If you were self-pay...

Here's another issue - IIRC, while Ungson is a very good surgeon, he only does the DS as an open procedure for foreign patients, and uses a horizontal incision.
Not necessarily a bad thing. Once upon a time I asked Dr. Baltasar why the horizontal incision. His answer made sense, better visibility for the surgeon and if the patient has plastics the whole scar can be gotten rid of. But in the big scheme of things, the scar doesn't mean much!

@jillc Good to hear from you! I never even thought to ask-- is the incision vertical or horizontal? I've just assumed its vertical.

@jillc Thanks! Dr. K looks very impressive, I have to say after looking at his Youtube Video and his explaining of how he measures the bowel for cutting. How have you done after surgery? My biggest concern is having diarrhea. having constant bathroom issues, etc. I know everyone says it's "what you eat" but what if you eat the right way and you still have horrible bathroom issues. That is my biggest fear. People on here an OH talk about having diarrhea run down there leg...missing out on life. I don't want that.

I eat clean most of the time, I have eaten Paleo and love it...it's hard to stick to, though. I know if there are "consequences" to eating carbs that will help and I know I truly feel better eating Paleo, so why don't I just do that now? Ugh. I've been through two weight loss surgeries, restrictive only, and I know it wasn't enough. Now, at 46, my metabolism is SHOT. I log my food and show it to my therapist and she doesn't understand why I don't lose weight. Although, she is more concerned with how I deal with food and eating in moderation, which I do well now.

sorry for the long post. Yesterday, I convinced myself that there are just too many risks to the DS, even though it's the best procedure for what I have now (VSG). Today, it seems like it would be the answer.

We'll see what tomorrow holds.

Thanks everyone

"People on here an OH talk about having diarrhea run down there leg...missing out on life. I don't want that. " Where do you see people on BariatricFacts posting about this?

Many people on OH are idiots. That's a major reason most of us DSers post here (except for the angels who wade into the muck over there to bring the teachable ones here). That and the ridiculous moderation on OH, where the mods are beholden to their paid RNY and Crapband mill sponsors, and don't want the DSers dissing those surgeries.

I've read a lot of back posts and I saw one on here where she didn't know she was having a reaction to protein shakes. She said in her post (which I guess I could try and look up) that it was so bad that she had diarrhea running down her leg. It's like it stopped her life. Thankfully, she realized it was the protein shakes but went for years with that.

I don't want that. I guess I wouldn't since I'm already informed about elimination diet.

Here it is!!

I have had terrible diarrhea since my first revision to DS in 2010. I am talking horrible not enough warning running down the legs messy smelly shit possible. It started right from the get go but I just didn’t think it was because of the DS. I tried taking rounds of Flagyl 30 days on then off. It would help for a while but come back with a vengeance. I tried the elimination crap, different protein powders with different artificial sweeteners are pure evil for me (my stomach cramps up so bad I want to curl in a ball). I have had a lot of different pproblems so I wasn't sure what was causing all of this.

I think the answer to your concern is that pretty much anyone who has this sort of problem can come HERE and find some combination of things to try from the advice garnered by 100s of person-years of DS experience, and at least one of them will solve the problem. It's a a rare problem, but it happens, and we know how to figure out a way to fix it.

This is not what most people without this peer-to-peer support experience - they get into trouble, their doctors don't know how to help, and next thing you know, it's all being blamed on the DS being a lousy surgery - when in fact, it's them being lousy and lazy doctors. It is very rare anymore than anyone we try to help needs a revision or ends up chained to their toilet.

I'm a VSG to DS revision..only 5 months out now but I've never had diarrhea or even loose stools. I've had the opposite problem..constipation. I changed my calcium type and it's much much better.

I've had zero issues related to my conversion to DS.

Okay, the first TWO weeks while I was 1) on liquids and 2) BRAND new and my guts hated me, I did have diarrhea but not to the point of "running down my leg" BUT I did feel "chained to the toilet". ONCE I was on soft foods and started my vitamins, that immediately cleared up and now I am far more prone to constipation.

@Barbara - Yep it's vertical. Which is a relief otherwise I would have had a cross on my abdomen (one from the VBG, and then the DS). Considering I'm not religious in a Christian sort of way it would have been disconcerting :D
Instead, they excised the tissue so my scar is better looking this time. I keloid, so it's never going to look great.
I'm doing well, I'm 5 months as of tomorrow and am about 8 lbs away from 50% EWL. Hope I make it by the 6 moth mark but if I don't, oh well - what can you do?
How long till your surgery?

@SJB41976 Immediately after surgery I had very loose stools. Once I was able to swallow calcium supplements everything firmed up. IMO, the DS was my only solution. You have to make your choice but don't let fear-mongering (especially with the many, many DS haters on OH) be a factor. Make up a pro and con list.
Make sure you factor in long term weight loss results, though. Dr K does have a really interesting table on his web site comparing the success rates and % of EWL lost.

@jillc Thanks. It's what I figured but wanted to be sure. Surgery July 13th. Congrats on you great weight loss! You are right on schedule. It must feel great!

The 3 best low-cost vetted surgeons are, imo:

(All 3 are for 4 day hospital stays)
Dr. David Greenbaum, $13,000 Open, removes gallbladder and appendix. You have to pay for separate pre-op testing like EKG, psych eval, blood work, etc... locally, before approval.

Dr. Ungson Lap $13,000; revision (from sleeve) $14,500 All inclusive price

Dr. Toon Sonneville 10,000 Euro ($11,200ish USD) All inclusive (The exchange rate makes this price fluctuate by a couple thousand dollars.)

The 3 best low-cost vetted surgeons are, imo:

(All 3 are for 4 day hospital stays)
Dr. David Greenbaum, $13,000 Open, removes gallbladder and appendix. You have to pay for separate pre-op testing like EKG, psych eval, blood work, etc... locally, before approval.

Dr. Ungson Lap $13,000; revision (from sleeve) $14,500 All inclusive price

Dr. Toon Sonneville 10,000 Euro ($10,600ish USD) All inclusive
Okay, Greenbaum is in New Jersey
Ungson is in Mexico
Sooneville is ???

Latest posts

Back