I'm Back!! FINALLY!....Sliced, Diced & Spliced!

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
FINALLY!!!!....We did it!!! I have officially become one of “You People”! Everything went about as good as you could hope for, no surprises except for one thing. I’ve never had surgery before and up till now, I’ve always heard that Cops had the best drugs….its not true!!

I am doing WAY better than I had ever thought possible. I went home last night after just 2 1/2 days in the hospital. The pain and the side effects have almost been non-existent, so surprised. They had me on a morphine drip for the first 24 hrs and I thought it was because of that, but I haven’t had any pain meds for over 36 hours and the pain is real mild. I seen someone post on here before and say it felt like they'd done 100 sit-ups, that’s EXACTLY the way it feels to me, In high school, I would do 100 sit-ups per day and it feels just like that, so minimal, very surprised and lucky!

A couple of things I didn’t expect….I am extremely ravenous hungry! Like a teenager???WTF??? I’d seen someone post this before too, but can’t remember? 80+ percent of my stomach is gone, how can I be this hungry without all that production of ghrelin??? I’m hoping that one I start on my protein shakes tomorrow, this will subside some.

So, just wanted to say hi and give an up-date. I know I'm not out of the danger zone just yet, but things do look very encouraging!! Thxs!

Last edited:
Great news! I was just about to comment in the other thread that you've had long enough since going under and you need to get your butt on here and post! Lol
Glad your doing so well...that's how it was for me too. Very minimal pain.
Are you taking a PPI everyday? That's the only thing I can think of in regards to the hunger. Could be stomach acid....it can mimic hunger.

You're back! Congrats on your full DS, glad the pain isn't bad and that you're already home.

PPI = proton pump inhibitor. It's the name for a class of drugs used for reflux and gastritis. I'm sure you've heard of Prilosec (aka omeprazole), which is the best known of the class. You can get it either by prescription or otc. It might or might not help with the sense of hunger. Some people are hungry post-op, some are not. I wasn't hungry at all, but did have reflux type pain that was totally relieved with Prilosec. See what your doc says.

I was starving in the morning too. BUT I wouldn't have an appetite for anything. Very frustrating. What helped me was having a bit of low carb yogurt to take the edge off the hunger so I could think straight. My surgeon's office also said that having a saltine cracker in the morning would help with the acid that makes it feel like I was hungry. I didn't feel acidic but the cracker would help a ton also.
I had little to no pain and an easy recovery too. Just my back hurt from lying on it during surgery. I felt bad for having such an easy recovery. I think it's important that people know that there are easy recoveries too. I think being mentally prepared and being on the forums helped me because I knew what possibilities existed. I'm so happy for you that you are doing well and on your way to a greater life.
Cathy

I love that. Welcome to the Borg. The collective welcomes our newly modified member. Take it easy and just because you aren't doubled over in pain doesn't mean you are ready for the Olympic Trials!

Congrats Rob! The hunger is probably a combination of either your body being empty of nutrition for a few days, your stomach being full of acid and/or head hunger. I think those are all pretty normal to experience now. Once you sip a protein shake you're gonna be surprised at how long it takes to drink it. What acid reducer are you on? Lots of us had to try different ones before finding one that works best.

Latest posts

Back