I do have a Couple Questions???

Robs, I'm new here, but almost 13 years out from an open DS. The first few days after surgery are a emotional high. No matter what...you lived...you did it! A couple weeks later you may "tank", as in oh my God what have I done? After 3 weeks you should be out of danger of serious complications from the surgery. However, it takes about 3 months to really get your stamina and groove back on. Let it happen. Screw the scales...well you know, not literally.

Robs, I'm new here, but almost 13 years out from an open DS. The first few days after surgery are a emotional high. No matter what...you lived...you did it! A couple weeks later you may "tank", as in oh my God what have I done? After 3 weeks you should be out of danger of serious complications from the surgery. However, it takes about 3 months to really get your stamina and groove back on. Let it happen. Screw the scales...well you know, not literally.

Hi @Razbry , Thxs for the well wishes, Ive been following your threads and they are full of info, awesome to have you here! Thxs again and please keep posting!

OK Peeps, so, for an update, today is day 5 for me and everything’s still doing ok. A few things have changed though, yesterday, right after putting up this post about not doing # 2 yet, it all started working. Not sure if this is normal, but I had 6 diarrhea poops yesterday and 6 today. It literally feels like all the liquid is going right through me. Here is my total consumption:

12 Oz Healthy N Fit Choc….30-45 g protein (If heaping)
I - TBLSP of All-In-One Vits for seniors, mixed in with the shake
24 OZ water with 2 OZ blue Gatorade mixed in for a little flavor
12 OZ Pure Chicken Broth

Yeah, I know, it’s only 48 OZ, still trying to get back up to 64. Any thoughts or ideas? Or is this normal, or could it maybe be the All-In-One Vits for seniors I’m mixing in? Tomorrow, I’m leaving it out and see what happens? Please advise? Thxs Rob

Normal output. Liquid in, liquid out. Might be a good time to try adding in a bit of calcium, which is known to firm things up, as it were.

Please get those fluids up as much as possible, my friend. Dehydration is no joke and can hit you hard and fast.

Best to make up a batch of 64 or more oz of Gatorade/water every morning in a pitcher or separate bottles to ensure you reach your goal every day. This may require keeping a thermos or bottle at your side and taking a sip every couple of minutes, and while a nuisance, is a temporary and rather worthwhile one. I'd like to see you get 64 oz of H20 with flavoring, plus the shake, plus the broth, to be honest... You *can* do it.

Wishing you all the best!

OK Peeps, so, for an update, today is day 5 for me and everything’s still doing ok. A few things have changed though, yesterday, right after putting up this post about not doing # 2 yet, it all started working. Not sure if this is normal, but I had 6 diarrhea poops yesterday and 6 today. It literally feels like all the liquid is going right through me. Here is my total consumption:

12 Oz Healthy N Fit Choc….30-45 g protein (If heaping)
I - TBLSP of All-In-One Vits for seniors, mixed in with the shake
24 OZ water with 2 OZ blue Gatorade mixed in for a little flavor
12 OZ Pure Chicken Broth

Yeah, I know, it’s only 48 OZ, still trying to get back up to 64. Any thoughts or ideas? Or is this normal, or could it maybe be the All-In-One Vits for seniors I’m mixing in? Tomorrow, I’m leaving it out and see what happens? Please advise? Thxs Rob
Yeah, the liquid in/liquid out kept me housebound...scared to go anywhere. I went to soft foods at 2 weeks and that's when things turned around.

I also added my vits. *I* made the mistake of trying to get all my vits in the first day...well at one pill at a time, each requiring a sip of water, I was full after 2 pills and it was mentally more than I could handle. At that point, I stopped my vits for about 2 months (NOT RECOMMENDED). When I started back, I had had one post op lab panel so I adjusted based on that and started back...and have continued since then with only ONE other break...the 6 weeks after my first jaw surgery.

And yes, getting fluid IS hard but keep at it. YOU do not want @Elizabeth N. to yell at you for being dehydrated. Esp after spelling out how to get 64 oz in a day by sipping.

Normal output. Liquid in, liquid out. Might be a good time to try adding in a bit of calcium, which is known to firm things up, as it were.

Please get those fluids up as much as possible, my friend. Dehydration is no joke and can hit you hard and fast.

Best to make up a batch of 64 or more oz of Gatorade/water every morning in a pitcher or separate bottles to ensure you reach your goal every day. This may require keeping a thermos or bottle at your side and taking a sip every couple of minutes, and while a nuisance, is a temporary and rather worthwhile one. I'd like to see you get 64 oz of H20 with flavoring, plus the shake, plus the broth, to be honest... You *can* do it.

Wishing you all the best!

Thxs Hil! I will do better. I just got back from grocery shopping and bought some variety, like V-8 juice, more broths, just to break it up and make it more "enticing"....lol, for lack of a better word!

Yeah, the liquid in/liquid out kept me housebound...scared to go anywhere. I went to soft foods at 2 weeks and that's when things turned around.

I also added my vits. *I* made the mistake of trying to get all my vits in the first day...well at one pill at a time, each requiring a sip of water, I was full after 2 pills and it was mentally more than I could handle. At that point, I stopped my vits for about 2 months (NOT RECOMMENDED). When I started back, I had had one post op lab panel so I adjusted based on that and started back...and have continued since then with only ONE other break...the 6 weeks after my first jaw surgery.

And yes, getting fluid IS hard but keep at it. YOU do not want @Elizabeth N. to yell at you for being dehydrated. Esp after spelling out how to get 64 oz in a day by sipping.

Thxs Liz, I will do better, please dont sick EN on me, or any of these other Ladies!! I'm not stupid, I want to stay on you'lls good side for sure :D

Thxs Hil! I will do better. I just got back from grocery shopping and bought some variety, like V-8 juice, more broths, just to break it up and make it more "enticing"....lol, for lack of a better word!
V8 tasted great! It DID make my sleeve talk like crazy so be forewarned! Liquids still make it talk. I love hot tea, esp on a cold SLEETY day like today. The dogs usually get blamed for my noisy sleeve.

Latest posts

Back