I do have a Couple Questions???

robs477

Now an Angel in heaven
OK, so...I feel great!, I feel so good, I am actually a little scared. My concerns are: I have not yet gone to do # 2 yet and I do feel somewhat bloated. On Sunday, tomorrow, I think that will be one week. Also, I know I am only FOUR days out, but when (statistically speaking) am I out of the major danger zones for leaks infections etc? Is it 10 days, 2 weeks or what?? Good “Luck” doesn’t usually happen for me, I always have to make it happen, so…I would be lying if I said I was just wasn’t just waiting for the bad shit to happen??? I know I’m being a knob, but…WTF?

BTW.....@Jen-1 Where r u??? and....how ru???

I think my first BM was at 5 days. With the liquid diet for 2 weeks prior to surgery and a week after, I didn't create much solids, although I did have enough gas to power all of Houston for a week.
Congrats on the surgery. Glad things went well.

OK, so...I feel great!, I feel so good, I am actually a little scared. My concerns are: I have not yet gone to do # 2 yet and I do feel somewhat bloated. On Sunday, tomorrow, I think that will be one week. Also, I know I am only FOUR days out, but when (statistically speaking) am I out of the major danger zones for leaks infections etc? Is it 10 days, 2 weeks or what?? Good “Luck” doesn’t usually happen for me, I always have to make it happen, so…I would be lying if I said I was just wasn’t just waiting for the bad shit to happen??? I know I’m being a knob, but…WTF?

BTW.....@Jen-1 Where r u??? and....how ru???

Robs...yes...a knob...a soon-to-be-svelte-knob...but, you know...and we all know I know nothing of science. Therefore, I am providing a WAG...wild ass guess. I do not believe that there exists, except maybe on paper, a definite "line in the sand," as far as the appearance of complications. Rather, I suspect there is an incremental lessening of risk as each day comes and goes. (Although many surgeons like their patients to stay local for a full week post-op, just in case.)

Back in the day, I had cancer. The "Tumor Registrar" ...that is or was a job title... contacted each of us survivors annually to see if we were still breathing. For five years. Because that five year mark is/was a big line in the sand for THEM. But honestly, I don't believe I was more at risk at four years, eleven months, three weeks and six days than I was at five years and one day.

So, not what you wanted to hear...but a reason to celebrate EACH DAY, okay?

The first thirty days are generally considered the biggest danger zone for immediate surgical complications. You are getting very little feedback from your guts because so many nerves were cut or disturbed. You might feel rather worse before you're done, as things start reconnecting and communicating. But that should not be a horrible, excruciating experience. Anything that falls into horrible, excruciating territory is call the doc time.

I think I finally pooped about six days out. Farted plenty before that, though.

I could not even pee for a couple of days. It was bizarre! Don't let it go too long before adding a medicine to help. The last thing you want is to be straining for a poop.

BTW.....@Jen-1, Where r u??? and....how ru???

I'm here. Soooo glad to hear you're doing awesome post-op! I'm jealous! Not doing quite as well as you. For me the recovery from open surgery has been slow and painful. I'm hanging in there and am making some progress. It just hasn't been easy breezy.

As for BMs - I've had 2 since surgery but I had to use suppositories. They work almost immediately but my body isn't working well on its own yet.

My doc says 30 days until you're out of the danger zone.

I'm so sick of the liquids phase I could puke. I need food. I'm not hungry but eating more calories will help my recovery I think. Only warm or hot liquids are going down for me and my head and stomach are rebelling against anything sweet. It's challenging to get my fluids in.

What protein shakes are you using?

Sorry to be such a downer. I just need to get past this immediate post op stage. My follow up appt is Tuesday. I hope he moves me to puréed and soft foods. I am down 12 pounds since surgery. 22 since the pre-op diet!!

I'm here. Soooo glad to hear you're doing awesome post-op! I'm jealous! Not doing quite as well as you. For me the recovery from open surgery has been slow and painful. I'm hanging in there and am making some progress. It just hasn't been easy breezy.

As for BMs - I've had 2 since surgery but I had to use suppositories. They work almost immediately but my body isn't working well on its own yet.

My doc says 30 days until you're out of the danger zone.

I'm so sick of the liquids phase I could puke. I need food. I'm not hungry but eating more calories will help my recovery I think. Only warm or hot liquids are going down for me and my head and stomach are rebelling against anything sweet. It's challenging to get my fluids in.

What protein shakes are you using?

Sorry to be such a downer. I just need to get past this immediate post op stage. My follow up appt is Tuesday. I hope he moves me to puréed and soft foods. I am down 12 pounds since surgery. 22 since the pre-op diet!!

Oh Jen, It’s so good to hear from you, but OMG, I feel like such a rube! I knew you had to go back in for the re-stitching, but I didn’t know you had it open or were having a tougher time. I am SO sorry that you are having to go through all that. If I would have known all that, I would have NEVER posted all the stuff saying how well I think I’m doing. It almost sounds like bragging. But, it’s mostly because I am an Engineer, a man of science and I analyze EVERY F*@(ing thing to a fault, and I was just totally not understanding how I could be doing so well so quick, that’s all. And, just waiting for something bad to happen because its been going too good…lol. My Dr. said my surgery took 4 hours??? So, I’m not understanding that either? I swear to god, I just don’t get it? But, I am sending you every bit of well wishes and prayer that I can for your quick recovery. I wish I could trade you some, I gladly would.

I use the egg white protein, Healthy-N-Fit, and my body always does real good with that. I haven’t weighed myself yet, and I’m not really planning too. I counted EIGHT IV bags after surgery, so I know I have ton of water weight and it is what it is. It just isn’t even on my mind to do that which is kind of weird for a guy who just says he measures and analyzes everything, go figure? I think that comes mostly from just the pure knowledge and re-assurance of knowing that the DS has to work, given time, so I could care less about the scale and am actually enjoying flipping it off with the ole ceremonial bird!!! :D:D:D

Also...Congratulations on the -22!!!

Last edited:
Oh Jen, It’s so good to hear from you, but OMG, I feel like such a rube! I knew you had to go back in for the re-stitching, but I didn’t know you had it open or were having a tougher time. I am SO sorry that you are having to go through all that. If I would have known all that, I would have NEVER posted all the stuff saying how well I think I’m doing. It almost sounds like bragging. But, it’s mostly because I am an Engineer, a man of science and I analyze EVERY F*@(ing thing to a fault, and I was just totally not understanding how I could be doing so well so quick, that’s all. And, just waiting for something bad to happen because its been going too good…lol. My Dr. said my surgery took 4 hours??? So, I’m not understanding that either? I swear to god, I just don’t get it? But, I am sending you every bit of well wishes and prayer that I can for your quick recovery. I wish I could trade you some, I gladly would.

I use the egg white protein, Healthy-N-Fit, and my body always does real good with that. I haven’t weighed myself yet, and I’m not really planning too. I counted EIGHT IV bags after surgery, so I know I have ton of water weight and it is what it is. It just isn’t even on my mind to do that which is kind of weird for a guy who just says he measures and analyzes everything, go figure? I think that comes mostly from just the pure knowledge and re-assurance of knowing that the DS has to work, given time, so I could care less about the scale and am actually enjoying flipping it off with the ole ceremonial bird!!! :D:D:D

Don't feel bad about being an engineer. I was the only girl in town...in about 1955, give or take...who had an Erector Set. The one with the ferris wheel and record player, I'll have you know. So I understand where you are coming from. In fact, when I go to new doctors, with my three printed pages of surgical history and meds and info on the DS including graphics, I am USUALLY asked if I'm an engineer!

@Jen-2 , Congratulations on making it out of surgery. Most people find recovery a bit more difficult than our lucky friend, @robs477 , but it does get better every day, and though it will seem like forever, in just a few weeks you'll be feeling "normal" or near to it. Wishing you strength and healing!

Don't feel bad about being an engineer. I was the only girl in town...in about 1955, give or take...who had an Erector Set. The one with the ferris wheel and record player, I'll have you know. So I understand where you are coming from. In fact, when I go to new doctors, with my three printed pages of surgical history and meds and info on the DS including graphics, I am USUALLY asked if I'm an engineer!

Yeah, I know Spiky, we're a like in a lot of ways, and...I also see how you always preface your technical related responses about not being a person of science, which is not true either, guess its your modesty..:D

@Jen-2 , Congratulations on making it out of surgery. Most people find recovery a bit more difficult than our lucky friend, @robs477 , but it does get better every day, and though it will seem like forever, in just a few weeks you'll be feeling "normal" or near to it. Wishing you strength and healing!

AND....I LIKE THAT AVATAR EVEN BETTER!!!! :D:D:D:D

Also...Congratulations on the -22!!!

Please don't feel that way. Brag away!! It's nice to hear someone is doing great. Takes my mind off my situation. If you find some good ideas for full liquids please share. I'm tired of broths, tomato soup, applesauce and shakes. Also if you figure out a good way to get regular w BMs let me know. I'm mostly lurking right now bc I don't have a lot to share and don't want to complain. :confused:

I didn't step on the scale until over a week out. I needed some good news. I was happy to see the scale moving down!!

551.jpg
552.jpg

Latest posts

Back