I was NOT prepared for this...

Onelastshot

I am 5 months post op, just shy of losing 75% of my EW, and feel great. I had trouble digesting (not swallowing) the vitamins in the beginning, but am finally taking them with no issues. Perhaps it was my Celiac's that made it a little of a bumpier road? I don't know but I'm glad it's no longer an issue.

I read some folks mentioning how their taste buds changed a bit, but mine changed MAJORLY and I was not prepared for that. I had a severe soda addiction. Not like, oh I really like soda but if they don't have it I'll survive. I mean, if I don't have soda I will get massive headaches, become a bitch, and not be able to function until I've had one. Legit addiction. I have had no soda since surgery. Not one. I was at a function and they only had soda (no water fountain either) so I took a sip of my husband's and gagged. How the hell did I drink that stuff for so long? I drink water or unsweetened tea now bc anything else is too much to handle.

And it's not just soda-- my sweet tooth is gone. I don't care about any of it... ice cream, cookies, etc are in my house all the time and I never eat it. Regular applesauce is too much so i use the unsweetened. I don't do bread bc of the gluten, but fully admit to missing a good sandwich. I eat a ton of protein and have always I hated breaded/ fried meat of any kind.

I love not having a sweet tooth anymore, but was not prepared for such a major shift in flat out hating it and I am excited. There's a part of me that is saying, this can't possibly last forever. Did anyone else experience this, and if so did it stay that way or did your old taste buds come back? Just curious.

I WISH my taste buds had changed...but no, I still like everything I did before. I just know that some things make my gut upset so I tend to avoid those.

It may last or it may not. For the first few months, I could not tolerate things I previously liked. Now I can't think of anything that stayed disliked. Like Southernlady said, if I eat certain things my body will let me know in no uncertain terms that it has changed.

(My mom had a Pepsi addiction, but no other pop would do. Maybe it was the caffeine, but I pity the fool who drank the last one. I know at least once I walked to the convenience store in zero degree weather to get more.)

I am 5 months post op, just shy of losing 75% of my EW, and feel great. I had trouble digesting (not swallowing) the vitamins in the beginning, but am finally taking them with no issues. Perhaps it was my Celiac's that made it a little of a bumpier road? I don't know but I'm glad it's no longer an issue.

I read some folks mentioning how their taste buds changed a bit, but mine changed MAJORLY and I was not prepared for that. I had a severe soda addiction. Not like, oh I really like soda but if they don't have it I'll survive. I mean, if I don't have soda I will get massive headaches, become a bitch, and not be able to function until I've had one. Legit addiction. I have had no soda since surgery. Not one. I was at a function and they only had soda (no water fountain either) so I took a sip of my husband's and gagged. How the hell did I drink that stuff for so long? I drink water or unsweetened tea now bc anything else is too much to handle.

And it's not just soda-- my sweet tooth is gone. I don't care about any of it... ice cream, cookies, etc are in my house all the time and I never eat it. Regular applesauce is too much so i use the unsweetened. I don't do bread bc of the gluten, but fully admit to missing a good sandwich. I eat a ton of protein and have always I hated breaded/ fried meat of any kind.

I love not having a sweet tooth anymore, but was not prepared for such a major shift in flat out hating it and I am excited. There's a part of me that is saying, this can't possibly last forever. Did anyone else experience this, and if so did it stay that way or did your old taste buds come back? Just curious.
I was the same way! I loved Diet Coke and was sad to know I shouldn't drink carbonated drinks at first. I got brace and tried a sip and couldn't go it! I can now stand it, but I elected not to and I don't miss it. The bubbles don't work well. I do water, and weak tea mostly. Sweets didn't taste good either, but that aversion has not lasted, but it did for several months. My taste buds finally seem back to normal and I'm about 13 months post.

Latest posts

Back