Liver Enzymes normal again

Settledownnow

My liver enzymes have been very high and my most recent results were normal. I read on a bodybuilding forum that whey protein can cause elevated liver enzymes. I was drinking a double scoop (48 grams) of protein each morning. I decided to get rid of the whey protein to see if it helped. FWIW - my liver enzymes returned to normal. It is entirely possible it is a coincidence and not the reason my liver enzymes returned to normal levels, but I'm not going back to drinking that much protein anymore. However, since d/c'ing my morning protein drink, I found had problems getting in enough protein on many days. I added a Premier Protein RTD later in the day if needed for protein.

The results are that my liver enzymes are normal. BUT, my B6 and B12 are high. Sooo, if your liver enzymes are high you might reduce your whey protein intake and if your B vits are high, take a look to see if your protein drinks have added supplements.

Dec 2017
AST 41 (0-46) In range
ALT 51 (0-60) In range
ALK PHOS 141 (23 -144) In range

Sept 2017
AST 139 (10-35) High
ALT 105 (6-29) High
ALK PHOS 201 (33-130) High

April 2017
AST 133 (0-46) High
ALT 132 (0-60) High
ALK PHOS 244 (23-144) High

Last edited:
B12 being high is NOT an issue. Too low can cause permanent neurological issues but what is too low. Lower than 500.

My B12 has been over 2000 for 3 decades or more.

B6, OTOH, is toxic and can cause permanent neurological issues at high levels. B6 needs to stay on the low end of normal.

B12 being high is NOT an issue. Too low can cause permanent neurological issues but what is too low. Lower than 500.

My B12 has been over 2000 for 3 decades or more.

B6, OTOH, is toxic and can cause permanent neurological issues at high levels. B6 needs to stay on the low end of normal.

Right. I do not add B6 anywhere but in my multi. I'm certain the Premier RTD is throwing off my B6 and B12.

Latest posts

Back