Iron dosage?

newanatomy

I am following the vitalady schedule but, I did not order her tender iron. I bought Feosol Carbonyl Iron to start. It has iron, 45mg. How many do I take each morning? Vitalady tender iron is 5 at a time, not knowing what her "tender iron" is, makes it difficult to translate.

Her Tender iron capsules and tablet are both carbonyl iron. When I was bringing my iron up I was using her tablets. It was 12 at a time for 300 mg of iron. I also took 2 Proferrin tablets split in half at bedtime. If you're just starting iron you might want to add it very slowly. Take 1 45 mg tablet a day for a week, the second week add another, the 3d week add another and so forth until you get to 300 mg if that's what you want to shoot for. Carbonyl is supposed to good for bringing up your ferritin. It sure works wel for me. Good luck.

Gina

Thank you so much MajorMom! It is confusing getting started on all this and intimidating to take all these pills. I was horrified at the amount of vitamin A we take a day! Just working into the full schedule. I will do the iron as you recommend above though.

Thanks again!

You're welcome. :)
A word about the vitamin A. It's very individual. I only took 100,000 IUs a day for about 3 months and then was able to cut back, then stopped it for almost a year, and now I'm maintaining on 25,000 IUs every other week. Really track your labs for trends and levels, and make adjustments to your vitamins. The folks here and on the various groups with some vet DSrs can help.

I applaud you NA:clapping:so early out and up on your vits. I just could not deal so I bought the pre-packs and to this day a year out I still order them.

Thanks, @Whit.

I bought Vitalady's A and D3. I followed her guidelines for everything else and bought the same dosages. I was just having trouble with the iron. There are so many choices out there! This is the third one I have purchased the other two were no good for DSr's. So it has still been trial and error. I didn't want to mess with the packs because I wanted to start slow. Today is the first day I have taken all the vites. My stomach ached this morning (I think it is the B complex) but, it wasn't too bad. I will see how it goes tomorrow, I might leave out the B complex for another week.

If it turns out it's not the B-complex, test the zinc. Some folks have trouble with zinc.

I have been taking zinc since pretty early out with no problem. Only 50 mg before and 100mg now, so if I still have trouble today after not taking the B-50 complex, I will look more closely at the zinc.

Latest posts

Back