It's official....

brooklyngirl

Yankee gone south
I have the ugliest arms on the planet!

I am ridiculously self conscious about my upper arms. My grandmother is 85 and my arms are just as saggy, flabby, wrinkled and dimpled as hers, if not more. They are only rivaled by my stomach/panni which can be covered up with clothes. My thighs are horrid, but I haven't worn any clothing above knee length since junior high, so whatever. My boobs are atrocious, but no one sees them except for the hubby and he doesn't seem to care (lord knows why!) but my arms are not so easy to keep covered, especially in the summer heat in the south.

The first incidence was with a 3rd grader, whose family I was nannying for, in the spring. I was driving him home from school (when it was 92 degrees out and I went sleeveless for the first time) and he said to me "What's wrong with your arms?" I asked him if he meant my birthmark and he said "No, this stuff" and gestured to the batwings.

Now I'm doing ABA therapy with autistic kids. I have 3 students, and the first one stims on my arms. She finds them so interesting that she grabs them and squeezes them repeatedly/obsessively during our sessions, to the point that it's become a problem behavior I have to record data on.

Today my second student, out of the blue, said to me "I want to see arms!" and gestured at the batwings as I was pushing him on a tire swing. Then he stopped swinging and started fiddling with my flub. Then he said "Put hands up!" and wanted me to hold both arms in the air so he could make the flab wave back and forth. Then he said "Get new arms!" and I cracked the fuck up and told him I'd love it if he got me new arms! The conversation ended when he looked me in the eyes (a rarity) and smiled (another rarity) and said "IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!" :ROFLMAO:

My third student doesn't really communicate, so if she takes notice of my arms, I might fling myself off a bridge. :rolleyes:;):laugh:

Last edited:
Arms (and lower face plus upper eyes) were the only PS I've had. It wasn't planned that way - it was supposed to be the first stage of at least 3 surgeries - but I chickened out of doing any more surgery. But I'm glad I had the arms done - it's nice to not worry about having my arms fit in sleeves that are the right sized based on the size of my chest. I'm 61, and they were done as a first approximation - there was supposed to be a revision to the scar and to "even" them up (it's hard to get them exactly the same when a large amount of tissue is being removed). And of course, I'm 5 years older and they've sagged a bit like I could expect. But it's good enough.

Sounds to me like you might be able to justify some medical necessity - do you have rashes? Do they hang down when you reach over a hot pot on the stove? Are they frequently bruised by the kids pinching them?

Sounds to me like you might be able to justify some medical necessity - do you have rashes? Do they hang down when you reach over a hot pot on the stove? Are they frequently bruised by the kids pinching them?
I don't get rashes in the same way I do on the tummy/panni area, but I do get irritation sometimes from friction. And I do get bruises, but they're not the kind that you can really see on the skin, but the ones I can feel underneath, so that might be hard to prove. Should I start pinching myself and take pics? ;)

I got a real chuckle out of the kids! I used to work with what we called "special" people all through high school. This story brought back good memories.
As far as the "saggies" I hear ya!

Then he said "Get new arms!" and I cracked the fuck up and told him I'd love it if he got me new arms! The conversation ended when he looked me in the eyes (a rarity) and smiled (another rarity) and said "IT'S BEAUTIFUL!!!"

how awesome is that?

I have a friend who is a Physical Therapist and she used to work for a school system, she has a lot of stories about the kids. When I was still in school I did one fieldwork in an elementary school and one a kid pointed at a mole I had on my face and said "what's that?!"with a look of horror.

and people with dementia are forever saying what they think about others and their bodies. no filter! :eek:

how awesome is that?

I have a friend who is a Physical Therapist and she used to work for a school system, she has a lot of stories about the kids. When I was still in school I did one fieldwork in an elementary school and one a kid pointed at a mole I had on my face and said "what's that?!"with a look of horror.

and people with dementia are forever saying what they think about others and their bodies. no filter! :eek:
I've been teaching little kids with no filters for all of my adult life, but this was probably the most innocent and honest exchange ever :)

Latest posts

Back