Labs to Looksy! Am I ok?

DuodenalSwitchaRoo

Taking a long scenic route!
Ok, I just make an excel sheet of all the lab reports I have thus far. I don't have my pre op ones but I left the column blank so I can request them next time I see them. :)

The reason sometimes things are tested and not others is some of the labs were requested by nutritionist and others by surgeon. meh. Guess they think consistency is overrated!

At the moment, I'm working on raising my Zinc, Calcium, ferritin and protein, whilst lowering my PTH. My D seems stablish, but assume I should be working on getting more of a cushion in. Maybe do a double dose Sat & Sun?

Any input or questions welcome. Now lets see if I attach the file right haha!

ETA: none of these labs were done fasting

Attachments

• DuodenalSwitchaRoo Labs.xls
    33.5 KB · Views: 23
Okay, your ferritin, while improving is STILL in the toilet esp considering you are having hip surgery soon. I would get iron infusions based on that upcoming surgery. They will tell you your hemoglobin and hemacrit are fine...and they are BUT your ferritin is the savings account backing those two up and you are running out of cash in your savings account to cover the checks your hemoglobin and hemacrit are writing.

Yes, if it were me, I would add at least 3 and maybe 4 days of extra D every week.

And I would push protein heavily...your prealbumin is on the low side and you want to be as healthy as possible for this upcoming surgery.

Everything else looks good. Amazingly your PTH is in great shape in spite of your D level.

Okay, your ferritin, while improving is STILL in the toilet esp considering you are having hip surgery soon. I would get iron infusions based on that upcoming surgery. They will tell you your hemoglobin and hemacrit are fine...and they are BUT your ferritin is the savings account backing those two up and you are running out of cash in your savings account to cover the checks your hemoglobin and hemacrit are writing.

Yes, if it were me, I would add at least 3 and maybe 4 days of extra D every week.

And I would push protein heavily...your prealbumin is on the low side and you want to be as healthy as possible for this upcoming surgery.

Everything else looks good. Amazingly your PTH is in great shape in spite of your D level.

Dude! (ok, dudette, lol) I'm getting 150-200g of protein a day!!!! I'm going to turn into a hunk of meat soon lol. My surgeon told me to ditch the bars and shakes (I ignored him flat out, just shook my head and smiled...as we do!), but without them I would't get anywhere near 150-200 without gaining weight :(

I will add an extra D dose every day up until my hip op and see how that does me then take it to doubled on the weekends.

Oh, and iron trans fusions are out of the question. NHS remember? You have to be dying lol. But I will add another iron + C - copper to my daily routine. I'm also upping zinc to 3 x a day as I know protein and zinc are huge influences on healing.

meh. double meh! How can my protein be so low (for how much I eat?!) and Im not dropping weight!

my body frustrates me. The end lol

Dude! (ok, dudette, lol) I'm getting 150-200g of protein a day!!!! I'm going to turn into a hunk of meat soon lol. My surgeon told me to ditch the bars and shakes (I ignored him flat out, just shook my head and smiled...as we do!), but without them I would't get anywhere near 150-200 without gaining weight :(
Then I am curious about your actual absorption of them. Cause while you may be eating/drinking protein apparently your body isn't getting it like it should.

ok so this protein deal. Im going to ask a BEYOND stupid question, please forgive me!!!! If I'm not absorbing/retaining the protein, then I can up it a bit without worrying about kidney damage....yes? no? Told you it was stupid! I can aim for 200g minimum but Im going to be eating all the time!!!

oh and according to my lab printout, Vit D deficiency starts at <30. The >50 is the target range. Should I still up it?
If it were me going into a hip replacement, I would...it's one of the keys to good bone healing.
ok so this protein deal. Im going to ask a BEYOND stupid question, please forgive me!!!! If I'm not absorbing/retaining the protein, then I can up it a bit without worrying about kidney damage....yes? no? Told you it was stupid! I can aim for 200g minimum but Im going to be eating all the time!!!
Okay, this I don't know...maybe someone else can answer that one.

Aim to get your D to 200-250nmol, then you will feel the full benefits, not just the preventing-osteoporosis ones!

Aim to get your D to 200-250nmol, then you will feel the full benefits, not just the preventing-osteoporosis ones!

You mean it has GOOD things other than non-broken bones? I have been struggling with oddball symptoms. Doesn't hurt to crank up the D.

Does your GP or surgeon give you grief for having D in the 200's seeing as above 50 is seen as good?

If you are not absorbing some of the protein, I would interpret that to mean it's leaving via the colon and not the kidneys, and therefore should not be causing kidney damage. However, if would be easy to check for this with a routine U/A (urinalysis), which tests for protein in the urine, among other things.

so.... I still haven't got to 200, but my GP and endo know I am aiming for there.
My endo is more interested in my PTH being normal, which it is now. They were anxious about me lowering my daily dose from 150,000iu to 100,000iu so they are pretty cool.
Vit D is about soooooo much more than your bones.#
I've attached a chart. Remember for UK, you have to take the numbers along the top and multiply by 2.5 to get nmol.

vit d ng.jpg

so.... I still haven't got to 200, but my GP and endo know I am aiming for there.
My endo is more interested in my PTH being normal, which it is now. They were anxious about me lowering my daily dose from 150,000iu to 100,000iu so they are pretty cool.
Vit D is about soooooo much more than your bones.#
I've attached a chart. Remember for UK, you have to take the numbers along the top and multiply by 2.5 to get nmol.

View attachment 726

What and awesome chart!!!! According to that, Im at 34....so not in danger, but in definite need of improvement :) But it's deffo better than the 12 I was!!!! goodness me!

So, how many can I safely take a day? I am better off doing the 2 a day and taking it slow or should I take 3 a day?

What and awesome chart!!!! According to that, Im at 34....so not in danger, but in definite need of improvement :) But it's deffo better than the 12 I was!!!! goodness me!

So, how many can I safely take a day? I am better off doing the 2 a day and taking it slow or should I take 3 a day?
What I did when mine was below 35 taking 50K a day was to take 100,000 a day til I was retested. I had gone too high (somewhere around 140), so I dropped to just 3 extra a week and okay, so it dropped but only to the 130's. So, I dropped all extra but one a week. Next test, I was back down to the 80's and my PTH was back up. Adding one more extra a week brought it back over 100 but mot by much but my PTH was very nicely LOW normal.

One thing in all this, the lab range back in 2007 when I was first told I was low was 15-50. Then in 2010/2011 it was adjusted up to 25-85. Now it's 30-100. IF the medical community doesn't know what is actually best, how in the hell are WE suppose to know.

So I keep mine right at 100 and ignore the PCP's horror, LOL.

You shouldn't have any issue taking 3 a day. As my endo says...it doesn't matter what it says on the label, what matters is how much you absorb.
Make sure you add in more mag if you take more D.

Latest posts

Back