If you were self-pay...

SJB41976

What would you do??? I know if you go to Mexico Ungston would be the only one you would choose in Mexico for a DS (and this is a VSG to DS revision). But is Ungston THE best and would you choose to go to him over a vetted US surgeon?

Trying to decide 1) on the surgery itself. It would be the only surgery I would have done, but I'm still researching and coming to terms with the changes a malabsorptive procedure brings. 2) Trying to decide whether to go to Mexico or vetted surgeon in Tennessee or Georgia. I live in Tennessee.

What would you do.....

(I've been to Mexico for surgery and it was fine, but it was the lap band, however, my family (not my husband but other family) is extremely hesitant of my going out of country for such a serious operation). When I had my band to VSG revision the first question that was asked was "you're not going to Mexico are you...". LOL. I went to David Kim in Texas, because at the time he was the surgeon to go to for VSG and he was very affordable and I think he did an excellent job on my tummy. It was a bit of a circus at the hospital with all the procedures he did ahead of me, but my tummy looked good. Haven't seen it since, though. Interested in what it looks like now.

Is Ungston the BEST overall, or will Dr. Stephen Boyce be just as good. I am also looking at Dr. Stephen Smith.

Any input would be appreciated.

If I were self pay, I would go to Dr. Greenbaum east coast or Dr. Keshishian on the west coast. Dr. Greenbaum has an excellent self pay price...much better than Boyce's altho Boyce is an excellent cutter.

Another option since you are one of the simpler revisions is to find out what Dr. Ayoola in Denton, TX charges for self pay.

Dr. Stephen Smith??? Do you happen to mean Dr. Dennis Smith who was in Marrietta, GA but has relocated to Celebration, FL.

Here's another issue - IIRC, while Ungson is a very good surgeon, he only does the DS as an open procedure for foreign patients, and uses a horizontal incision.

Let's put it this way...Boyce's cash option for the DS is 25,750.00 And I don't think he discounts that just because you already have the VSG. Last price I saw for Greenbaum was around 17,000. You could afford to travel for the difference in price.

I had virgin DS surgery w Dr. Greenbaum in NJ on Feb. 2. He has a great reputation. I paid less than $15K as a self pay. I wanted to stay in the US for my surgery if I could. I've heard good things about Ungson but would have only considered going to Mexico if Dr. Greenbaum's rate wasn't available. Dr. G removes the gallbladder and appendix and fixes any hiatal hernia during his DS procedures. Not sure if Ungson does the same - you'll want to check that. Dr. G does an open procedure. - not lap. So far no regrets. I'm down 50 pounds at almost 3 months out.

Good luck!

SO......why do they do them open?? What is the recovery like from that? Thanks, everyone. I would really like to stay in the US. I didn't know Ungston did the surgery open, too.

Dr. Greenbaum does his surgeries (virgin DS and revisions) open bc he likes to see what he is doing and believes it lessens the chance for post surgical complications. I don't know about Ungson. I actually thought his virgin DS surgeries were lap.

That's what I thought about Ungston, also.

@southernlady Yes, Dennis Smith. When I look on his website in Florida, it is stating that he does surgery in GA also. I sent them an email for clarification but have not heard back from them. I have the paperwork for the Marietta office, I just haven't filled it out. Still researching and searching.

Thanks everyone for the responses!

@Jen-2 what is recovery like with open?? Is it a huge open procedure site? I've only ever had lap, and recover really well from them. I'm usually a good, low key recoverer, anyways...

I'm not Jen but I had an open hysterectomy back in 1994. DS was done lap.
Regardless of which way you have it done, your insides are still sliced/diced/and sewn back together. My biggest issue with lap was the gas still residing in your body afterward...good Lord Almighty, that hurt.

I'd go to keshishian. Why cause he's the best. Lol no really just because like everyone else feels about their surgeon he's the best. Plus he is so caring. Answers you back very quickly with responses to concerns

Mexico..."When Pigs Fly" Oh I know several people have had great results but I could not help myself...see Avatar!

Dr. Keshishian in CA preformed my revision RNY to DS. It was open and no big deal. I was terrified as my RNY was lap. It was not big deal. The site was numb I couldn't feel a thing.

IMO you should chose your Doctor on capabilities. If he opens you up to see better then thats what needs to happen. You should opt for the best it's your life.

Best,
Whit

Although it is accepted that Keshishian is one of the best DS surgeons, his self-pay price is approximate and not an inclusive of one of the pre-op tests (he wants to do the endoscopy himself and that is about $1000). I was quoted $28,500. So including the endoscopy almost $30,000. And I think that's only for 2 night's stay in the hospital but don't quote me on that.

Now, I too believe you should choose the best surgeon. I chose Greenbaum. And I had a revision surgery (VBG to DS). My care and recovery was excellent. My aftercare has been excellent. My all in price was (not including airfare and accommodation) was just over $15,000 plus $157 pre-op appointment fee. Accommodation was $2,000 (Marriott Residence in for 13 nights) + Rental car for my mother was $800 and flights approx $1000 (Canadian) for my mother and myself.

There was an amazing grocery store called Wegman's that my mother got her meals and wine from and she spent approx $15-20/day there.

So all in was approximately $20,000 USD (the exchange rate sucked at the time but is worse now) - cost me approximately $25,000 Canadian.

So, not including any additional expenses, Dr. K is $10,000 more expensive on self pay. That's sh*t load more $$. Especially if you're a non-American.

IMO, Greenbaum is a top tier surgeon. You automatically go into intensive/critical care after your DS surgery for the first 24 hours as a safety measure. Then are transferred to the bariatric floor when a bed becomes available. I stayed in critical care for 48 hours because of bed shortages on the bariatric floor at no additional cost.

I was really apprehensive about open surgery as my VBG was open and I remembered the pain was excruciating. With the binder and the aftercare, yes, it was painful, but not excessively so. Only major problem for me was ...this is a TMI statement so I'll put it in a spoiler tag:
I had problems with ablutions. My mother, who thankfully is a former RN, had to help me wipe my butt when I started having bowel movements. The incision made it impossible for me to reach back that far until about 10 days after surgery. There are implements you can buy online to help you with this. I imagine it is a problem for many SMO and MO patients even before surgery in some cases, but it hadn't been an issue beforehand for me.

My 2 cents.

Latest posts

Back