If you don’t know - ask the drug company for help with expensive meds

DianaCox

Bad Cop
(The More You Know)

My husband was recently diagnosed with cirrhosis, and in order to keep blood ammonia levels down (causes hepatic encephalopathy), the doctor prescribed Xifaxan in addition to lactolose. It is interesting that both drugs work on the same issue in very different ways - lactulose is a laxative, which pulls the ammonia produced by gut bacteria out of the gut, and Xifaxan is a non-absorbed antibiotic that kills the ammonia-producing bacteria in the gut.

The issue is that Xifaxan is a Tier 5 specialty drug on his Medicare Part D formulary: our cost is over $1000/month. He started out on samples from the doctor, but getting the script was something he was resisting because of the cost.

So, we applied to the manufacturer (Bausch owns them) under their patient assistance program, and just found out that Bausch is going to be sending him the medication for free (I think).

Consider doing this if you are struggling with medication costs.

Interestingly, those GoodRx-type cards often say they don’t work if you’re on certain types of insurance, including Medicare, but if you ask for help directly from the manufacturer, they can help.

Yes. I used to be the Go To Girl at a VERY LARGE senior housing complex. The doctors/admins sent patients to me and I helped them with the process.

This was the website I used the most. It’s been a while, so I can’t vouch for how well it work now, but it was pretty good back in the day:

https://www.needymeds.org/pap

If I recall, the only PITA part was that, for many drugs, they had to be sent to the prescribing health care provider. They were not always good at playing with others.

Oh, yes...one other PITA part is that for some meds, if you have ANY Rx coverage for that drug, you can’t play. So if you have an Rx for a medication that costs $2000 and your insurance pays a whopping $500, and you still owe $1500, they won’t help. But if you have NO Rx coverage, you get it for free.

Last edited:
Yes, I think this one might not have played well with regular insurance, but they were ok with Part D.

And yes, the doctor’s office had to do paperwork too. Fortunately they were cooperative. After losing the original paperwork 3-4 times.

Latest posts

Back