If you were self-pay...

Sonneville is at Jan Palfijn Hospital , Ghent , Belgium

Also it's done lap.

If I was self-pay, and money wasn't a factor, all things being equal: I'd choose Dr. Keshishian. I think he's the absolute best in the world.

Edited to add: If my BMI was above 50, I'd choose Open surgery. I'll quote Dr. Greenbaums website for my reasoning on this:

Laparoscopic Surgery is generally better because it allows the operation to be performed with less post-operative pain, less scarring, and a smaller incidence of wound infections and hernias. Results of the Duodenal Switch however, show that the mortality of open surgery is 0.76% while that of laparoscopic surgery is over 1%. Why is this? The Duodenal Switch is such a complex operation that it takes longer than the other weight loss operations.With particularly obese patients a complication of rhabdomyolysis (death) of the gluteal muscles may occur. During laparoscopic surgery, the patient is positioned with their head above their feet on a slanted table which puts extra pressure on the gluteal muscles. If the operating time is excessive as it may be during laparoscopic duodenal switch surgery in extremely obese patients, this may occur. This and other complications from prolonged operating times may explain this increase in mortality.

One may ask the question—“Should I have a Laparoscopic Gastric Bypass or an Open Duodenal Switch” if that is the two options being considered. Although one may prefer laparoscopic surgery, the benefits of it over open surgery are short lived and if the advantages of lifestyle and additional weight loss are important, one should not sacrifice having their preferred operation to avoid an incision. In general, one leaves the hospital about 1 day sooner with laparoscopic surgery and may be able to resume activities 1-2 weeks sooner, but patients with open surgery today recover faster than they ever had as we use the special instruments and techniques adopted for laparoscopic surgery in all open procedures, allowing quicker recovery.

Last edited:

Latest posts

Back