years. Anyone decides to use that info, they'll come to my house and beat the crap out of me for wasting their time ;)

I would think them hacking me could only improve my scores ;) They are going to have to figure something out cuz this stuff seems to be constant.

The head of the company states his information was also hacked. They said Anthem is also Blue Cross Blue Shield in certain portions in the country. .

The head of the company states his information was also hacked. They said Anthem is also Blue Cross Blue Shield in certain portions in the country. .
Anthem IS a Blue Cross/Blue Shield company. BUT not all BCBS are Anthem. The Blue Cross Blue Shield Association (BCBSA) is a federation of 37 separate United States health insurance organizations and companies, providing health insurance to over 100 million Americans.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Blue_Cross_Blue_Shield_Association

Member companies
Publicly traded companies

• Anthem Inc
    • Anthem BlueCross BlueShield
      • Colorado
      • Connecticut
      • Indiana
      • Kentucky
      • Maine
      • Missouri
      • Nevada
      • New Hampshire
      • Ohio
      • Parts of Virginia
      • Wisconsin
    • Anthem Blue Cross
      • California
    • BlueCross BlueShield of Georgia
    • Empire BlueCross and BlueShield (New York)
  • Triple-S Management Corporation (BlueCross & BlueShield Puerto Rico)
Multi-state private companies

• CareFirst
    • District of Columbia
    • Maryland
    • Parts of Virginia
  • Health Care Service Corporation
    • BlueCross BlueShield of Illinois
    • BlueShield of New Mexico
    • Blue Cross Blue Shield of Montana
    • BlueCross BlueShield of Oklahoma
    • BlueCross BlueShield of Texas
  • Highmark
    • Highmark BlueCross BlueShield (Western Pennsylvania)
    • Highmark BlueShield (Northeastern, Eastern & Central Pennsylvania)
    • Highmark BlueCross Blue Shield Delaware (Delaware)
    • Highmark BlueCross BlueShield West Virginia (West Virginia)
  • Premera
    • Premera BlueCross BlueShield of Alaska
    • Premera BlueCross (Washington)
  • Cambia Health Solutions
    • Regence BlueShield of Idaho
    • Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Oregon
    • Regence BlueCross BlueShield of Utah
    • Regence BlueShield (Washington)
  • Wellmark Blue Cross Blue Shield
    • Iowa
    • South Dakota

Single-state or regional companies

Companies outside of the United States

• BlueCross BlueShield of Panama
  • BlueCross BlueShield of Uruguay

My information has been hacked at so many places so far. I think the only new stuff they got was income info and that I actually have insurance.

I'm still attempting to recover financially after being unable to work for two years. Anyone decides to use that info, they'll come to my house and beat the crap out of me for wasting their time ;)

I would think them hacking me could only improve my scores ;) They are going to have to figure something out cuz this stuff seems to be constant.

No...they have your social security number....the Key to the Kingdom. That's what they are looking for when they go phishing. Now they have 80,000,000 SS numbers. And 80,000,000 of us are PHUCKED, FOREVER.

I'll post a link below.

Take note:

"On its website, the company highlights the fact that no credit or debit card information was stolen, knowing full well that's the least dangerous information to lose," Neal O'Farrell, security and identity theft expert for CreditSesame.com, said in an email. "The victims of this breach, who lost their name, date of birth, and Social Security Number to hackers, now face a lifetime of potential victimization."

Those who are at risk are customers of Anthem Blue Cross, Anthem Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Blue Cross and Blue Shield of Georgia, Empire Blue Cross and Blue Shield, Amerigroup, Caremore, Unicare, Healthlink, and DeCare.

http://www.dailykos.com/story/2015/...Lifelong-Clusterfuck-for-80-Million-Americans

Free 24 month credit monitoring for Anthem hacking
https://www.anthemfacts.com/ Starts today 2/13/15

They are providing 24 months of service through AllClear ID. Stupid bastards
mad.gif
(Anthem of course). No proof required.

I already have AllClear and Mr Sue is frozen due to ID theft.

Info on placing security freeze with the three bureaus:

https://www.experian.com/freeze/center.html

https://www.freeze.equifax.com/Fr...IDInfo.jsp

https://freeze.transunion.com/sf/...ngPage.jsp

What is security freeze? (direct quote from Experian)

Security freezes are designed to prevent a credit reporting company from releasing your credit report without your consent. However, you should be aware that using a security freeze to take control over who is allowed access to the personal and financial information in your file may delay, interfere with or prohibit the timely approval of any subsequent request or application you make regarding a new loan, credit, mortgage, insurance, government services or payments, rental housing, employment, investment, license, cellular telephone, utilities, digital signature, Internet credit card transaction or other services, including an extension of credit at point of sale.

When you place a security freeze on your file, you will be provided a personal identification number or password to use if you choose to remove the security freeze from your file or authorize the temporary release of your credit report for a specific person or period after the security freeze is in place. To provide that authorization, you must contact the reporting agency and provide all the following:

Sufficient identification to verify your identity.
Your personal identification number or password provided by the credit reporting company.
A statement that you choose to remove the security freeze from your file or that you authorize the reporting agency to temporarily release your consumer report. If you authorize the temporary release of your consumer report, you must name the person who is to receive your consumer report or the period for which your consumer report must be available.

A security freeze generally does not apply to circumstances in which you have an existing account relationship and a copy of your report is requested by your existing creditor or its agents or affiliates for certain types of account review, collection, fraud control or similar activities.

If you are actively seeking credit, you should understand that the procedures involved in lifting a security freeze may slow your own applications for credit. You should plan ahead and lift a freeze, either completely if you are shopping around, or specifically for a certain creditor, a few days before actually applying for new credit.
Attached Thumbnails

W3AqGMU.png
2.0 KB / 2 views

Last edited by doboy007; Today at 06:27 PM..

Latest posts

Back