Low TSH after the DS?

Velvetkiss

Taking it One Day at a Time
I was not sure where to post this, so I just picked the surgery thread. I had my DS on 2/26/2014 and at my 6 months, had my first vitamins, A1C and TSH ran. I got my results back today. My D is low and so is Protein, but I expected that as I had a hard time after surgery with getting that and vitamins in. What I didnt expect was for my TSH to change. I usually run 1.98 to 2.98 and the variance is not dramatic at all. It has been this way for years. I got my level back today and my TSH is 0.016 , it is extremely low. I have to see my regular doctor so we can decide what to do about the very low TSH. Has anyone had this dramatic of a drop in their levels after the DS?

TSH numbers are backwards. I've been hypothyroid for years and a low TSH means a high functioning thyroid. Doctors used to say normal was 1.0-4.0. The new guidelines state that .3-3 is normal. So you're more hyperthyroid than hypo. I function best a bit below the 1.0 mark.
This still should be ok. Are you on thyroid meds? If so, then you should decrease your intake or stop.
It also could be the day. Were you fasting when you had your TSH test? That can make a difference. There's controversy as to when a thyroid should be taken fasting or not. Thyroid levels can vary dramatically throughout the day and day to day. (Edited to add the previous sentence).
Are you experiencing any of these symptoms - if so, you may be hyperthyroid (overactive thyroid):

Key Symptoms of Hyperthyroidism (An overactive thyroid)
  • nervousness
  • irritability
  • increased perspiration
  • thinning of your skin
  • fine brittle hair
  • muscular weakness especially involving the upper arms and thighs
  • shaky hands
  • panic disorder
  • insomnia
  • racing heart
  • more frequent bowel movements
  • weight loss despite a good appetite
  • lighter flow, less frequent menstrual periods
The above was taken from http://thyroid.about.com/cs/basics_starthere/a/symptoms.htm - another helpful link http://thyroid.about.com/od/thyroidbasicsthyroid101/a/confusion.htm
thyroid.about.com is one of the best resources on the net for thyroid disease IMO. (Edited to add 2nd link).

Last edited:
Thank You Jill, I always forget the numbers are backwards and Yes I guess I am not Hyper instead of Hypo. I take 2 thyroid meds and my doctor is going to lower them some and recheck the blood work in 6 weeks to see if it needs adjusting. I always function best in the 1.0 range. I am experiencing some of the symptoms of Hyperthyroidism, so it all makes sense now. I was just shocked it changed so drastically after surgery. It was one of those things I was not expecting. Thank you for the website as well.

Are you currently on thyroid meds? IF you are, sounds like an adjustment is seriously needed. If not, there may be other issues. Get a referral to an endo in that case. My oldest half sister developed a nodule on her thyroid causing it to go hyper...she ended up have it irradiated so now she has to take meds to put thyroid IN since the irradiation caused her to be hypothyroid.

I know I am and watch mine if they need adjustment. Thyroid panels, like an A1C, can be pulled every three months according to MOST insurance policies IF you are hypo/hyper thyroid or pre/full diabetic.

Thanks Southern Lady, I take 2 thyroid meds currently and my doctor is adjusting them lower and then we will rerun blood work in 6 weeks to see how much the adjustment helped.

Thanks Southern Lady, I take 2 thyroid meds currently and my doctor is adjusting them lower and then we will rerun blood work in 6 weeks to see how much the adjustment helped.
I take two as well...the generics for Synthroid and the generic for Cytomel. Have not needed any adjustments. :)

Latest posts

Back